Remember to check the bags - Almost bought a ripped Berkeley!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi Ladies,

First time posting (other than to authenticate), and wanted to share a story and reminder!

I've been dying to get the Azur Berkeley, got out of work early enough this week to go and get it right before closing. Salespeople were unfriendly and unhelpful, as usual, but I knew that it was 15 minutes before closing time, and it's LV in Manhattan - they're never very nice. I walked up to an SA, requested to see the Azur Berkeley, and she brought me the Ebene because the Azur was not on display and they only had one left. Fine. I looked at the Ebene, said that I liked it, but that I wanted the Azur. To buy. Right then. After this, she dug through some drawers to find the Azur, pulled it out of the dustbag and left it near her, and immediately started to ring me up.

While she was entering the information I pulled the bag closer to me and started to inspect it. I immediately noticed that on the side she had turned towards her, there was a LARGE and noticeable snag in the vachetta in piping on the side. It looked like someone's ring or watch had snagged the seam and had torn away a decent chunk (about a 1/2 inch) of the vachetta with it. Her first reaction was to poke at the defect with her nail to see how bad it really was. My reaction was to tell her if it's clearly and obviously damaged, I'm not paying $1600 for it ...

She stopped the purchase and took my information in case they got another in stock, but I'm kind of hesitant to go through with it based on that omen.

Long story short - a reminder to look at the bags carefully before you buy! Just because they're new doesn't mean they're perfect or in "new" condition ...

2. Can you just order online? If there is a problem with it when it arrives, return it to that store. This way you eliminate the wait and the rule workers....cause that is all they are.:okay:

3. Thank you for the reminder:ghi5:

4. I might buy online in the future, but I do like the idea of being able to look at things before actually purchasing. I realize I probably shouldn't have posted in this forum (oops!) but I was reading a lot of stories about problems people are noticing in their new bags, and I couldn't help but think of my recent experience and wonder how many of those could have been pre-exisiting.

5. I believe the bag had something wrong with it, but this is a little hard to believe.

It would take more than a ring on someone's finger to tear vachetta.

Could have been the vachetta was improperly cut at the factory, in which case defects do happen.

6. #6 Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    When I buy LV, I always buy in the store instead of online so that I can inspect the purse before bringing it home. I always ask to see several of the same purse so that I can compare to see if there are any flaws. Luckily, since I always use the same SA, she is very understanding and will always bring out several of same the purse for me to examine.

If you buy online and get a defective purse, it may sometimes be difficult when returning it either back to online or to the LV store as the customer service scrutinizes the returns and may deny the return. There are horror stories about trying to return LV purses to the store on tPF. Luckily, I have not had any problems when I have had to return or exchange a purse.

It's good that the OP caught the defective purse prior to closing the sale. However, note, I wouldn't wait until 15 minutes before store closing to purchase a purse. I have been known to take 30 minutes to 60 minutes just reviewing several of the same item at LV - so I try to go earlier in the evening or on a weekend when purchasing LV. The SA was probably cranky also due to the fact that the store was going to close soon for the evening.

7. I am not surprised. While the price of LV continues to go up, the quality is going down. It is a good thing you caught the defect!