Red wine stain on Sahara!

Tracky527

O.G.
Jan 2, 2009
Ahh please help me u guys! Long story short, have two red wine spots that I tried to clean with baby wipes, apple cleaner and conditioner and now the bag has faded spots and the wine spots are still there! What can I do?! Im so pissed at myself for doing this to my bag, and I wish I would've just left it alone as I've now made the bag look worse than before :shame:

Ahh please help me u guys! Long story short, have two red wine spots that I tried to clean with baby wipes, apple cleaner and conditioner and now the bag has faded spots and the wine spots are still there! What can I do?! Im so pissed at myself for doing this to my bag, and I wish I would've just left it alone as I've now made the bag look worse than before :shame:

The bad news...you've lifted some of the dye. Folks, red wine is nasty on everything! I just got a call from xxx friend of mine that they spilled on an antique carpet. They've blotted up what they could...I'll take care of the rest. Theres a reason most bags used to come only in black or brown......the colors were forgiving! Good news, there's hope.

The situation is now one of restoration. The stain has to be neutralized and the dye restored. This is only for the big boys to do. I didn't catch what the color or materials are. If it's a fine bag, it's worth it, but this is at least a couple hundred dollars to correct. And depending on what YOU did [sorry]...the best of us may only get it 98% back to the way it was, which is actually VERY servicable...one would have to squint to see it. xxxxx

FYI Ladies, should this happen to you, blot the wine with a clean paper napkin asap. If it's smooth or pebbled calf, you could lightly DAB with a damp clean napkin or cloth. THEN STOP! Then get it to the pro that you should already have on speed dial if you're a connoisuer of bags. Baby wipes are too oil based and can lift dyes! They can also get absorbed into the leather and now you have a PERMANENT oil stain. Apple cleaner???

The only RX you should use on bags at home are Murphy's oil soap[yeah, but much, much less oil than baby wipes] old fashioned saddle soap[any horse supply store or site] or Lexol cleaner. If the manufacturer also puts out their own, fine. Never try to rub out a stain...you aren't polishing silver! This also goes for leather shoes, same approach.

We only hurt the ones we love, sigh!

xxxx
do NOT discuss your business on tPF!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for responding everyone. I decided to have my local shoe repair guy who is the best in the city try to repair it first. If it doesnt work out I'll send it to barbara. I just couldn't deal with parting with the bag for a long time and I read somewhere on the forum it might take 2 months!? I get my bag back on the 27th so keeping my fingers crossed..