red light ticket...anyone?

ilovepinkhearts

J'aime coeurs roses
Dec 28, 2007
anyone received a red light ticket, fought it and won??

i live in tx and i received one and have until the 9/4 to pay it...i don't want to pay it after i watched the video and it plainly shows that i had my blinker on, i stopped and then made the right turn safely [i was making a right turn and the light had just turned red]. there was no one in the intersection. now i did roll past the first solid white line, but i wasn't speeding and you can clearly see that i stop, it wasn't for long, but i did stop. the brake lights are on in full force.

the issue is, that if i fight it i have to go to court and if i lose i have to pay $50 in admin fees plus the $75 ticket. so i want to know what the chances are of winning. there is a lot of talk in tx about completely getting rid of the red light cameras because all anyone cares about is the money and it's not about safety any more...grrr very grrr!

If you did not make a complete stop PRIOR to that first white line (referred to as the "limit line") you DID technically run a run light.....so you are probably out of luck.

At least in CA, that is how the Vehicle Code works.....

anyone received a red light ticket, fought it and won??

i live in tx and i received one and have until the 9/4 to pay it...i don't want to pay it after i watched the video and it plainly shows that i had my blinker on, i stopped and then made the right turn safely [i was making a right turn and the light had just turned red]. there was no one in the intersection. now i did roll past the first solid white line, but i wasn't speeding and you can clearly see that i stop, it wasn't for long, but i did stop. the brake lights are on in full force.

the issue is, that if i fight it i have to go to court and if i lose i have to pay $50 in admin fees plus the $75 ticket. so i want to know what the chances are of winning. there is a lot of talk in tx about completely getting rid of the red light cameras because all anyone cares about is the money and it's not about safety any more...grrr very grrr!

They have camera videos at traffic lights? That's stupid

perhaps you can argue that you had to be over the white line in order to see around the corner to make sure no one was coming. at any rate, id fight it as its losing $50 versus the cost of the ticket and worse yet, points and higher insurance premiums for the moving violation. and the cop may not show so you would win by default.

there is no cop that will show, it's all done by a camera that is attached the light pole. i slightly went over the solid white line, so if that is running a red light...then sheeeesh! everyone should have a ticket, at least the ones that i see driving.

as far as the cameras being stupid, i go both ways. yes they are useful if there is an accident because someone out and out runs a red light. now in my case, i do think it's stupid. i came to a complete stop and then proceed. there is no one coming the intersection is clear.

i wish i could post the video on here but it has all the info for the ticket and the vehicle owner...which is my sister/bil

I've gotten a couple here in Louisiana. I asked the attorney I'm gonig out with if it would do any good fighting them, and he said it's probably just a big waste of time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/proimos/3831268581/

this link seems to imply that you have to proceed thru the intersection before running a red light. since this is a computer and not a human, its probably programmed to send a ticket to any car that moves over the line when the light is red and assumes the car a) didnt stop, b) wasnt making a right turn. if you are a computer and you see in only 2 dimensions, it would look to you like you proceeded thru even tho you made a legal right turn.

id fight it.

^^ which is something else that im afraid of...does this show up on anyone's license? because like i stated above it's my in brother in-laws name, i was borrowing their truck. i have never gotten any kind of a ticket...my record is spotless, so i was wondering if that was something that i could use to my advantage.

My mom got one of these in Plano, and the information that came with the ticket state that a human does review the video and the pictures before the ticket is sent. And I got pulled over in Dallas once for making a right turn on a red. I rolled through it, so yea, brake lights were on, but not a complete stop. The police officer said if you're turning right on red, it works like a stop sign, full and complete stop. Check the video to see if your tires stopped spinning at any point. We had a big laugh over my mom's case, because she insisted that she stopped, but the video showed the tires moving the entire time :smile: Here is the Texas law: http://law.onecle.com/texas/transportation/544.007.00.html

In the Dallas area....got one last year for apparently not coming to a full stop at a red light when turning right. When I tried to view the video online..the site wasn't working!! I decided to just pay the $75 dollar fine...good thing those red light tickets don't count against driving records!