Removing blood stain from scarf

ScottyGal

Jul 28, 2014
Hi guys

Quick question - I had a cut on my finger that I didn't see, touched my Alexander McQueen scarf, and now there is a bloody stain on it (see pic).

The scarf is a whitey/cream colour, so it is pretty visible, however if there is no way to safely remove it without damage then I can live with it and style the scarf so it doesn't show.

Any suggestions as to how I can get this out without damaging the scarf? It is the chiffon/silk type scarf.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Attachments

• 1408918426270.jpg
    1408918426270.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 431
With blood the sooner you treat it, the easier it is to get out.

I've hand washed my silk scarves (YSL, Pucci, Brooks Brothers) with no problems. I use a little bit of Purpose (aka baby shampoo) and a drop of vinegar. I've had good luck with the Magic Wand: http://www.joann.com/prym-dritz-magic-wand-stick-cleaner-carded/1016534.html in removing some blood stains out of cottons. The Laundress also make a stain remover liquid and Nordstrom carries a fine fabric laundry wash that has great reviews too.

Oxi Clean Stain Remover. It works really really good. I had blood on my shirt from when I gave blood. It took it right out.

Sent from my iPad using PurseForum

Hi guys

Thank you for all the suggestions - I am on holiday at the moment, so do not have all my usual cleaning supplies to hand! I will see if I can get something in the store here and if not I will try the Oxi Super White power I have at home.

Hi guys

Thank you for all the suggestions - I am on holiday at the moment, so do not have all my usual cleaning supplies to hand! I will see if I can get something in the store here and if not I will try the Oxi Super White power I have at home.
You just need COLD water and a gentle liquid soap and to treat this ASAP or the stain will set in. You don't need any special detergents. I hand wash my McQueen chiffon scarves all the time. Since it has already been two days, I hope the stain will wash out. I certainly wouldn't wait until you get home....

Try working from the back of the stain. ALWAYS use COOL water.
Place a white towel under the stain to absorb the water. Wet the blood stain with cool water. Rub a soft brush (I use a soft make-up brow brush ) over a bar of laundry soap such as Fels Naptha and work from the outside of the blood stain to the inside, VERY gently. You could also use a facecloth that you have rubbed over the Naptha soap and BLOT at the stain (less abrasion) Rinse the area with cool water. Blot up as much of the water as possible with a clean white towel and allow to air dry. You may need to repeat this procedure.

You could also try distilled vinegar and distilled water mixed together,and BLOT;don't rub.

If you fail to remove the stain, try dying it over in a darker colour. better than throwing it away.

P.S. I'd be soaking this scarf (or at least the bloody area), and not letting the blood set in for days.

Try working from the back of the stain. ALWAYS use COOL water.
Place a white towel under the stain to absorb the water. Wet the blood stain with cool water. Rub a soft brush (I use a soft make-up brow brush ) over a bar of laundry soap such as Fels Naptha and work from the outside of the blood stain to the inside, VERY gently. You could also use a facecloth that you have rubbed over the Naptha soap and BLOT at the stain (less abrasion) Rinse the area with cool water. Blot up as much of the water as possible with a clean white towel and allow to air dry. You may need to repeat this procedure.

You could also try distilled vinegar and distilled water mixed together,and BLOT;don't rub.

If you fail to remove the stain, try dying it over in a darker colour. better than throwing it away.

P.S. I'd be soaking this scarf (or at least the bloody area), and not letting the blood set in for days.

I was reluctant to use water and soap to begin with as I thought it could mess up the dark navy/black skulls, however I just done it there using a facecloth and some face wash and it worked! No more stain and the black skulls have survived too.

Many thanks for all suggestions everyone, with it being such a delicate scarf (and me only moving out recently and doing my own washing) I am not very well versed in what you can and cannot put on certain fabrics :smile:.

I was reluctant to use water and soap to begin with as I thought it could mess up the dark navy/black skulls, however I just done it there using a facecloth and some face wash and it worked! No more stain and the black skulls have survived too.

Many thanks for all suggestions everyone, with it being such a delicate scarf (and me only moving out recently and doing my own washing) I am not very well versed in what you can and cannot put on certain fabrics :smile:.

Yippee! Good for you! It's such a cool scarf!