Regarding Teenagers....Safe Sex or Abstinence??

Traci

Crazy for LV
Apr 18, 2006
Keeping religious beliefs out of it, on a practical level....Do you think parents should teach safe sex, or abstinence to their children, and why?

My parents didn't really teach either. They pretty much said wait until you're ready and when you are, be safe about it.

It really depends on the parents and their own upbringings. My parents raised me one way... and my best friend was raised a COMPLETELY different way so I don't think there really is a "right" or "wrong" answer to this. Like most things, it's personal preference.

Hmmm, I'll have to say both.
My Dad rasied me and my sister and he actually educated us on safe sex, but STRONGLY recommended abstinence.
He was an amazing Dad and did an excellent job. . . I'd totally follow his footsteps on that one.

I was raised with the idea that abstinence is the BEST choice, however.... if I decided I wanted to have sex anyway-- I had to be safe about it! My mom and I have a VERY open relationship, and she has always been truthful about things to me.

abstinence. i'm a teenager (16) and i'm firm in my beliefs of abstinence. there have been SO many times where i think "why bother waiting??" but as a christian, i know that waiting is the best decision.

but putting aside religion, i still think parents should teach abstinence. Sex is something that is sacred and should be shared when you are in a commited relationship (as in marriage). and honestly, i think it's much more romantic to wait for "the one" :heart:

jinhee said:
abstinence. i'm a teenager (16) and i'm firm in my beliefs of abstinence. there have been SO many times where i think "why bother waiting??" but as a christian, i know that waiting is the best decision.

but putting aside religion, i still think parents should teach abstinence. Sex is something that is sacred and should be shared when you are in a commited relationship (as in marriage). and honestly, i think it's much more romantic to wait for "the one" :heart:

^^^ I am 16,and I have the same opinion as you about abstinance!. My parents have taught me that abstinence is the way to go. I agree with them completley,I want to save myself until im married. I dont want to be one of those girls that do every guy in their high school year,and get herpes or get knocked up. I am worth more than that. That is why I also belive to begin dating when I am at age to begin my adult life ( I will begin dating probaly in 2 years).

That's a tough one. I have a 12-year-old and a 16-year-old. It's not an issue for the 12-year-old, and my 16-year-old is straight edge, so he doesn't believe in premarital sex, drugs or drinking. I guess the smartest thing to do is try to teach abstinence, but that if they're going to do something anyway, to at least be safe. With AIDS now, it goes way beyond getting pregnant.

I grew up in a Christian home so of course I was tought abstinence. I also went to a Christian school and I truly believe that if you only teach abstinence it just makes teenagers more curious about all the things they don't know about. There were a lot of kids that messed around when I was in junior high let alone high school. I really think it is best to teach both. I know most parents would prefer their children to abstain, but if they don't I really think it's better that they know how to be safe about it.

jinhee said:

I completely agree. I think it would be wise of the parents to teach about safe sex just in case.

kathyrose said:
Mine never talked to me about it but we don't really talk about it in my culture. Taboo. So it depends I think.

yeah, my parents NEVER ever mention sex. EVER. i think our household would break down if they did. i think it's just part of asian culture. but the fact that they raised me right and give me so much love really helped in making my decision to wait until marriage. and also, it's REALLY important for teens my age to have friends who believe in the same things. i know that things would be different if my friends were sleeping around, but my friends that i keep close to me have values that are similar to mine.

and i think teens (esp. girls) my age should know that just because you decide to wait doesn't mean you sit at home and read the bible, you can still have fun and hang out with your friends. i'm not having sex, but i'm having a great time being a teen :supacool: