Recommended Chanel Bags for Tall Women

mandee5421

Apr 10, 2015
Hi all! In my current state of quarantine I have been researching Chanel flap bags, particularly vintage ones, as a nice way to treat myself for my birthday. Only problem is that I love the look of the medium/large double flap bags, but am concerned that size would look odd on my frame (I.e. disproportionately small). Would you taller and curvier ladies recommend the medium flap? And do you prefer it to the jumbo? Any advice or recommendations are appreciated :smile:

I am 6'2" and a US size 12.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: janellec
I'm 6', size 10-12 US (wouldn't call myself curvy, just really athletic)
I suppose the best choice is jumbo (but note it gets heavy).
M/L was sitting too high (in your case it will sit even closer to your armpit) and my arm would totally cover the bag while i was walking (I hope you know what i mean - it didn't sit nicely near hips where it's more visible). Don't think though it looks small - it's not a large bag anyway.
The option is to send it to somebody like Leather Surgeons to extend the strap if you don't worry about reselling.
Another option is reissue 225/226 - they tend to have longer chains.

M/L was sitting too high (in your case it will sit even closer to your armpit) and my arm would totally cover the bag while i was walking (I hope you know what i mean - it didn't sit nicely near hips where it's more visible). Don't think though it looks small - it's not a large bag anyway.
The option is to send it to somebody like Leather Surgeons to extend the strap if you don't worry about reselling.

I have the same frame and agree with your assessment!

Reactions: EmilyM111
Thanks so much!

Reactions: EmilyM111
I always find it interesting when I hear comments about a size of bag for tall or short women. To me it is an occasion and what you carry daily that is the true question. Any size woman can carry a WOC or a Jumbo flap bag.

I think it’s less that “a tall woman can’t wear a small bag” or vice versa. I’m tall, and so many bags that are traditionally crossbody bags are way too short for me to wear crossbody. The Chanel reissue 224s, for example, hit me at the bottom of my ribcage and look ridiculous crossbody. I would hate to invest a lot in a designer bag and come to realize I can’t wear it the way I wanted to, so that’s why I’ve asked these types of questions in the past - can’t speak for OP, but that’s my rationale. Agree that bag choice mostly depends on what you’re carrying and what the occasion is, but my height does factor into my decision making as well.

I think it’s less that “a tall woman can’t wear a small bag” or vice versa. I’m tall, and so many bags that are traditionally crossbody bags are way too short for me to wear crossbody. The Chanel reissue 224s, for example, hit me at the bottom of my ribcage and look ridiculous crossbody. I would hate to invest a lot in a designer bag and come to realize I can’t wear it the way I wanted to, so that’s why I’ve asked these types of questions in the past - can’t speak for OP, but that’s my rationale. Agree that bag choice mostly depends on what you’re carrying and what the occasion is, but my height does factor into my decision making as well.
Completely agree! The size of the bag is not in itself an issue, but some can look disproportionate and don't "fit" like they should. WOCs for example dont work well for me- they are the only bag with a strap length long enough for crossbody, but are so small my frame swallows them up. As a result I'd rather spend my money on a bag that suits me during a time when I can't try a bag on!

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
I always find it interesting when I hear comments about a size of bag for tall or short women. To me it is an occasion and what you carry daily that is the true question. Any size woman can carry a WOC or a Jumbo flap bag.
That's not entirely true and people who ask whether tall/short, recognize that the way they prefer to carry a bag may NOT work for them. The WOC is way too long for a petite person who likes to only shoulder carry and the jumbo will be too heavy for many women regardless of height. Tall people carry the jumbo is such an overused advice - like all tall people want a heavy bag?! The M/L and 226 might fit the occasion and what someone carries but will look crazy short on a tall woman who likes to crossbody, but petite women look great with it crossbody. I think the people who ask likely know their own style and preferences and realize their body won't look ultra cute in a bag someone with a different body type can wear.

That said, as a 5'11 I'd pick a seasonal bag over a classic as they tend to have much longer chains. The rectangular mini is also quite nice as a shoulder or crossbody.

I am in the same boat, I was ready to buy my first Chanel bag but then understandably the boutiques closed. I am 5 8 and I am a size 14. I am debating between the Jumbo and M/L. I think the Jumbo would look better on my frame.

I am in the same boat, I was ready to buy my first Chanel bag but then understandably the boutiques closed. I am 5 8 and I am a size 14. I am debating between the Jumbo and M/L. I think the Jumbo would look better on my frame.

I haven’t tried the medium flap but have the Maxi and Jumbo. I’m 5’8 and size 14. Here’s the Jumbo on me. Though I have a slightly long torso and shorter legs.
33C2046C-4E9D-4502-A973-4E6E0A571FAF.jpeg 983A2B73-B96A-4629-B71E-249E2AEE213E.jpeg

Jumbo 100% perfect bag!! I’m 5’9” and sold all my m/l because they are disproportionately smaller. (Short chain, much smaller bag). The other bag I wear is the medium/large coco handle - the small works too because of the handle.