red lips for women over 40?

NicolesCloset

sassy mama!
O.G.
Apr 3, 2008
in a happy place!
I just began wearing red lipstick because I see celebs like Gwen Stefani and JLo sporting a red lip. They look great and glam. I was told that red lips make women look older when you pass 40. Is red on lips something I should avoid?

cherrycookies

Nov 21, 2012
wear it if you like the look on you!

i once saw a Japanese old woman, likely in her 50s/60s, wearing red lipstick. She is the restaurant owner and she looks great!

bebeklein

Jul 19, 2011
I agree if it suits you wear it. i believe the issue is lips get thinner as you age and a bold red would presumably draw attention to them.

I think she looks fabulous!!

Apr 15, 2007
RED is timeless & ageless..

If you find the right shade & it looks good, go for it!!

Once you wear it you get hooked ..

BunnyLady4

Jul 7, 2012
I found a great SA at Sephora in Chicago and he talked me into a red Lorac lipstick and liner (I'm 45). It was WAY out of my comfort zone, but I've gotten lots of compliments. I say go for it!

knics33

O.G.
Nov 3, 2006
RED is timeless & ageless..

If you find the right shade & it looks good, go for it!!

Once you wear it you get hooked ..
Agreed! :smile:

Go for it! Red is my all time fave lip color (my personal is a darker brick red shade) and I plan on rocking it as long as I am into makeup... which will most definitely be the rest of my life lol.

Charlie

O.G.
Apr 28, 2007
Is red on lips something I should avoid?
Noooooooooo, of course not. You just need to find your perfect shade and off you go. Rock the sh--- out of it!

Here are a few good articles about red lipsticks:

How to choose the perfect red:http://www.temptalia.com/how-to-choose-the-perfect-red-lipstick-tips-tricks

How to apply it: http://www.temptalia.com/how-to-apply-red-lipstick-tips-tricks

And a gallery of pretty much all the reds out there: http://www.temptalia.com/swatch-gallery?color=Red&action=Sort&type=156

Click on each picture for more info.

Best of luck finding your red. I love LOVE red lipstick. I have so many now and use each one of them.

Charlie

O.G.
Apr 28, 2007
Madonna is 54

Sharon Stone is 54 too

Heidi is 39

and of course Dita! She is 40!

See we all should rock red lippies!! :biggrin:

Cornflower Blue

O.G.
Feb 27, 2008
I feel uncomfortable wearing red (or any other strong lip colour) as it seems to drain the life out of me :nogood:(ditto, any khaki coloured clothes). I can wear it though, if I press it onto my lips with my finger, leaving a stain and then top it with a tiny bit neutral gloss.
Have also found that Daniel Sandler does a fab lip colour called Cherub which is like a red-ish neutral colour on me and I can just put that on direct from the tube.
I'm just a scaredy cat...:biggrin:

Charlie

O.G.
Apr 28, 2007
I feel uncomfortable wearing red (or any other strong lip colour) as it seems to drain the life out of me
I have fair skin with pink cheeks so I must be very careful with the red shade I pick. I tend to go for reds with blue undertone. Other tones could either make me look like a corpse or a clown! You need to keep trying until you find what works for you. Once you find the one, you wont go back. Life is to short ;)