Registration number beginning with 176 or 177

kswex

Jun 10, 2020
I have a black caviar jumbo with gold hardware and wanted to sell since I do not use anymore and thought I would buy new Chanel. Preowned designer seller told me that they could not accept any registration number beginning with 176 or 177. They said they had some agreement with Chanel. Somehow I got the impression they were not sure it was authentic. Anyway, I bought this bag from Saks and I know it is authentic. Does anyone know anything about this or have had a similar experience? Would love to hear from you.. Thank you.

First of no "preowned designer seller" has any kind of "agreement" with Chanel not to resell a certain series. Chanel hates the resale market so something like this would simply not exist. Anyway, I suspect that you are correct that they were unsure of authenticity or at least wary of being able to confirm it. Since you know it's authentic, I would submit it to another seller/site.

Reactions: ncabahug
First of no "preowned designer seller" has any kind of "agreement" with Chanel not to resell a certain series. Chanel hates the resale market so something like this would simply not exist. Anyway, I suspect that you are correct that they were unsure of authenticity or at least wary of being able to confirm it. Since you know it's authentic, I would submit it to another seller/site.
lallybelle,
Thank you for your input. Makes perfect sense! Good advice.

lallybelle,
Thank you for your input. Makes perfect sense! Good advice.

I actually submitted to fashionphile and upon receipt of the bag with serial 177, they sent me this message. They do make it seem like they are working with Chanel, though the language is a bit strange. I’m annoyed because I showed the serial # in the photos I sent in and they gave me a quote, but rejected it when it got there.

41E65DE6-6A1D-438D-8580-01F0D4278D10.png

Wow. That is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. I understand if they have problems 100% authenticating that series for some reason, but saying they are cooperating with Chanel? And why that specific series? Also, Chanel hates sites like Fashionphile,and has actually trolled it looking for resellers and banned purchases from people who sold to them who they suspected were resellers. That's why they(Fashionphile) started only showing part of the serial in pictures.

Maybe something changed with FP's partnership with NM?

Strange, but very interesting. Thanks for posting that.

Last edited:
Wow. That is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. I understand if they have problems 100% authenticating that series for some reason, but saying they are cooperating with Chanel? And why that specific series? Also, Chanel hates sites like Fashionphile,and has actually trolled it looking for resellers and banned purchases from people who sold to them who they suspected were resellers. That's why they(Fashionphile) started only showing part of the serial in pictures.

Maybe something changed with FP's partnership with NM?

Strange, but very interesting. Thanks for posting that.

good point about the partnership with NM. I agree though, very weird!

I would hate to spread misinformation, so my limited understanding is that there may be an issue with the provenance of some bags beginning with these numbers, and therefore Fashionphile (and perhaps some other resellers) will not accept any bag beginning with this number. It is not a concern of authenticity. If you are skilled at searching, I’m sure you can find the details on this forum. I don’t remember which thread it was in and I don’t want to give more details than I can personally be certain of.