Remember Me Thursday

My applications were dismissed because I didn't have a fence (which is ridiculous considering how many people leave their dogs outside alone), and another rescue group would not look at my application because of my local. The rescue group that dismissed my application is no longer a functioning organization, and I'm not surprised.
I realize there is an emotional component to rescuing a pet in need, but they have to realize some pet homes are good without being a crazy dog owner like many of us here on this forum. Believe me, I'm a crazy dog lady! There is nothing I would not do for my fur kids!

I hear what you are saying. Our application for our first retired racing greyhound was rejected on the grounds that we did not have a fence. We were very educated on the fact that greyhounds must be leash-walked at all times, if they do not have a fenced bathroom area, and were committed to that. It did not make any difference to that particular rescue group. :nogood:

Months later, we had a fenced yard, and adopted a retired racing greyhound... from a different rescue.

This afternoon, the humane society had a little truck outside of our local grocery store, with kitties and pups available for adoption. My cats and dogs have all been "rescues", and they are wonderful. It made me sad to see the senior pets, that were up for adoption. I'd like to say, from experience, that senior pets can make a truly wonderful addition to your household. :heart:

I was a member of a grant committee for a rescue foundation that raised money for breed specific rescue groups, and part of the grant process required rescue groups to submit adoption applications and adoption guidelines. What we saw more often than not, were adoption guidelines so stringent, that members of our committee would not qualify for adoption.:shocked: The adoption guidelines drove the average adopter away.
Why would anyone submit to that kind of scrutiny when they can get a puppy for a few hundred dollars more, no questions asked.
I'm not advocating backyard breeding or pet shop purchases, but when you look at the process, it's easy to see why many would just go buy a puppy.

My applications were dismissed because I didn't have a fence (which is ridiculous considering how many people leave their dogs outside alone), and another rescue group would not look at my application because of my local. The rescue group that dismissed my application is no longer a functioning organization, and I'm not surprised.
I realize there is an emotional component to rescuing a pet in need, but they have to realize some pet homes are good without being a crazy dog owner like many of us here on this forum. Believe me, I'm a crazy dog lady! There is nothing I would not do for my fur kids!

I also believe there is huge difference in breeders. I have worked with several reputable breeders in the rescue world. Yes, reputable breeders breed and rescue. A reputable breeder will stay in contact with the puppy parents for the life of the dog, supporting the owner through any potential problems, will always be available to answer questions, and will always, always, take their dog back at any stage of the dog's life- no questions asked. I send my dog's breeder pictures and updates all the time.

Also, spay and neutering is another hot topic, but the future of spay and neutering is changing. There was a time that I thought only responsible pet owners spayed and neutered, and would look down on any pet owner who left their animal intact. Large breed dogs are left intact for long term health reasons. DVMs are now realizing the negative side effects to early spay and neutering, and that it is not a one size fits all. Ten years or maybe sooner, we will have the option of sterilizing without de-sexing.

I mention the spay/neuter issue because I've noticed more and more intact animals when I'm at the vet's office or dog events. It's too easy to sit in judgment of other people, I know, I was guilty of that at one time.
I will always choose what is best for my beloved fur child and refuse to knowingly do something that may harm them long term to be politically correct.
Articles written by our vet
http://thehealthyplanet.com/2013/07/should-you-neuter-your-male-dog/
http://thehealthyplanet.com/2013/10/should-you-spay-your-dog/

Well put! Breeders are great, no problem with these. But I will never support puppy mills or puppy pet shops.

To this day my parents are in touch with our newf breeder. When we bought our last two dogs (sable and gryphon) we were interviewed very thoroughly to see if we even qualified to own a Newfie dog! Reputable breeders are VERY protective of their puppies and where they go.

our last 3 dogs were adopted from shelters & rescue organizations. we will always adopt from shelters. our beloved german shepherd passed a week ago from kidney failure. we only had him for 2 years & are blown away as he could not have been older than 4 or 5. our other dog misses him. we will adopt another when we are ready - considering a senior because they are laid back and need extra love.

Blue is from a breeder. He's our first dog ever -neither my husband nor I had one growing up.
We wanted a specific breed, and wanted to go through all their stages. Puppy hood to adult.
We thought we found a responsible breeder, but looking back, I'm not so sure.

Wellie is a "rescue" that never made it to a "rescue". His owners dumped him at Blue's trainers house with the excuse that the wife can't handle the shedding. We took him.

In the future I'd like to foster older bulldogs. These babies generally need more medical care and are harder to place since you do need someone familiar with the breed, or there's a high chance they'll be back in rescue.