Red, White & Blue This Weekend! Is SOG Exchange for You?" Round 8 Thread!

Macimage

Oct 7, 2012
Hi Everyone,

As promised we will get the Round 8 SOG exchange started this weekend:smile:!!

I'd like to get the general consensus of what folks would like to do in terms of shipping the box before I post the guidelines. Please post what you would prefer and your thoughts. Here are a few options:

A. Keep all the polishes, swatches and freebies in the current Priority Box.
B. Ship only the polishes and swatches in a smaller box.
C. Ship only the polishes and freebies in a smaller box.
D. Have one round where we only ship the polishes.
E. Other?

Also, I was wondering if allowing the neutral colors to only be swapped with other neutral colors is necessary? Perhaps swappers from prior rounds can let us know if the box ended up with too many or too few neutrals?

To sign up we will keep the list on this thread rather than individual pms.

Please cut and copy the list in the post before you and add your name, city, state and zip code.

I will rearrange the shipping order once we close the sign ups to save everyone on postage.

I'll start:

Macimage-Quartz Hill, CA 93536

Thanks Macimage for posting the important questions! I'll dive in first. My vote is, of course, to somehow get the box back to a flat rate priority box in fairness to all...everyone paying the same postal rate. As some of you may know I live in Hawaii and anything outside the flat rate priority box costs an arm and a leg and if using standard post it literally takes a boat ride here. Lol. I believe the primary goal is to swap polish. With that said, I know the swatches are important to some...so maybe the answer is to get rid of the freebies? I've participated in a few regular nail polish swaps now and they are all in flat rate boxes so there doesn't have to be any figuring out who lives closer to whom due to cost of mailing. Far less hassle for our dear organizer. My concern about the swatches, however, is that with all the new polishes out there at what point will the swatches take over, leaving less room for polish? These are just my opinions. It's okay to disagree :smile:.
So I guess my answer would be b, c, or d. :smile:
Hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend!

Kailuagal-Kailua, HI 96734

I would like to get back to a FlatRate box as well.
My vote would be B,C or D. I don't look at the swatches at all

karenh1996-Commerce City, CO 80022

I value the swatches almost over the polishes. I'm not that thrilled with the swaps I got last time except for one, but I was able to purchase 3 polishes on the basis of the swatches and love them all.

It's a polish exchange, after all, and having a freebie bag with 3 bottles of cuticle remover seemed sort of ridiculous to me. I had a flat rate box at my house and could have gotten the swatches and polishes in it easily - I checked to see before I packed and shipped.

I would be perfectly happy dispensing with the wheels, though, because anyone who has had the box has already seen them all, and they take up a lot of space.

So I think my vote is "other"
Flat rate box, polishes, and swatch sticks only - flat rate box being a priority no matter what we choose. The cost is an issue as well as the order of receipt - with flat rate we won't end up with basically the same route, the same people passing the box on to each other.

I'm waiting until I know what shipping will be and what the contents of the box will be to sign up.

I think I'm going with "E."
Flat rate would be nice, but I'm firmly in the "I love the swatches" camp.

NancyG - Boston, MA 02119
shouldbeworking- Chicago, IL 60613

I agree that the flat rate box needs to be a priority. I also love going through the swatches. I have bought many polishes based on the swatches in the past 3 rounds. I pick B, but I am Ok with D.

One of the other swaps I participate in asks donors to remove polishes that have boon in the box for more than a few rounds. I think that this could be an option at some point. After all, if no one has selected it over and over again, maybe the space could be used for a polish that might be more likely to interest someone.

I also would like to go to a flat rate box. It seemed to have worked best, financially, for everyone and there are no surprises in cost.

As far as neutrals go, I've only participated in two swaps, this will be my third, so I can't say how it went with the prior ones that I didn't participate in. My opinion on this rule is neutral, changing it out sticking by it works fine for me.

I still love seeing the swatches. It seems like I miss some from the previous ones or my color choices change. That being said, I think some of the wheels can be taken out as some colors were on wheels and sticks.

I also agree with Artie that polishes that have been in there for a few rounds now should be taken out. It could be done by the organizer or the contributor when it comes to their turn.

VodkaSoda - Clearwater, FL 33761

Last edited:
kathyathome - Redmond, OR 97756

kathyathome - Redmond, OR 97756

Stormdancer - Myersville, MD. 21773

I like the swatch sticks but hate the wheels. They take up way too much room. I never see much in the freebies that are good. I agree about pulling some of the old polishes. I know we exchange polish for polish but I would like to see a limit about how many each person can take. Some folks took a lot and when I received it I couldn't find hardly anything that appealed to me. I saw lots of items from some of the previous folks that took a lot that I liked. I have only been in a few exchanges but each time I have only found one or two that I liked and have watched in frustration someone before me grab 8-10 that I liked. I hope I am not out of line feeling this way. I also buy mostly gelish or LeChat and don't care for some of the cheaper off brands. I would love to see more of the better brands.

Thanks,

Stormdancer

Hi. After lurking the last 2 SOG exchange threads, I would finally like to participate. I agree with those who said the priority should be having a flat rate and keeping things confined to just one box. I would love to see swatches, if at all possible. I guess I don't know how the swatches are organized, but maybe we can de-bulk the swatch collection by removing some of the older, well-established colors that have been around the block for a while. If something must be sacrificed, them my selection from the choices above would be C.

Hoosieraussis - Roseville, MN 55113

Had an idea about the freebies - if we took the bigger things out so that the bag was more or less flat maybe it would fit on the top as a sort of extra "layer" in place of the space the wheels take up. Instructions could include "donate freebies only as space permits." I haven't seen a lot of opinions about the freebie bag yet - I weighed in on the side of eliminating it altogether, but it seems if people like it they might want to speak up before it's taken out of the box. Just a thought.

I don't like the idea of limiting the number of polishes one can exchange. People are often putting in newer polishes than they are taking out, which freshens the box. Stormdancer, don't take this the wrong way, but you could just as easily have been in a spot in the rotation where the polishes you liked were available to you, or some of them. I got a polish that several people after me said they would have liked, but it just happened to be in there when I got the box, and several people had passed it up. I think maybe your last experience with the box was just not a lucky one. I hope you'll try again. If we end up with a flat rate box the order of recipients will probably change, and possibly you'll find more that you like in the box. Remember that when people take a lot out they also put a lot in.