Refund of return shipping fee when item misrepresented

blinchik

Oct 13, 2007
I purchased two items recently that were heavily misrepresented: completely unwearable shoes with no insoles and the shrunk used sweater which was listed as 'new'. I returned both items and received a refund, but return shipping fees for both items were close to $20. Both sellers were frustrated and mad when I asked to return the shipping fee - they keep pointing out they've already lost money on this transaction. One left me negative feedback pointing out that I've already received a refund and ask for more money. I know Paypal makes buyer responsible for return shipping, but I feel that it shouldn't be buyer's responsibility when the item was misrepresented.

I recently bought 2 fake Coach keychains, unbeknownst to me, by 2 different sellers. The first guy immediately offered a refund and I demanded for him to pay shipping back , he evntually agreed. The second person did not repond to the paypal claim so I won. The day I won I got an email from her saying,"You got your money back now I want my keychain." I told her she could have her fake keychain back when she gave me the money to ship it back. She then went on a tirade about how the keychain wasn't fake but she refused to pay for shipping so I did not ship it back.

Strictly speaking, and its not fair, you are responsible for return shipping. If paypal ask you to send an item back they ask you to do it at your expense. The only chance of the seller paying it is if you appeal to their better nature...( if they still have one )

Yup, Paypal will refund you the original shipping (in addition to the cost of the item) but it is your responsibility to ship it back to them. Seems unfair, but that is the way it is and PP will not side with you to try and get you reimbursed for return shipping.

Yes, it's unfair but that's how it is. I do ask the seller to cover return shipping when it's grossly misrepresented, some have agreed and some don't. For those that don't, I'll just have to take the loss since that's Paypal policy