Rent The Runway

Jan 5, 2012
There isn't a thread in this forum on this so I thought I would start one.

The concept is genious. But is it really a great experience?

If anyone has used or does use RTR please share your experience(s) with them. I have recently discovered them and want to try it out but hesitant because I do not know of anyone who has used them and haven't seen any stories posted on here about them.

lolitablue

Planning To Be Happy
O.G.
Mar 1, 2007
Florida
www.planningtobehappy.com
There isn't a thread in this forum on this so I thought I would start one.

The concept is genious. But is it really a great experience?

If anyone has used or does use RTR please share your experience(s) with them. I have recently discovered them and want to try it out but hesitant because I do not know of anyone who has used them and haven't seen any stories posted on here about them.
The reviews are great!! Look them up on FB and it should give you the answer!! You will not be dissapointed!!

Jan 5, 2012
Thanks! I suppose I will take my chances and give them a try. Just for signing up I got a coupon code for $25.00 off my first "rental". I shall give it a shot!

JaimesParke

Collaboration Fiend
Jan 25, 2012
Bay Area, CA
I just signed up today as well... I'm trying to think of what I would want to rent. The idea is great but sometimes I feel it would make more sense to just buy something so that I can always go back to it in my closet. But the idea is genius for bridesmaids dresses.

spetses

Jun 2, 2011
Never used but definitely see the appeal of the idea. The problem I have is that even if I wear a dress just a few times, I still want it to be *mine*

Pretty_NYC

Jun 3, 2011
Manhattan
I rented two gorgeous Herve Leger dresses from RTR and had a great experience. The first I chose was a pretty jewel toned purple dress perfect for my 23rd birthday weekend. Then I realized they offered a 2nd style for only $25 more! I ended up with 4 dresses for my (4 day) bday weekend: purple in size S & M and a greenish blue one in sizes S & M. So convenient and such an easy transaction. Totally worth $125 to wear a $1,200+ dress for a weekend. Plus - who wants to be photographed in a dress more than once!? I think the website is an amazing idea.

mkgardner1115

Feb 21, 2011
I also had a great experience with Rent the Runway.

I have a weird shape - large chest and small hips, so, I decided to choose a cocktail dress that comes in sizes S,M and L so I could order two of the three sizes. I received a ton of compliments. The dresses were in perfect condition, and having a return envelope to send back in made it too easy. I just had to seal and return. i will definitely do it again
I also received a couple make up samples in my dress box and taking survey/sending a friend's email allowed you to have a coupon for $25 off good for six months.

C.J.

Mar 5, 2012
The RTR concept is appealing but I'm afraid it's not for everyone. For those who always dispose of last seasons' clothes it's an inexpensive way of showing off the latest fashion. Personally, I'd be afraid that after renting an item my desire to own a specific garment etc. would've only deepened. Then, the cost of renting would be money wasted that could have gone into a lasting designer purchase. So, for "once-in-a-lifetime-dresses" this could be a maybe, otherwise not so much.

miaamelia

Oct 13, 2020
Hello everyone. I have read a concept about renting the runway.
When the Harvard Business School classmates Jennifer Hyman and Jenny Fleiss started Rent the Runway in 2009, their concept was simple: Customers choose a dress, rent it for a few days and then send it back to the company in a prepaid envelope. A Christian Siriano dress that sells for $1,200? Yours to rent for $150.

Now, 10 years later, the clothing rental concept has been copied many times over, but RTR keeps finding new ways to stay ahead of the pack. Last May it introduced Platform, curated capsule collections from 39 brands, including J. Crew, Levi's, and Club Monaco. Up until now, those brands haven't been part of the subscription economy, but through RTR, customers can rent their apparel.

The company estimates that by the end of this year, apparel for Platform will account for 25% of RTR's inventory. And to make clothing rentals even easier, RTR introduced a drop-off service in October. Six cities — New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington, D.C., and Miami — now have drop-off boxes in 20 WeWork locations. The company says subscribers are increasing their usage in the cities with the boxes, and additional locations (hotels, gyms, residential buildings) are being planned. All of these moves helped the company reach 11 million members to date.

miaamelia

Oct 13, 2020
The firm forecasts that apparel for Platform will account for 25
percent of RTR 's inventory by the end of this year.
And in October, RTR implemented a drop-off
service to make clothing rentals even easier.
Six cities have drop-off boxes in 20 WeWork locations now, including New
York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington, D.C., and Miami.
The business says subscribers are increasing their use of boxes in
the cities and there are additional places (hotels, gyms, residential buildings)

Scheduled.
All these measures have helped the
the group reaches 11 million members to date.