As some of you know, I sent in my petite bucket to the LV boutique so they can send it off and repair it. I called this afternoon to ask if it arrived at their place (just to make sure it arrived safely), and the SA said yes. I thought for a little bit, called back again, and asked when I would receive an estimate for the repairs. He told me that he has to wait for an e-mail (from LV) that would give him the cost, and then he would call me back. I thought I would get a quote right away. Am I being pushed off to the side, or is this normal for some repairs (I realize that my lining was pretty bad)?