Remember Me Thursday

I don't want to turn this into a rant, but I truly don't understand why anyone these days would buy from a *breeder* (I'm in NC, puppy mill capital of the US and our legislators won't pass a law regulating them) or a pet store. There are wonderful animals out there who deserve a loving home.

I don't want to turn this into a rant, but I truly don't understand why anyone these days would buy from a *breeder* (I'm in NC, puppy mill capital of the US and our legislators won't pass a law regulating them) or a pet store. There are wonderful animals out there who deserve a loving home.

Rant away. I don't understand it either.

All my current cats were strays. The others were stray, pound or give aways. I too am a bawl baby when I see those commercials. I always donate at the PetSmart/Petco checkout. I can't even think of an animal shelter/pound without breaking into tears. I remember poor Wendell---so heartbreaking. I just couldn't live with myself if I bought a pet instead of rescuing/adopting. There are so many perfectly wonderful animals that are killed (I HATE it called being put to sleep)
this picture is heartbreaking
My cats were both rescues - one from the shelter and one who showed up at our back door
I agree, rescue is the only way to go. I think somehow they know and appreciate when you save their life.

I agree with you. But I guess a lot of people want a specific breed and want to know who the parents were, etc.
Or they're just impulsive and buy from a pet shop.

I had some friends who were very wealthy. Their older cat died and they were going to buy two Maine Coons. Being very conscientious people, they thought again about it and adopted two "regular" DSH cats.
I can see the appeal of a pure-bred dog or cat but if that's what you really want, they can be rescued too.

I rescued a dog and adopted two "non show worthy" dogs from breeders. Found homes for 2 of the three described. My non show worthy pet is nothing but a joy in my life. He came into my life when the chips were down. Stayed by my side when everything got shut off and licked my hand and face despite all my tears. He's been my buddy through and through. Heck he even befriended the homeless, gangsters and druggies when I worked at the ghetto. LOL had to keep the exposure to a minimum as apparently he was absorbing too much gawd knows what of the filthy street - yacked his brains out following days.

My beau's cat is a rescue and he claims she is much more energetic now that I've been around (with the many lil toys and introduction to cat grass). She is a sweet girl who meows whenever she hears my voice on the phone and immediately starts headbutting his chair. Sweet lil thing even waits by my suitcase to say bye whenever I leave! She is absolutely adorable.

Pet are just wonderful overall. I can't imagine my life without one.

this picture is heartbreaking
My cats were both rescues - one from the shelter and one who showed up at our back door
I agree, rescue is the only way to go. I think somehow they know and appreciate when you save their life.

IMO that picture should be shown to anyone wanting to buy from a breeder

I agree with you. But I guess a lot of people want a specific breed and want to know who the parents were, etc.
Or they're just impulsive and buy from a pet shop.

I had some friends who were very wealthy. Their older cat died and they were going to buy two Maine Coons. Being very conscientious people, they thought again about it and adopted two "regular" DSH cats.
I can see the appeal of a pure-bred dog or cat but if that's what you really want, they can be rescued too.

Exactly! At one time I was enamored of silver tabbies. I ended up with a pound tabby (the best cat in the world!!!) instead who was scheduled to be killed later that day. He wound up being my soul mate for the remaining 18 years of his life

This was my candle today. It was not just for the pets, but also for the 144 victims of PSA Flight 182 Sept 25, 1978 9:02 AM :sad:

Attachments

• IMG_20140925_163656_353_zpsbqhrhysr.jpg
    IMG_20140925_163656_353_zpsbqhrhysr.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 118
We were channel surfing this morning and watched a segment on some animal show about Ragamuffin cats. So cute. This is the kind of thing that would tempt me to buy from a breeder. But I know there are so many adorable kitties that need a home so I wouldn't do it. (Plus I'm sure they're very expensive)

We were channel surfing this morning and watched a segment on some animal show about Ragamuffin cats. So cute. This is the kind of thing that would tempt me to buy from a breeder. But I know there are so many adorable kitties that need a home so I wouldn't do it. (Plus I'm sure they're very expensive)

Maybe like dogs, there are specific cat rescues? Obviously we love boxers and search out a reputable boxer rescue group. They always have more boxers needing homes than there are potential homes for them.

Back before we knew much about the whole issue, we bought a puppy from a show boxer breeder. They had a female they thought was show quality and didn't want to sell to us since we weren't *dog show people*. No other buyer came along and they did sell her to us. It turned out as she grew she became larger and stockier than the desirable show boxer size so that wouldn't have worked anyway. She didn't live long either--died at age 5 from lymphoma. So breeders don't know how their best dogs will turn out. She had a happy life though--big yard, kids to play with and lots of love. She was our last puppy. After that we adopted.

Maybe like dogs, there are specific cat rescues? Obviously we love boxers and search out a reputable boxer rescue group. They always have more boxers needing homes than there are potential homes for them.

Back before we knew much about the whole issue, we bought a puppy from a show boxer breeder. They had a female they thought was show quality and didn't want to sell to us since we weren't *dog show people*. No other buyer came along and they did sell her to us. It turned out as she grew she became larger and stockier than the desirable show boxer size so that wouldn't have worked anyway. She didn't live long either--died at age 5 from lymphoma. So breeders don't know how their best dogs will turn out. She had a happy life though--big yard, kids to play with and lots of love. She was our last puppy. After that we adopted.
Bless you for being such a responsible doggie mommy
I'm with you. Right now, we have two older cats and that's enough
If I were to want another one, I'd consider adopting a full grown young kitty
Kittens are all adorable but all their activity can be a bit tiresome and with a grown cat you can see more of the personality

I don't know as much about dogs. We had them growing up but my mom did the potty training with the puppies. I would think if we added a dog to the household with cats, we would want either a puppy so the cats could be boss or an adult dog that was used to cats. Adult dog would have the advantage of being potty trained.

We tried to rescue a wolfhound but no rescue organization would let us since we didn't have experience with the breed. I searched and applied nationwide for over 2 years. The wolfhound club actively remove any that may arrive in shelters and then screen applicants themselves. They wouldn't accept that we'd fostered and had Newfies before, which are in the same category of size. So while I understand that rescuing is the responsible/moral choice, I understand why some go to breeders. There is no other way in most specialized cases to be able to share your home with such breeds. Now that we have a wolfhound, we're qualified to rescue one in the future.

We wanted a Mainecoon last year and never thought to be able to rescue one, much less find a kitten. There were never any at our local shelters. But thanks to this forum and the suggestion of a tPFer, we expanded our search statewide and after a few months lucked out with Hagar. We had to drive several hours, but it was worth it to know we were rescuing a little guy that had been on the streets. I only regret not being able to take all his siblings.

I hope my post doesn't offend anyone. I just wanted to explain our decision to recently go the breeder route. I understand it's a heated topic.

We tried to rescue a wolfhound but no rescue organization would let us since we didn't have experience with the breed. I searched and applied nationwide for over 2 years. The wolfhound club actively remove any that may arrive in shelters and then screen applicants themselves. They wouldn't accept that we'd fostered and had Newfies before, which are in the same category of size. So while I understand that rescuing is the responsible/moral choice, I understand why some go to breeders. There is no other way in most specialized cases to be able to share your home with such breeds. Now that we have a wolfhound, we're qualified to rescue one in the future.

We wanted a Mainecoon last year and never thought to be able to rescue one, much less find a kitten. There were never any at our local shelters. But thanks to this forum and the suggestion of a tPFer, we expanded our search statewide and after a few months lucked out with Hagar. We had to drive several hours, but it was worth it to know we were rescuing a little guy that had been on the streets. I only regret not being able to take all his siblings.

I hope my post doesn't offend anyone. I just wanted to explain our decision to recently go the breeder route. I understand it's a heated topic.

I think you've voiced this perfectly. There's nothing wrong with going with a breeder after searching for as long as you did. Growing up we rescued one newf but couldn't find others years later. We went with a breeder after our first newf passed at 12 years old.

Rescue when you can but there's also a place for breeders, as certain characteristics of breeds fit into families better than others. Which is why we always had newfs. We love our leaning passive lazy carpet dogs 😊

no judgment here....your sincerely tried to rescue a dog and you went to trouble to rescue a kitty

I was a member of a grant committee for a rescue foundation that raised money for breed specific rescue groups, and part of the grant process required rescue groups to submit adoption applications and adoption guidelines. What we saw more often than not, were adoption guidelines so stringent, that members of our committee would not qualify for adoption.:shocked: The adoption guidelines drove the average adopter away.
Why would anyone submit to that kind of scrutiny when they can get a puppy for a few hundred dollars more, no questions asked.
I'm not advocating backyard breeding or pet shop purchases, but when you look at the process, it's easy to see why many would just go buy a puppy.

My applications were dismissed because I didn't have a fence (which is ridiculous considering how many people leave their dogs outside alone), and another rescue group would not look at my application because of my local. The rescue group that dismissed my application is no longer a functioning organization, and I'm not surprised.
I realize there is an emotional component to rescuing a pet in need, but they have to realize some pet homes are good without being a crazy dog owner like many of us here on this forum. Believe me, I'm a crazy dog lady! There is nothing I would not do for my fur kids!

I also believe there is huge difference in breeders. I have worked with several reputable breeders in the rescue world. Yes, reputable breeders breed and rescue. A reputable breeder will stay in contact with the puppy parents for the life of the dog, supporting the owner through any potential problems, will always be available to answer questions, and will always, always, take their dog back at any stage of the dog's life- no questions asked. I send my dog's breeder pictures and updates all the time.

Also, spay and neutering is another hot topic, but the future of spay and neutering is changing. There was a time that I thought only responsible pet owners spayed and neutered, and would look down on any pet owner who left their animal intact. Large breed dogs are left intact for long term health reasons. DVMs are now realizing the negative side effects to early spay and neutering, and that it is not a one size fits all. Ten years or maybe sooner, we will have the option of sterilizing without de-sexing.

I mention the spay/neuter issue because I've noticed more and more intact animals when I'm at the vet's office or dog events. It's too easy to sit in judgment of other people, I know, I was guilty of that at one time.
I will always choose what is best for my beloved fur child and refuse to knowingly do something that may harm them long term to be politically correct.
Articles written by our vet
http://thehealthyplanet.com/2013/07/should-you-neuter-your-male-dog/
http://thehealthyplanet.com/2013/10/should-you-spay-your-dog/

Last edited: