Reissue Resale Value

Thank you all for your point of view. I love being able to share my "problem" and see how others look at it. I think I am leaning towards keeping the bag though. So far, my pros outweigh my cons :P

Pros:
- sheepskin is amazing! It feels luxurious like lambskin, but I can tell its "tough" like caviar
- so black and chevron are a very rare combo to have
- I wanted a reissue, but I dislike the distressed look. This is the first reissue I've LOVED since the leather was more my style
- I have a daily habit of scouring resale websites (ebay, fashionphile, yoogi's, aff). Some people check FB everyday, I check resale websites lol!! I have not seen a so black for under retail unless its a vintage/older. Even the vintages go for higher.

Cons:
- its EXPENSIVE. This 226 is $5500.
- its EXPENSIVE x 2. I am usually frugal by nature and I try to save/coupon/look for deals all the time. My only expensive vice is Chanel. I try to justify the outrageous prices of Chanel items by looking for pre-loved bags or finding deals like opening a department store CC to get cash back
- I don't feel like I "deserve" the bag. I love Chanel and I would make my previous purchases only as a reward for things (ie getting a promotion, getting my doctorate, etc). This bag was just because it was pretty

Yes, keep it.
There's no way you're going to find this bag for under retail any time soon (unless very very maybe you get lucky on Ebay). It's not comparable to the "regular" Reissues.
And of course you deserve this bag, silly!

Last edited:
Hello TPFers! =)

I'm having a major first world dilemma. I have the opportunity to get a so black 226 chevron reissue at retail price. I don't have any reissues in my collection and I fell in love with the look when I saw photos.

I did some browsing on the resale market and I noticed that reissues sell much lower than classic flaps. My question is should I still purchase the reissue knowing that I may not get the same value in the future? I try not to ever pay retail for my bags. I pride myself in being able to be a good resale buyer and I refuse to buy anything over retail.

I love the bag but not the price. What would you guys do? Any words of advice? Thank you =)

If you really love the bag you wouldn't be concerned about the resale value because you're not going to sell it ever!

Reactions: jchen815
If you're going to love the bag for a long time don't worry about resell value. Get it and enjoy it [emoji6] I think it's gorgeous and unique and I can't imagine if you had to sell it you would lose a lot because it's not a common bag combination that comes up often and I find those bags tend to hold value more.

Yes, keep it.
There's no way you're going to find this bag for under retail any time soon (unless very very maybe you get lucky on Ebay). It's not comparable to the "regular" Reissues.
And of course you deserve this bag, silly!

Thank you @ironic568 for your response! I know you're a Chanel authenticator so it's comforting to hear your opinion about resale value [emoji4]

If you really love the bag you wouldn't be concerned about the resale value because you're not going to sell it ever!

If you're going to love the bag for a long time don't worry about resell value. Get it and enjoy it [emoji6] I think it's gorgeous and unique and I can't imagine if you had to sell it you would lose a lot because it's not a common bag combination that comes up often and I find those bags tend to hold value more.

It sounds like you love it! I'd say get it don't worry about resale. You may never even get around to that [emoji4].

I'm not planning on selling this beauty but just in case :P

Thank you all for your point of view. I love being able to share my "problem" and see how others look at it. I think I am leaning towards keeping the bag though. So far, my pros outweigh my cons :P

Pros:
- sheepskin is amazing! It feels luxurious like lambskin, but I can tell its "tough" like caviar
- so black and chevron are a very rare combo to have
- I wanted a reissue, but I dislike the distressed look. This is the first reissue I've LOVED since the leather was more my style
- I have a daily habit of scouring resale websites (ebay, fashionphile, yoogi's, aff). Some people check FB everyday, I check resale websites lol!! I have not seen a so black for under retail unless its a vintage/older. Even the vintages go for higher.

Cons:
- its EXPENSIVE. This 226 is $5500.
- its EXPENSIVE x 2. I am usually frugal by nature and I try to save/coupon/look for deals all the time. My only expensive vice is Chanel. I try to justify the outrageous prices of Chanel items by looking for pre-loved bags or finding deals like opening a department store CC to get cash back
- I don't feel like I "deserve" the bag. I love Chanel and I would make my previous purchases only as a reward for things (ie getting a promotion, getting my doctorate, etc). This bag was just because it was pretty

I'm reading this thread with great interest, as the Reissue flap is my favorite Chanel bag (I have two, a black 226 and a dark blue 227, both with ruthenium HW). Both came from the boutique, the black one way back in 2009 when a 226 retailed for about $2800, the 227 just one price increase ago. I'm so happy I wasn't as aware of the resale market then, because it may well have deterred me from buying two of my favorite bags! They don't get a ton of use right now, but they are there when I need them and I'm always happy to have them.

I usually buy new, but have a couple of vintage Hermes Kelly bags, so I have gone the pre-loved route on occasion. I find I'm a lot happier with my bag decisions when I base them on how much I love the bag and how much use it will get rather than on what the resale may be someday. Unless you are planning to sell a bag in the next few months, it's really impossible to tell what the resale will be. Back when I joined TPF, the resale market was crazy -- it was common for someone to buy a bag, use it daily for several months, and then resell it for more than they paid or at least break even. It's not like that anymore. I always assume I will lose money when reselling, simply because I have used the bag and figure I'm going to pay for that privilege, like renting in a way.

I've seen and held both the 225 and 226 versions of the So Black reissue in question, and I was really, really tempted. I just couldn't justify two black reissues and was saving up for another Kelly, so I walked away, but man, if I walked into the boutique next week and they still had it, I would have a hard time saying no! It's a really gorgeous bag, both classic and different enough to be special.

Not sure if that's any help, but please, take the word "deserve" out of the equation! Honey, we all deserve beautiful bags, just because they're pretty and we like them! Some of us are just fortunate enough to be able to afford them. :smile:

Thank you for the advice @catsinthebag! :smile:

I've been saving for a birkin actually...then I saw the so black reissue and forgot all about the birkin. haha

How do you compare the 225 versus 226? Do you feel like the 226 is too big or just right for your needs? What about the 225? I have not owned a reissue yet so I'm trying to imagine. I know the 226 is slightly smaller than a jumbo but bigger than a m/l.

Thank you :smile:

Thank you for the advice @catsinthebag! :smile:

I've been saving for a birkin actually...then I saw the so black reissue and forgot all about the birkin. haha

How do you compare the 225 versus 226? Do you feel like the 226 is too big or just right for your needs? What about the 225? I have not owned a reissue yet so I'm trying to imagine. I know the 226 is slightly smaller than a jumbo but bigger than a m/l.

Thank you :smile:

So funny the So Black made you forget about the Birkin! They are such different bags, in both look and function -- do you think you'll still want the B after you get the Reissue?

You're right, the 226 is the size that's between the m/l and the jumbo. I think of it as the Goldilocks size, not too big and not too small. This is all very individual and a matter of personal taste, but I prefer the 226 over the 225. The difference, to me, is sunglasses. They fit in my 226 but not in the 225. I'm 5'6, so I don't feel the 226 is too big -- actually, I also have a 227 which is pretty much the same size as the Jumbo (but lighter and sleeker in that it is less deep and lies flatter against the body). The 225 is the size closest to the m/l. For me, it's too small to really be more than a cocktail party bag. The 226 doesn't look that much bigger, but holds enough more to be a difference maker for me. I can use the 226 for a whole day out if I don't carry a ton. I couldnt do that with the 225, but that's just me. Hope this helps.