Recommend a Wig?

Deppaholic

O.G.
Feb 28, 2013
Hi ladies,

I was wondering if anybody has a recommendation of a great wig. I've never ventured into these waters. I have used the clips to pull my hair back, and while that is fine. I would love to have a wig to throw on those days that I don't want to spend an hour on my hair. Plus there's the roots showing every few weeks too! Suggestions please? I searched for a thread but couldn't find one. TIA

How much are you willing to spend? A human hair wig is best because you can color it to match the hair color you have, or you can use heat tools on it to style it. If you can't afford a human hair wig, I recommend a synthetic blend wig, which is usually a blend of synthetic and human hair. I advise against 100% synthetic wigs because usually, (especially in blond shades) they have a fake, shiny plastic look to them.

However, I don't recommend a wig if your hair is already long and thick and curly. (But if yours isn't, then go right ahead!) When my hair got long, there was too much hair and too thick to pull back into the wig cap anymore. It's definitely easier to style and adjust it naturally if your hair is short. Sometimes long hair and a wig, is just too much. It looks puffy at the top, because you're stuffing so much hair underneath there.

Also, please remember, if your hair is long (if you are pulling it back to fit underneath the wig and pin, pin, pinning it back with bobby pins. If your hair is really short you might just be able to place the wig on your head and adjust as desired.) do not wear your wig everyday, because constantly pulling back the hair so tight will severely damage the hair to the point where it might even break off from the constant pulling. If you need a website recommendation, I bought a pricey synthetic/human hair blend wig from this website and was very pleased: http://shop.wigsbuy.com/

And remember, you want to make sure you know what you're getting for all the money that you're spending on this wig so make sure it clearly states what kind of hair is in the wig. A lot of websites will advertise the wigs as 100% human hair when they aren't, and they are in fact a blend of synthetic hair with human hair mixed in. Don't wash your wig like you wash your regular hair. Make sure you wash the wig gently, don't scrub harshly, and use a more gentle conditioner. The shampoo & conditioner I used on my wig were both from Sally's, and they were meant to be used on hair extensions, so they were gentle and worked great on my wig. Also synthetic wigs are meant to be worn as is and not fussed with--they really should not be washed often. Lastly, please store your wig on a wig block--it doesn't have to be wooden, it can be foam. This helps to ensure that the wig keeps its shape, (the style doesn't fall apart). I hope you find a great wig! Wigs are never a bad thing, they let you be so creative! HTH :smile:

Thank you for all the helpful tips. I have had extensions before and what a wonderful thing, for the rich and famous! Boy, were they ever something to keep up, but helped me grow my hair out, yet what a disaster after keeping them in a bit too long (my fault). I did love them though. I do believe I have WAY to much hair for a wig to fit properly. It's below my shoulders, and on humid days, Oh My Goodness, what a poofy mess, and not a cute one like Shirley Temple's either! I will check out the website though. Thank you for posting that. I do have a clip "in" human hair extension, but it was colored for when I had my hair a lighter shade, although it clipped in, not on top like a wig. I wish I could have all of Cher's wigs! Thanks again!