Reducing sales in order to get partial ebay fee refund???

Cat-lover

May 2, 2010
I've brought an item with free shipping from a seller and everything went smooth - I'm happy and she's happy. But the seller asked me if she could drop sales on paper so that her ebay fee would be partial refunded to her. Because she said that her ebay/paypal fees cost her over $20 and that leave her few bucks in profit.

I never heard of that way before with my several years' experience on ebay. Should I say no? Because it's her loss for making her auction listing that way in first place. She said that it won't affect my ebay standing and it won't be incurred any cost from me. I mean I was thinking, if she lowers the price, I should get partial refund as well, right?

Although you won't get any money back, I think you're saying that the seller wants you to agree to a mutual or partial refund so she can pay less in fees.

If that's what you're saying, do NOT agree to it. It's cheating ebay and cheating other sellers who properly calculate their fees and run their auctions appropriately.

If your seller underestimated her fees and didn't make as much money as she expected, that's not your problem. Next time, she'll adjust her starting price or BIN price accordingly in order to cover the fees.

I don't think she's offering you a refund. She just wants ebay to think she refunded so she'll pay them less.

Again, don't do it. And if she's persistent, you can report her for circumvention of fees.

That sounds fishy. I agree with BeenBurned, don't do it. If she didn't correctly price her item to make a profit after fees then that is her fault, not yours. Also, I hope she is sending you these messages through eBay messages, just in case anything happens you have proof she is trying to get out of fees.

I've brought an item with free shipping from a seller and everything went smooth - I'm happy and she's happy. But the seller asked me if she could drop sales on paper so that her ebay fee would be partial refunded to her. Because she said that her ebay/paypal fees cost her over $20 and that leave her few bucks in profit.

I never heard of that way before with my several years' experience on ebay. Should I say no? Because it's her loss for making her auction listing that way in first place. She said that it won't affect my ebay standing and it won't be incurred any cost from me. I mean I was thinking, if she lowers the price, I should get partial refund as well, right?

It doesn't sound like she planned to give you a partial refund, she just wants to reduce the sale price 'on paper' so that she can pay less of a fee. That's a new one on me, gosh the thing people come up with! I would definitely not agree.

Linda