Rediscovering a Beloved Bag

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. 40% off dresses, jumpsuits and sandals at Nordstrom. Sale ends Thursday at 9am EST. Click or tap to shop the sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    More than 5 years ago my employment company moved from the suburbs into the inner city and my life changed a lot. I had to take long walks in all kinds of weather to/from the train stations and take a railroad ride in/out of town. I quickly learned how to adapt but it was necessary to change a lot of my habits. I found it necessary to juggle carrying a purse, lunch, computer, and files into work and that made it difficult to wear/bring any stylish items.

So I mostly wore slacks, blouse, and a blazer and I kept a few pairs of "suitable flats" at the office so that I could wear athletic shoes during my outdoor commute. I also learned to pay close attention to the weather. Previously I had not owned any patent leather bags but I now have at least 5 of them because you don’t have to worry about rain or snow when carrying patent leather.

I recently made a big decision - not because of fashion but for other reasons - and I've changed jobs. I now drive to work and the weather and the rigors of the commute are not such a big deal anymore. The new job has been a big adjustment but at least I don’t have to worry so much about my shoes, clothes, and bags. So I have been digging out some bags that have seldom been used in recent years because they were too large (or too delicate) for a public transit commute.

This week I have rediscovered how much I love one of my all-time favorite bags. I haven’t carried her very often in recent years, except on special occasions, because she is just too big and heavy. Now it feels like she is brand new and I am thrilled to be carrying her again!

I have been wearing my teal blue Sydney Leather Shoulder Flap 14614 B4 BL that was released in 2009. I bought her at the outlet in 2010 for $277 (retail price = $798). She was my first colored bag and for a long time she was my most expensive bag. She was a beloved symbol (just take a look at my avatar!) that had faded away but now she is back in the spotlight, what a beauty!

Attached Files:

2. Love the color! It's always nice to rediscover something that's been sitting in your closet! Enjoy!

3. Yay! I love that you brought her back out and she is useful, again!

4. Thanks, I think that I am going to enjoy shopping my closet for some time!

5. LOVE the color and all those pockets! :smile: Isn't it great to rediscover an old love again!

6. What a beautiful purse! Glad you are using it again.

7. I always wonder what bag is in your avatar... It's a beauty! Congrats on your new job & have fun rediscovering treasures! :smile:

8. Very pretty. She deserves some love!

9. Thank you! It is raining today and if I were still taking public transportation I would be carrying a no-worry purse, like a patent leather bag. Today I just parked and ran a few steps to the door under my (Tattersall pattern) umbrella and didn't get a drop of rain on my beautiful Sydney bag - so I'm happy!

10. I have hardly used Sydney for several years so I had considered selling her, but I could never bring myself to let her go - or to change my avatar - so it really is fun to have her back again, thanks!

11. Gorgeous bag!

12. Such a stunning bag and I really enjoyed your story. I'm glad you had a chance to rediscover her!

13. Thank you, it's like getting a new bag but even better!

14. My comment when seeing your bag? WOW! What a beauty in one of my favorite colors...so happy you rediscovered her!

15. good for you
    glad you can get more use out of your beautiful bag