Removing fat from fat transfer to face

Lol... Not a good one unfortunately. Ftransfer is a much more complicated surgery than one might think & requires so much technical skill/good grasp of aesthetics. It's not like using a temp filler, period, but some surgeons stuff a face in 30 mins and wonder why it all looks lumpy and terrible after.

Adding a lot in one go is almost always a bad idea. You can always go back and have more fat, better to spend the time and $ rather than end up with a real problem. Putting too much fat to certain areas can seriously disrupt the balance of the face. For eg my own face looks longer, harder and narrower because too much was added at the front and my cheeks are being pulled down.

Most surgeons don't seem to 'get' this...very few B&As in online Internet examples display a sense of artistry in my personal opinion. Most of the surgeons' "good" B&As seem to show people with too much fat to the top of the cheeks which looks ridiculous in almost everyone and quite disturbing In some cases. The ftransfers I like online are on Dr Karam's site (US) because his patients actually look very normal and NATURAL after... !
I went to that doctor. I'm now miserable & trying desperately to figure out how to get the fat removed. The scars from the bleph are bad, and the fat is lumpy & in horrible places. I feel like my face was completely botched. I don't even think it's about the doctor, but this ridiculous procedure in general. It just shouldn't be allowed. My doctor put WAY too much fat in...and in such a strange place on my face. Nobody I know has fat right under the sides of their eyes. My face protrudes out near my eyes & I look totally weird. I am horrified. AVOID.

undofat,

How long has it been since your procedure? I'm really sorry you are going through this. I know the feeling. My primary rhinoplasty was really bad, and I was so depressed afterwards. It's a devastating to feel like you've messed up your face. I hope your find a way to correct it. There seems to be quite a few patients on realself.com with the same problem and they are all looking for ways to remove the fat. Some of them have had some success.

I almost went to the same doctor as you. His before/after gallery is impressive and I live in the area, but I read on Yelp that he makes patients sign a waiver to not post negative reviews online, which really turned me off. Also, there appeared to be fake positive reviews on realself.com. Very sketchy.

I wanted to share my experience with fat grafting. I got fat grafting done 25 days ago in Korea. They call it "microlipoinjection" there. They seem to have a different approach in Korea. Instead of overfilling, they add a little bit, and many patients need a second or third treatment. The difference on my face is very subtle. I'm actually worried that it will completely resorb and my face will look as gaunt as it did before. At this point it seems like I will need a second treatment.

Seriously, I think the doctors in Korea are very talented and skilled since plastic surgery is so common there. Fat grafting is commonly done on people in their 20's to enhance their features such as augmenting the forehead. I've seen people with the procedure done in person and it looks natural. Since fat grafting is so common there, I wonder if they also have a lot of experience in removing fat grafting? Undofat, maybe you can inquire at some of the major Korean clinics? If you need more info, let me know.

Please avoid this procedure. It's terrible. The surgeon I went to is mentioned in Heylo's post. I would NOT recommend going to him...or anyone else. I think he's a nice guy & perhaps some of his patients are happy...but not me. I can't un-do the fat transfer or the bleph. The stitches (scars/lines) are in a terrible place & visible (although he said they wouldn't be). The fat is placed into the face when a person is not making a face, but rather being completely still. So, they have no way of knowing what it'll look like when you smile. In my case, my face looks extremely wide (I look like I gained a lot of weight)...and when I smile, it's really horrible. I used to like being in pictures...but now I completely avoid them. I can't stand looking at myself & often cry about it. I'm really hoping that my body will reabsorb the fat & am hoping to hear from some people who've had the fat reabsorbed. I would want to correct the procedure, but was told that it couldn't be done (at least not by my doctor). That concerns me as well. Why would a doctor who performs this type of procedure not be able to correct it? It's awful. I really should've stuck with filler...they're much cheaper & they can be removed very easily. I'm now permanently stuck with a face that is much worse & I am having a very difficult time dealing with it. The emotional trauma is definitely not worth it. And...in my doctor's case...I can't post anything about him on Yelp, because he has his patients sign something about not posting anything...which is why I don't mention his name. I'm not trying to point out my doctor specifically, but am wanting to warn people about doing this procedure in general. It can't be un-done...so it's too big of a gamble. It's your face. If you stick with fillers, you can always re-do, un-do, etc. But with a fat transfer...who knows what you'll end up looking like. DON'T DO IT.

Hi Undofat I'm sorry I mentioned that name. I've since been told that a lot of the reviews he gets put online are fake. You make such good points about fat transfer... like the way they put it in without considering how it moves with your face when you smile. I have the horrible shelfs under my eyes. And yes, why don't they learn how to correct it if they're the ones performing the procedure?! I think it can be undone to a certain extent. I pray to god it can be anyway as I look horrendous and have too much volume in the middle face which makes me look weird and old. I know that the original poster got a correction for his fat transfer so it might be worth going to one of the doctors mentioned in his thread? I was thinking that. Yes everyone, stick with fillers. Fat transfers are a big gamble and I will regret it until the day I die. And also, why do doctors use SO MUCh fat transfer when it cannot be undone yet they are conservative with temporary filler? Why would someone who until now would only need a few syringes of filler and then all of a sudden they need 20 times as much with fat!! :nuts:

Bumping up this thread and hoping that someone who had this procedure will share their experience. Has the fat resorbed like 3-6 months post-op?

Mine has absorbed in my face..very little stayed a year and a half later..
though I did love the results.

One place it did work well is my brow bone/brow area..
lifted my brows nicely..
I no longer need botox as frequently..

But in my face, under my eyes, laugh line area..can't really see where it has stayed..maybe 15%...

Undofat & heylo - this guy needs to be reported to the states medical board & any groups he belongs to. If he is even licensed to do these procedures.
So sorry that you guys are having problems.

Thanks VLL. I know other patients of the doctor I went to who have also experienced similar problems from his surgery. So I think it's mostly the doctor who does the fat grafting rather than the fat itself. There is no need to put too much fat in when like asin you have it in stages, but some use big volumes and have funny aesthetics. I don't think 90% of people want more than a subtle change, but too many of us ended up looking like someone else.

This is so sad to read. I'm feal very sorry for the women that have had this procedure done. Thank you for sharing your stories and helping me (and probably many others) make the discussion to NOT have this procedure done. I consulted with a Doctor about having this done a couple of years ago. He almost talked me into it, sounded great at the time, but not after reading this!

undofat,

How long has it been since your procedure? I'm really sorry you are going through this. I know the feeling. My primary rhinoplasty was really bad, and I was so depressed afterwards. It's a devastating to feel like you've messed up your face. I hope your find a way to correct it. There seems to be quite a few patients on realself.com with the same problem and they are all looking for ways to remove the fat. Some of them have had some success.

I almost went to the same doctor as you. His before/after gallery is impressive and I live in the area, but I read on Yelp that he makes patients sign a waiver to not post negative reviews online, which really turned me off. Also, there appeared to be fake positive reviews on realself.com. Very sketchy.

I wanted to share my experience with fat grafting. I got fat grafting done 25 days ago in Korea. They call it "microlipoinjection" there. They seem to have a different approach in Korea. Instead of overfilling, they add a little bit, and many patients need a second or third treatment. The difference on my face is very subtle. I'm actually worried that it will completely resorb and my face will look as gaunt as it did before. At this point it seems like I will need a second treatment.

Seriously, I think the doctors in Korea are very talented and skilled since plastic surgery is so common there. Fat grafting is commonly done on people in their 20's to enhance their features such as augmenting the forehead. I've seen people with the procedure done in person and it looks natural. Since fat grafting is so common there, I wonder if they also have a lot of experience in removing fat grafting? Undofat, maybe you can inquire at some of the major Korean clinics? If you need more info, let me know.
Hi there,

I intend to do fat graft on cheeks in korea too.. but still considering as i read about some bad reviews so a bit worried. May i know which clinic & doctor in korea u went for fat graft on cheeks? Are u satisfied with the result by now?

Last edited:
I had fat transfer (stomach) into my laugh lines and different wrinkles around my mouth and on my forehead. Basically into deep wrinkles. My PS suggested I do this the first time I had injectibles.
I have since had a Radiance/Juvederm combo but the fat transfer lasted longer.
I think the problem lies with the PS not injecting the fat properly.

Last year when I was in Asia, I saw a lot of advertising about fat transfer for facial volume restoration, but also for breast enhancement.

I was chatting with the junior consultant physician while my bf was doing a consultation for bleph, about breast implants vs fat transfer, because in theory it seems to be ideal since it would be an autologous transplant with no maintenance requirements like you would have with a traditional implant. Apparently though, as some of you have mentioned, a lot of times scar tissue development causes the fat to harden and become lumpy, not something you want your breasts to be.

My question is, how many of you who did facial fat transplant (and breast fat transplant-I haven't heard of a single person who underwent this procedure) experienced this side effect?

Please avoid this procedure. It's terrible. The surgeon I went to is mentioned in Heylo's post. I would NOT recommend going to him...or anyone else. I think he's a nice guy & perhaps some of his patients are happy...but not me. I can't un-do the fat transfer or the bleph. The stitches (scars/lines) are in a terrible place & visible (although he said they wouldn't be). The fat is placed into the face when a person is not making a face, but rather being completely still. So, they have no way of knowing what it'll look like when you smile. In my case, my face looks extremely wide (I look like I gained a lot of weight)...and when I smile, it's really horrible. I used to like being in pictures...but now I completely avoid them. I can't stand looking at myself & often cry about it. I'm really hoping that my body will reabsorb the fat & am hoping to hear from some people who've had the fat reabsorbed. I would want to correct the procedure, but was told that it couldn't be done (at least not by my doctor). That concerns me as well. Why would a doctor who performs this type of procedure not be able to correct it? It's awful. I really should've stuck with filler...they're much cheaper & they can be removed very easily. I'm now permanently stuck with a face that is much worse & I am having a very difficult time dealing with it. The emotional trauma is definitely not worth it. And...in my doctor's case...I can't post anything about him on Yelp, because he has his patients sign something about not posting anything...which is why I don't mention his name. I'm not trying to point out my doctor specifically, but am wanting to warn people about doing this procedure in general. It can't be un-done...so it's too big of a gamble. It's your face. If you stick with fillers, you can always re-do, un-do, etc. But with a fat transfer...who knows what you'll end up looking like. DON'T DO IT.

I love this forum - Karam was on top of my list!!! Have u seen the amazing subtle fg by Korean Dr Lee at Wave PS in Los Angeles. The horror stories of old where u look like u have put in weight should not happen anymore.

hey undo fat, i had the same procedure done from the same dr. now i have lumps and asymmetries and fat where u describe it. when i smile i look like a chipmunk...the fat on the upper cherks corner of the eyes is all bunching up. the dr is denying doing fat there, but i have proof and before and after pics. a dr said, he will microliposuction it, but i have to wait because i did filler to mask it and my face has to settle. i look horrendous! doc is very nice to tell u u are on your own.

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to ask if anyone knows about or has had fat removed from a fat transfer operation? I had fat injected into my cheeks two years ago, which seemed like a nice idea, but the surgeon injected way too much. Now I want to remove some of the fat but I understand it can be difficult. I have consulted with a couple of doctors, like Dr Woffles Wu in Singapore and Dr Richard Fleming from the US, and the best method seems to be through microliposuction.

Has anyone been through this or know of any doctors that have experience doing this? Thank you so much.
hey undo fat, i had the same procedure done from the same dr. now i have lumps and asymmetries and fat where u describe it. when i smile i look like a chipmunk...the fat on the upper cherks corner of the eyes is all bunching up. the dr is denying doing fat there, but i have proof and before and after pics. a dr said, he will microliposuction it, but i have to wait because i did filler to mask it and my face has to settle. i look horrendous! doc is very nice to tell u u are on your own.