Refurbished vs Polished - What is the difference?

uhpharm01

O.G.
Nov 11, 2012
Hi Everyone,
The clap on my RTF heart charm bracelet broke so I had to sent it back to NYC for repairs. But while dropping it off at Tiffany's the Customer Rep asked if I would like to have it refurbished and I've never heard of that. So, how is refurbishing a silver item different from having it polished?

Thank you

Refurbish means to restore any defective parts to its original condition. As your clasp broke, they are going to fix or replace that clasp for you. It is a refurbish. Polish means just that - they are polishing the metal and/or leather to take away dullness and scratches or to bring a shine back. Polish does not include fixing or replacing hardware, trim, leather, etc. So it's assumed Tiffany's is going to do both a refurbish, then polish the item for you.

Refurbish means to restore any defective parts to its original condition. As your clasp broke, they are going to fix or replace that clasp for you. It is a refurbish. Polish means just that - they are polishing the metal and/or leather to take away dullness and scratches or to bring a shine back. Polish does not include fixing or replacing hardware, trim, leather, etc. So it's assumed Tiffany's is going to do both a refurbish, then polish the item for you.
They are going to replace the clasp. But they asked if I also wanted to have the bracelet refurbish too. And I said no.its $60 to replace the clasp and $50 to refurbish the item.

Oh okay thanks. I didn't understand what that lady was talking about

Oh okay thanks. I didn't understand what that lady was talking about

Perhaps you can ask them to explain what refurbishing the bracelet means when you pick up your item. I know of replating silverplate, but I don't know what is done for sterling silver. I didn't think Tiffany did any rhodium plating, maybe chrome plating? But I really do not know.

Reactions: uhpharm01
Perhaps you can ask them to explain what refurbishing the bracelet means when you pick up your item. I know of replating silverplate, but I don't know what is done for sterling silver. I didn't think Tiffany did any rhodium plating, maybe chrome plating? But I really do not know.

I asked her but I decided not to have this item refurbished. I picked it up yesterday and I'll take it back to them tomorrow because The clasp doesn't lineup properly with the other part of the clasp. Plus I'm that it will pull on my clothes and they didn't polish the clasp Either just the bracelet, it looks really dull. The part where the clasp attaches to the bracelet looks thinner/smaller then the one that broke. :hrmm:

Last edited:
Okay the customer service rep straighten out the clasp on my bracelet and she said that the largest size of the clasp that are available to my RTF bracelet. So, I'm going to try it out this week and see how things go.

Reactions: rainrowan