Rectangular Mini or Business Affinity?

luxurista

O.G.
Jan 20, 2008
I've wanted a black mini rectangular flap for some time now, but then saw the business affinity flap in black - and now I'm so conflicted! I love the look of both styles, and of course the mini flap is so classic. I know the business affinity is more practical as it could be used as an everyday bag and will fit more of my items. But... I can't seem to get the mini out of my mind! I don't live that close to a boutique/dept store with Chanel, so I watched a bunch of videos on the business affinity. I love that it's all leather unlike other seasonal pieces.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1927.jpg
    IMG_1927.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,416
  • IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,389
I also wanted to add:

I'd like a lambskin mini, and I'm not really concerned with durability (caviar vs lamb) so that's a non-issue for me!

Also, I would probably go for the medium size in the business affinity.

Last edited:
Depends on what you are getting the for and what kinda user you are?

A mini is definitely not an everyday bag for me as it is too small. I use a long wallet and if I want to go out with my mini, i have to downsize. Also, i have a kid. Wont be travelling light till another 6 years[emoji23] but if you are kid free and don't usually carry much, mini is a good choice. Like you said, it is a classic. Hard to go out of style.

On the other hand, the business affinity is so practical. I like the price, leather interior (have to say though, the vanity case also has a leathet interior[emoji6]). It is a decent size bag that you can crossbody(finally! Chanel is soo stingy with its chains[emoji6]) my only problem is, when it first came out, i was so excited about it. But after a few months, it feel a little 'bleh' to me? The design didnt seem as appealing in some sense. I kind of lost like 1/4 interest on the bag. I dont know why.

All in all, good to think through what kind of lifestyle and personality you have? For me i am perfectly fine with owning a mini and letting it sit there in the cupboard. I use it rarely but still love it alot!

Depends on what you are getting the for and what kinda user you are?

A mini is definitely not an everyday bag for me as it is too small. I use a long wallet and if I want to go out with my mini, i have to downsize. Also, i have a kid. Wont be travelling light till another 6 years[emoji23] but if you are kid free and don't usually carry much, mini is a good choice. Like you said, it is a classic. Hard to go out of style.

On the other hand, the business affinity is so practical. I like the price, leather interior (have to say though, the vanity case also has a leathet interior[emoji6]). It is a decent size bag that you can crossbody(finally! Chanel is soo stingy with its chains[emoji6]) my only problem is, when it first came out, i was so excited about it. But after a few months, it feel a little 'bleh' to me? The design didnt seem as appealing in some sense. I kind of lost like 1/4 interest on the bag. I dont know why.

All in all, good to think through what kind of lifestyle and personality you have? For me i am perfectly fine with owning a mini and letting it sit there in the cupboard. I use it rarely but still love it alot!

That's also what I'm afraid of - that I might lose interest. Plus the flap isn't quilted like it was in the previous season - which I'm totally fine with, aesthetic-wise, but not sure how it will age (?) I'm mainly looking for a crossbody bag, and I like the business affinity because it reminds me of a much nicer (and all leather) version of the pochette metis. I know they are two completely different bags, so hopefully I don't offend anyone as I'm not trying to compare Chanel to LV.

I have a 5 year old, but I don't really have to carry much for her. She likes to carry a mini backpack that she uses as her "purse" (LOL) which holds her snacks and small toys when we go out. She even has a little wallet to hold her library card. So the only things I would need to carry for her are a small pack of wipes and a few band-aids.

That's also what I'm afraid of - that I might lose interest. Plus the flap isn't quilted like it was in the previous season - which I'm totally fine with, aesthetic-wise, but not sure how it will age (?) I'm mainly looking for a crossbody bag, and I like the business affinity because it reminds me of a much nicer (and all leather) version of the pochette metis. I know they are two completely different bags, so hopefully I don't offend anyone as I'm not trying to compare Chanel to LV.

I have a 5 year old, but I don't really have to carry much for her. She likes to carry a mini backpack that she uses as her "purse" (LOL) which holds her snacks and small toys when we go out. She even has a little wallet to hold her library card. So the only things I would need to carry for her are a small pack of wipes and a few band-aids.

Hahah hey!! My girl is 5 too! But I always have to carry a bottle of water around for her. I come from a warm country. My mini can only fit a wallet, iphone and my car keys. I dont like to overstuff my bag and i want to be able to take out each individual items without having to remove other things in the process(i have seen some vloggers pile/stack/arrange their items on top of one another).
Perhaps go for the mini first? Chanel manages to come up with some interesting seasonal items each time. You might find one that you fall head over heels for[emoji6]

Reactions: luxurista
i have the business affinity and i havn´t lost interest, lol since i bought it in fall 2016. I have actually been wearing it more than all my other bags (pretty much every day), because it seems to fit everything I need to carry. I had been on the fence between it and the jumbo, and in the end bought the business affinity as i thought it was classic with a twist. it suits my lifestyle (I need to carry sometimes a lot to work, but in my freetime i carry very little) - it goes seamlessly from week to weekend and because of the caviar, it looks brand new even though i have squeezed it into airplane compartments, and weathered it in the rainy, gusty german winter. And overall for me a dealbreaker is when I cannot wear it cross-body as I have to also carry a laptop bag and sometimes a heavy bag of paperwork (for work).

Then having said this, I bought my bag in Fall 2016 - i havn´t had any quality issues, it looks brand new. So it has the quilting on the cover whilst the pocket was smooth caviar. I am personally not a fan of smooth on top and caviar on the pocket (the new model)- but that is just my aesthetic. What is nice in the new model is that it has feet.

I had gone to the shop and tried both jumbo and the BA - they fit in more or less the same amount. i am pretty sure i am not going to get a jumbo in ghw - my plan was to use this as my daily/ workbag which I am. But I am going to be on the lookout for shw and bhw jumbos. i hope it helps.

I actually have both the rectangular mini in black lambskin with light ghw and a business affinity in the beige color as well. Love both the same but I would get the mini first because they are hard to come by. The business affinity is seasonal and you can always find them on the pre-loved market. Fashionphile has some but the older version. Good luck!

Reactions: luxurista
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who gave their input! It was a tremendous help, and I really enjoyed reading your opinions and advice.

That being said, I've decided to get what I truly want: the mini flap!!! I was looking again at the BA and I think I do prefer the quilted flap from last season, so hopefully they will re-introduce it at some point.

Thanks again everyone!