Repair Experience on preloved items

Apr 5, 2012
Could any of you who have experience having preloved items repaired please comment on your experience?

I have a monogram keepall bandouliere I purchased used from Malleries, and I knew going in that the item was quite old and the leather was dried out. Well, after a year or so of use the strap finally broke on me, so I am need of a brand new strap at the minimum. When I was in my local boutique recently for something else, I asked if I could just pay to have a new strap shipped out to me, and they stated that since I did not purchase it directly from LOUIS VUITTON, they could not. But I did not ask about perhaps having the entire item sent out for repair and replacing all of the leather, including the strap. I also have a vintage Montsouris backpack I may eventually want to replace the leather on, although that one is in great shape other than a dark patina and some dirt I need to clean up on it.

So I guess I'm looking for anyone who has been in a similar situation. Did your boutique give you any hassle about having the item repaired? How much did it cost you?

I figure the keepall wouldn't be super expensive since there's not a ton of leather. Maybe $600-900? Any input would be greatly appreciated! I just hate to lug the whole bag down there and be turned down.

Last edited:
I have had pre-loved items repaired before but it was a good few years ago now. It does seem, from reading a few posts on here, that they may have got stricter with that policy but if you don't ask, you'll never know. I wouldn't mention it was pre-loved and just ask for a repair quote and see what questions you are asked, if any.

I got the leather straps replaced on a pre-owned Luco sometime in September 2017. I never mentioned I bought it pre-owned & stated it was a gift. It was $150 per strap to replace if I remember right, & I also replaced all four “chaps” I think they call it (the part that anchors the straps to the bag). That was $75 each, so about $600 total.

Last edited:
Could any of you who have experience having preloved items repaired please comment on your experience?

I have a monogram keepall bandouliere I purchased used from Malleries, and I knew going in that the item was quite old and the leather was dried out. Well, after a year or so of use the strap finally broke on me, so I am need of a brand new strap at the minimum. When I was in my local boutique recently for something else, I asked if I could just pay to have a new strap shipped out to me, and they stated that since I did not purchase it directly from LOUIS VUITTON, they could not. But I did not ask about perhaps having the entire item sent out for repair and replacing all of the leather, including the strap. I also have a vintage Montsouris backpack I may eventually want to replace the leather on, although that one is in great shape other than a dark patina and some dirt I need to clean up on it.

So I guess I'm looking for anyone who has been in a similar situation. Did your boutique give you any hassle about having the item repaired? How much did it cost you?

I figure the keepall wouldn't be super expensive since there's not a ton of leather. Maybe $600-900? Any input would be greatly appreciated! I just hate to lug the whole bag down there and be turned down.
I spent almost $700 on replacing the leather on my NF and $580 replacing the leather on my Speedy 25 so I would assume the cost would be greater than the two on a KA.

I had a couple things repaired in 2016. No one hassled me about it and I didn't buy directly from LV for several years; I think my last item was in 2009-2010...? However, I did buy some items in early 2016; I don't know if that made any difference.

If you're worried about being turned away, I would suggest emailing client services and asking how much it would cost to repair your "gifted" items. Then when you go to the boutique, you can have something in writing in case the boutique tells you they don't want to repair your item.

Otherwise, you can always buy a bandouliere on the secondhand market; I see them all the time. Good luck!

If you have the bandouliere and the strap broke, you can just sell the bag without the strap and then use that towards a pre-owned bag in better condition. If you take the bag into the store they can look up the cost to do the repairs. Also, people sell the straps on ebay.

Reactions: Spardeshi

I went to repair my vintage Louis Vuitton Keepall Bandoulière 50 today(monogram print) The total cost came on 7500kr (about 960 USD) and they are going to replace all of the leather, zipper and handles. I will also receive a new strap + bagtag, so basically you get a brand new bag. The women who helped me was very helpful and kind, she even said she was happy to se that pre-owned items was taken care of.

I went to repair my vintage Louis Vuitton Keepall Bandoulière 50 today(monogram print) The total cost came on 7500kr (about 960 USD) and they are going to replace all of the leather, zipper and handles. I will also receive a new strap + bagtag, so basically you get a brand new bag. The women who helped me was very helpful and kind, she even said she was happy to se that pre-owned items was taken care of.

Do you by chance have a copy of the receipt?