Repairing a broken strap?

Yurippe

Oct 10, 2018
Hello everyone,
I hope I am posting in the right place!
I got a Coach Bailey (I think it goes by different names sometimes?) bag at the end of last year - it was actually my Christmas gift to myself, plus I finished a year at a difficult job. I loved that bag, gorgeous color, just big enough to fit everything I needed, even A4 paper (I guess the US has legal pads?) - and then this summer, the front strap broke. I knew I shouldn't have gotten a bag with non-detachable straps, but I loved this one so much and the guy in the story said it was sturdy (of course he would say that...)

Is there any way to repair a broken strap? Right now I'm thinking of tape and then covering it with a scarf, but I'm so sad about my bag...

• Wow
Reactions: 880
Thank you! I'll try to take one tomorrow when I have more light.
Unfortunately, Coach Japan only does free repairs within a month of purchase.
That's unfortunate, but I feel you, I also did some outlet shopping last year when I was in the US, thankfully my Coach bag I got there held up fine.

That really doesn't look too good, something like this really never happened to me, how did that happen? I mean a scarf would look nice on the handle and people wouldn't know that it broke. Tape might hold it up if you keep the bag fairly light, but I'm not sure it holds if you start loading the bag up. With a strong thread you could reconnect the handle before taping, that might help a bit. Or if you really love the bag I'd get the handles replaced. Maybe you know a workshop in your area doing leather repairs, you most likely won't get the same color, but maybe contrasting handles could look good too.

Reactions: Yurippe
I hope these photos show the problem. Sorry, I'm not good at taking pictures. >.<

View attachment 4878557

View attachment 4878558
Has it completely detached? I would recommend taking it to a cobbler and see if they could do anything. If it was me, though, I would glue it back together with E6000 glue or some type of leather glue and then probably reinforce it with a small piece of leather by wrapping it around the outside and sewing it using the same holes that are on the original strap. It wouldn't be pretty, but I'd cover it up with a scarf. I don't think tape would hold it together for very long.

Hello everyone,
I hope I am posting in the right place!
I got a Coach Bailey (I think it goes by different names sometimes?) bag at the end of last year - it was actually my Christmas gift to myself, plus I finished a year at a difficult job. I loved that bag, gorgeous color, just big enough to fit everything I needed, even A4 paper (I guess the US has legal pads?) - and then this summer, the front strap broke. I knew I shouldn't have gotten a bag with non-detachable straps, but I loved this one so much and the guy in the story said it was sturdy (of course he would say that...)

Is there any way to repair a broken strap? Right now I'm thinking of tape and then covering it with a scarf, but I'm so sad about my bag...

Did you email Coach customer service? I find it highly unlikely that they wouldn’t either repair it at their cost, exchange it or give you store credit. I would either call or email them because that’s not at all a minor issue. I wonder if there was a weakness in the leather.

I just sent them an email, let's see what they say.
Fingers crossed that they can replace the handles or the bag or come up with a solution. It’s a gorgeous bag and color! If they cannot, and you are up for experimentation, i agree with @MrsGAM see if a local cobbler can Re attach it.

For aesthetics, then cover with vet wrap and a twilly scarf? I seem to recall @docride used to recommend vet wrap to make birkin handles more comfy and cushy on the arm. . .