Reissue Resale Value

jchen815

O.G.
Nov 30, 2012
Hello TPFers! =)

I'm having a major first world dilemma. I have the opportunity to get a so black 226 chevron reissue at retail price. I don't have any reissues in my collection and I fell in love with the look when I saw photos.

I did some browsing on the resale market and I noticed that reissues sell much lower than classic flaps. My question is should I still purchase the reissue knowing that I may not get the same value in the future? I try not to ever pay retail for my bags. I pride myself in being able to be a good resale buyer and I refuse to buy anything over retail.

I love the bag but not the price. What would you guys do? Any words of advice? Thank you =)

Last edited:
Are you someone who sells your bags often? If so, resale value might not even be a factor. I will buy a bag if I love it, even if the resale value might not be optimal. That said, reissues do have a lower resale value than classic flaps/boys, but having the black hardware will increase the resale value, even for reissues. That particular bag is already listed on a few sites for significantly above retail. From what I have seen, so black reissues tend to hold their value, with the exception of perhaps a few models (ex. the glazed leather versions). Probably the biggest influencer of resale value, is how you plan to sell it. If you sell it yourself, you would most likely break even or make a profit. If you consign, you will take a loss, although probably not majorly so- how big of loss just depends on where you sell it, with certain sites you may be able to break close to even.

If you love it, I would get it. I have that bag in the 225 and love it. Also, you mentioned having the opportunity to buy at retail price- are you getting it from a store? If not, you might still be able to find this in a boutique/retail store.

I love Chanel bags but I certainly don't like any of their prices. Therefore I gave up comparing which one of the chanels I love is cheap compared to another... I figure the deal is, they are all overpriced, it's not about worth/resale value, but rather that if I know that there're the ones I feel I "need" to have, then they're all overpriced anyway, just get what I love and will use. Comparing which one is less overpriced or expensive seemed not productive so I gave up.

since you know the value of money and don't generally pay retail, then just don't do it. you know better.... and you've done the homework and know the end result. the reissue does lose value. why not wait until you see them start to come up on resale and get it for yourself at a lower price? it might mean waiting a bit but you'd save all-around and feel better about the purchase. imho.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Are you someone who sells your bags often? If so, resale value might not even be a factor. I will buy a bag if I love it, even if the resale value might not be optimal. That said, reissues do have a lower resale value than classic flaps/boys, but having the black hardware will increase the resale value, even for reissues. That particular bag is already listed on a few sites for significantly above retail. From what I have seen, so black reissues tend to hold their value, with the exception of perhaps a few models (ex. the glazed leather versions). Probably the biggest influencer of resale value, is how you plan to sell it. If you sell it yourself, you would most likely break even or make a profit. If you consign, you will take a loss, although probably not majorly so- how big of loss just depends on where you sell it, with certain sites you may be able to break close to even.

If you love it, I would get it. I have that bag in the 225 and love it. Also, you mentioned having the opportunity to buy at retail price- are you getting it from a store? If not, you might still be able to find this in a boutique/retail store.

Thanks for your advice. The only reason i even considered this reissue was the chevron + bhw combo. I usually do not prefer the reissue because of the distressed look (Not my style). I don't usually sell my bags, but I want to know that if I did fall out of love that I wouldn't loose too much $$

I love Chanel bags but I certainly don't like any of their prices. Therefore I gave up comparing which one of the chanels I love is cheap compared to another... I figure the deal is, they are all overpriced, it's not about worth/resale value, but rather that if I know that there're the ones I feel I "need" to have, then they're all overpriced anyway, just get what I love and will use. Comparing which one is less overpriced or expensive seemed not productive so I gave up.

Good way to look at things! :smile:

since you know the value of money and don't generally pay retail, then just don't do it. you know better.... and you've done the homework and know the end result. the reissue does lose value. why not wait until you see them start to come up on resale and get it for yourself at a lower price? it might mean waiting a bit but you'd save all-around and feel better about the purchase. imho.

If it was any other reissue I would 110% just waited and looked. But since its a chevron so black I know how rare it is to find one for under retail. Thats the only reason why i would even consider purchasing at retail. haha :smile: Thanks for your advice!

I think the only one who can judge the value of a particular bag is YOU. If you want it for the retail price, get it. If you are willing to take the chance that you may not get it in hopes that you can find it for resale later (and almost everything pops up for resale if you stalk enough) then wait. I realized that luxury goods are just not a good investment in general, not even Chanel or H. Trends come and go, and more importantly, your tastes, needs, body shape, etc may change, and yes, you may want to sell later. But realistically, if you buy with the intention of keeping and using it well, say 5 years of 1x a week use would be worth it imho even if you don't sell for as much in the end. If you are more looking for an insurance policy in case you change your mind I guess I'd wait or try to buy from a department store with a lenient return period so you can think it over more in person. I also have this in 225 and it is really versatile.

If you are a person who has had a history of not paying retail, you are also a person who is patient enough to wait a little while for your bags. So, you may get really frustrated 3-4 years from now when you see these bags bring offered at under retail prices knowing you could have waited and "scored" the bag for less.

If you will wear this bag enough to justify the "extra" money you'll spend and want it now, buy it. If it is just a good addition to your collection that will get a bit of wear, I vote that you wait.

Also, make sure you really want lthis bag. There is a lot of energy around "so black" bags. Is it worth it to you to pay retail? I'm battling with this question on 2 other Chanels that are out right now. I'm not sure how I feel yet. I'm a person who never pays retail on much of anything. LOL! I l live for the deal and find almost as much joy on getting something for a steal as I do in the item. :lol: But, if I do decide I have to have one of these bags, I'll leap.

Hello TPFers! =)

I'm having a major first world dilemma. I have the opportunity to get a so black 226 chevron reissue at retail price. I don't have any reissues in my collection and I fell in love with the look when I saw photos.

I did some browsing on the resale market and I noticed that reissues sell much lower than classic flaps. My question is should I still purchase the reissue knowing that I may not get the same value in the future? I try not to ever pay retail for my bags. I pride myself in being able to be a good resale buyer and I refuse to buy anything over retail.

I love the bag but not the price. What would you guys do? Any words of advice? Thank you =)
I think 226's are one of the most loved sizes.
I also think the so black chevron go for a higher price than regular reissues, so it's not a fair comparison.
Thirdly, is it the more rare aged calf 226 so black chevron from 2016, or the one from 2017 with sheepskin? Do you know which one you want?
Personally I had to search long and hard for my HG 226 so black reissue from 2016 because I missed her when she first came out and then had to pay a premium for it. I think the 2017 ones you might be able to find still in the retail world if you look hard enough...
Ultimately, you have to get what you like like many other ladies say here. In terms of value, I do think it will hold.

Thanks for your advice. The only reason i even considered this reissue was the chevron + bhw combo. I usually do not prefer the reissue because of the distressed look (Not my style). I don't usually sell my bags, but I want to know that if I did fall out of love that I wouldn't loose too much $$

Resale value reflects on the demand vs supply of the bags. Reissue has a lower resale value than the classic cc flap due to less demand for it. As for so blacks, based on previous seasons, the price is definately higher in resale market after some time.

Seasonal bags like this is hard to predict on its resale value. In rare cases, some rises (like the 16C mermaid boys), while most did not retain its value. However do consider this; The asking price is determined by market & consignors, but your cut might not get as near as the asking price.

Only buy bags if you trully love it & regret not getting it. Its ok to buy at retail, if you know you will enjoy it for a long time. Might as well enjoy it. If you cant hold on the thought the bag will not retain its value, looks like you will be troubled by it more than enjoying the bag at its fullest.

Ask yourself this, will you be sad if you didnt buy & it has a higher retail price afterwards, or you'll be sadder if you did buy, but the secondhand value drops? Then decide from there. Good luck.

I think you have answered your own question as "I try not to ever pay retail for my bags" - so you should NOT buy it at retail. You are also looking into the resale market which tells me that you are considering the resale market on Reissues. You know that the resale market is lower for most reissues but it depends on the demand for a particular reissue.

When it doubt, don't- It seems that you will regret paying retail for the bag and will be unhappy if it loses its value in the resale market.

Thank you all for your point of view. I love being able to share my "problem" and see how others look at it. I think I am leaning towards keeping the bag though. So far, my pros outweigh my cons :P

Pros:
- sheepskin is amazing! It feels luxurious like lambskin, but I can tell its "tough" like caviar
- so black and chevron are a very rare combo to have
- I wanted a reissue, but I dislike the distressed look. This is the first reissue I've LOVED since the leather was more my style
- I have a daily habit of scouring resale websites (ebay, fashionphile, yoogi's, aff). Some people check FB everyday, I check resale websites lol!! I have not seen a so black for under retail unless its a vintage/older. Even the vintages go for higher.

Cons:
- its EXPENSIVE. This 226 is $5500.
- its EXPENSIVE x 2. I am usually frugal by nature and I try to save/coupon/look for deals all the time. My only expensive vice is Chanel. I try to justify the outrageous prices of Chanel items by looking for pre-loved bags or finding deals like opening a department store CC to get cash back
- I don't feel like I "deserve" the bag. I love Chanel and I would make my previous purchases only as a reward for things (ie getting a promotion, getting my doctorate, etc). This bag was just because it was pretty

Reactions: missie1
Thank you all for your point of view. I love being able to share my "problem" and see how others look at it. I think I am leaning towards keeping the bag though. So far, my pros outweigh my cons :P

Pros:
- sheepskin is amazing! It feels luxurious like lambskin, but I can tell its "tough" like caviar
- so black and chevron are a very rare combo to have
- I wanted a reissue, but I dislike the distressed look. This is the first reissue I've LOVED since the leather was more my style
- I have a daily habit of scouring resale websites (ebay, fashionphile, yoogi's, aff). Some people check FB everyday, I check resale websites lol!! I have not seen a so black for under retail unless its a vintage/older. Even the vintages go for higher.

Cons:
- its EXPENSIVE. This 226 is $5500.
- its EXPENSIVE x 2. I am usually frugal by nature and I try to save/coupon/look for deals all the time. My only expensive vice is Chanel. I try to justify the outrageous prices of Chanel items by looking for pre-loved bags or finding deals like opening a department store CC to get cash back
- I don't feel like I "deserve" the bag. I love Chanel and I would make my previous purchases only as a reward for things (ie getting a promotion, getting my doctorate, etc). This bag was just because it was pretty

Isn't the bag you posted from liz still currently in the store? It is sheepskin correct? I'd get it direct from the store if I was paying full price.