Renovating my pre-owned m/l Chanel '05

Wittygirl

@wittygirl
O.G.
Nov 26, 2011
I recently got this beautiful pink caviar m/l in a second-hand bag store in London. It was a good price for Chanel.! Not cheap, but less than 50% of the current RRP, due to the wear, particularly on the back and the loose stitches. I love a challenge and had to purchase her and I'm so glad I did.

There are some excellent and interesting threads on the Balenciaga maintenance section about people renovating their bags, which were hugely educational. The ladies did some amazing jobs there. This is at a much smaller scale, but if it helps anyone please have a read. :smile:

I've posted the photos on my instagram- harpers_uk, too.

Reactions: celialow and Zasha
This is a picture I found online showing the code/year and colour of the bag.
It's a beautiful rose pink with coral undertones.

Attachments

• IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 658
"Before" photos- lots of wear to the back, and some strange marks on the back pocket- unsure if they were dye transfer, they may have been grease marks but nothing shifted them.

Attachments

• IMG_1125.JPG
    IMG_1125.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_1129.JPG
    IMG_1129.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_1130.JPG
    IMG_1130.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 713
Chanel boutique in London kindly repaired the stitches for me. It took them about 10 minutes. :flowers:

Following on from this I got leather dye and mixed red, white, oxide red leather dye together to match the colour .

I used a fine brush to dye the edge of the back pocket, the edges around the front flap and the corner where the colour had worn off. The back pocket with the marks was harder to do. In the end I applied the colour very lightly with a sponge and let it dry...

Fabulous job!!! What a great deal. I think if I'd bought a bag this colour new, I'd be scared to use it, but I feel much more carefree with preloved items.

I'm in the process of dyeing a faded lambskin key holder that I've just bought as a rescue job. Got a bit over exited and forgot to put gloves on. My hands will look interesting for the next few days!!!

Reactions: juicygirl82