Reinventing yourself....

lara0112

O.G.
Dec 11, 2006
I am an academic, which means summer is typically slow. Every summer, without fail, for the past 15 years I have had the desire to do something different (yes, very precise, I know...I am not unhappy or anything, probs just jealous of the students who still have all ahead of them...).Well, it never happens, come September the craziness happens which lasts until May. Has anyone used these last few months to really engage with something that could take or has taken their life in a different direction?

Have you tried taking courses online? There are various options on edX and Coursera (you can audit or pay for a certificate).

This site lists free classes (with a certificate) that Coursera is offering till the end of July: https://www.classcentral.com/report/coursera-free-certificate-covid-19/amp/

If you do sign up for a free course, please be sure that you see this banner pop up at the top: “Coursera Together: enroll today and get this course for free” until the 31st. If that banner doesn’t show up, the free deal won’t work.

These online course sites also offer specializations if there’s a particular area of study that you’d like to explore more deeply. Please note that any written assignments are peer-graded only.

All that said, this is an ideal time to channel your inner Madonna (LOL) and reinvent yourself!

good points - yes, I have taken several.. I am probably only dreaming or letting my creative self free :smile:, but it is indeed a good time to try and pivot

Ohhh...in that case, have you considered looking to YouTube for inspiration? They have lots of creative videos there.

You could consider painting, calligraphy/penmanship, beadwork, knitting...the sky’s the limit. Plus I’m sure Amazon has lots of supplies you can order. What do you enjoy?

Reactions: 880