Rehab success! Pics of my new (old) Court bag!

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
Last week I picked up a Court bag 9870 at the Salvation Army Thrift Store for $18. DemRam kindly authenticated it and told me that the color was "British Tan" and it was made in 1996. I was surprised to discover that Coach is still making this same bag and selling it for $258 on the "Coach Originals" page of their website! You can see the "before" pics in the authentication thread at the link below:

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-shopping/authenticate-this-coach-577470-211.html#post15777508

The purse was very worn and badly scuffed but intact and not abused, so with the advice and encouragement of i:heart:handbags, dstalksalot, zippy14u and other kind tPFers I set about rehabing this sweet, little bag.

I polished up the hardware and gave it a good, long bath in dye free, perfume free soap and water. Then I let it dry completely over several days. (I am so glad that I dunked it because I didn't realize how dirty it actually was until after I gave it a bath!) Next I put on several applications of Apple Leather Conditioner and buffed it with a soft cloth. Then I added a brass Coach medallion hang tag to decorate her. That's all it took and I think that she looks gorgeous now!

I have been using her all weekend and I really enjoy carrying her. She is small, but not tiny, and makes a great hands-free "running around" bag that is much roomier than the average swingpack. So for an investment of just $18 plus tax and some elbow-grease (and not a lot of elbow-grease, either!) I now have a beautiful, useful (clean!) classic bag. Also, my purchase benefited a charitable organization and I "scratched the itch" for a new bag without putting a big hole in my wallet! Best of all I've rescued a lovely purse from oblivion! She has many more years of useful service in her and I will treat her well and enjoy carrying her! :yahoo:

I have attached some "after pics" to this message and will add a few more to the next message.

So what do you all think of my first successful rehab? It sure helps when you start with good raw materials and can draw on the sound advice of experts! Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• court rehab2.JPG
    court rehab2.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,870
  • court rehab4.JPG
    court rehab4.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,385
  • court rehab6.jpg
    court rehab6.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,385
  • court rehab8.jpg
    court rehab8.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,407
  • court rehab11.jpg
    court rehab11.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,385
Last edited:
Here's some more pics, she's a little beauty!

Attachments

• court rehab17.jpg
    court rehab17.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,307
  • court rehab19.jpg
    court rehab19.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,315
  • court rehab13.jpg
    court rehab13.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,307
  • court rehab12.jpg
    court rehab12.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,358
She looks FANTASTIC! I'm amazed at how much better she looks, especially beneath the front flap! Congratulations, and great job on the rehab!

Thanks! Yes, the "before" picture under the front flap really shows had badly worn she was. I'll bet the original owner would be amazed to see her now - but she can't have her back, she's mine!

Attachments

• court8.jpg
    court8.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,414
I'm still totally afraid to touch my vintage bag...but mine isn't as worn as that it has a few scuffs here and there but nothing too major and it has a few ink marks under the flap...maybe some day I will get up the courage to do something with it but right now I love it as is.

It does have a dirty strap though...If I just used a gentle cloth and some soap and water would I be able to get the dirt and grim off without ruining the dye?

WOW! You did a great job! It really looks wonderful.:biggrin:

That's what I love about the older all leather bags...you just can't "kill" them. Just give them a bath and a little conditioner and they will go on for another generation.

When the newer bags are long gone...that bag will still be going strong.

Love it!

;)

Last edited:
Well done! :smile:

(My "Spectator" Court bag came back to life remarkably well too, even the parchment trim. It's impressive how the older leather hangs in there.)

I'm still totally afraid to touch my vintage bag...but mine isn't as worn as that it has a few scuffs here and there but nothing too major and it has a few ink marks under the flap...maybe some day I will get up the courage to do something with it but right now I love it as is.

It does have a dirty strap though...If I just used a gentle cloth and some soap and water would I be able to get the dirt and grim off without ruining the dye?

Honestly, I was afraid to dunk mine but it didn't hurt it at all! Just use a mild dye free and fragrance free soap and water and give it a good bath! You will be surprised how dirty it actually is! (But my bag is 14 years old and used so I shouldn't have been surprised that she was dirty!)

Mine looked better as soon as it came out of the bath and got better looking during the drying process. But be sure you have Apple leather conditioner and use lots of it - that stuff is great!

Last edited: