Relatively inexpensive brands that hold up

I'm in the market for a new tote bag. I need a big one, one that will fit a heavy Bible that is about 13" long by maybe 8" and 2" thick. And a bunch of other things. I just want to make sure whatever I get will survive with that kind of weight and won't fall apart quickly. I'm not too familiar with brands and I just want a simple design. Any suggestions for brands I should check out?

I quite like the Kate Spade designs but it's quite a bit more than I want to pay for a bag. Does it really hold up that much better?

What about Cole Haan? Lodis? These other brands I'm seeing on Nordstrom Rack? What about Aldo and Nine West?

Last edited:
I'm in the market for a new tote bag. I need a big one, one that will fit a heavy Bible that is about 13" long by maybe 8" and 2" thick. And a bunch of other things. I just want to make sure whatever I get will survive with that kind of weight and won't fall apart quickly. I'm not too familiar with brands and I just want a simple design. Any suggestions for brands I should check out?

I quite like the Kate Spade designs but it's quite a bit more than I want to pay for a bag. Does it really hold up that much better?

What about Cole Haan? Lodis? These other brands I'm seeing on Nordstrom Rack? What about Aldo and Nine West?
Have you thought about trying Etsy? Many of the artists will allow you to customize the design and you can get a wonderfully made bag for not a lot of money. I've seen some beautiful ones for between $100-$200, and the quality will be much better than most of what you find at discount stores. Just a thought!

My suggestion is Fossil for affordable, well-made leather or coated canvas bags. I think the Kate Spade bags are well made too. I have also heard good things about Madewell but don't own one.

I find Aldo to be well made for non-leather bags, I have several beater bags from them that I carry heavy loads in. I have issues with the quality of Nine West and Guess so avoid those if you can.

Reactions: lavendertealatt
Dooney or Brahmin. Wear like iron. Do you have Dillards in your city? Look for sales, can get a great deal.
Cole Haan was a very good brand, can not comment on current bags( do not like the new design at all) also take a look at Ralph Lauren on sale.
What budget are we talking about?

If you are open to canvas, LL Bean boat totes are really durable and you can customize the colors, add a pocket, and choose the strap length. They can also be monogrammed.

If you are interested in nylon-type fabric, Le Sportsac is also very durable, one of my travel bags is decades old. Macy's has good sales on Le Sportsac, and they have outlets too.

For your budget, I'd opt for nylon or coated canvas. They tend to be cheaper and hold up better than leather bags in that price range, IMO. I have a couple LeSportsac bags that I really love and have been with me for several years. They're perfect for travel and school and none of them ever developed holes despite the amount of weight I put them through.

Fossil also makes great coated canvas. I have some makeup pouches from them that I like using over the expensive, premier brands.

Dooney makes great leather products, but they are more along the lines for $150-200 for a decent sized, leather bag. Also, at that price, you will need to look at TJ Maxx or their outlets.

Less than $150, ideally no more than $100 though.
Leather does seem durable but I'm also concerned about the weight.
I'd be honest with you your ideal budget is on the edge of impossible for the full size all leather bag msrp. Although sales are absolutely an option, it just takes time and luck. Have you looked at coach outlet stores or their online sales?
I have never paid more then 200$ for a bag. I have Tumi, Coach( full price and outlet), and Cole Haan(more then three years old ) I always look for sales and average price of my bags is about 130$. And they are all good quality, no issues.

There is ebags website online with free shipping over 49$ and free returns in case you don't like the bag. I got my nylon Tumi there , it was a great deal. Tumi has sales on its website too, just check . Its a sturdy very lightweight nylon tote with leather handles, I like it a lot.

Last edited: