Recoloring coach bag.. HELP!

Cynchaci

Nov 5, 2016
Hi guys, i just want to ask for your opinion, i had teo of my old bags redyed by someone with a "leather restoration business". The bags are made of pebbled leather. One is coach and the other one is michael kors. I paid around $150 dollars for the two bags to be recolored.
While still in the store i noticed that my michael kors bag's color (olive green color)started to crack see attached.. while the coach bag(dark pink) some parts started to crack the first time i used it after i got it from the store.. is this normal? Knowing that the material of the bags is pebbled leather? Or does this say that it wasn't done carefully and neatly-poorly done? Original color for both bags were white.
Is it not advisable to recolor pebbled leather and soft leather?
Im just afraid that the colors wont last for long. And ofcourse i dont want my money going down the drain. Im bringing it back to the store to have them re-do it. Or resolve it. I just want to ask for tour opinions so i would know what to say as this is my first time to have my bags recolored.
I hope someone can help me as i will be talking to the owner of the store tomorrow.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20170519_163549.jpg
    IMG_20170519_163549.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_20170510_132921.jpg
    IMG_20170510_132921.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 560
  • Screenshot_20170519-162607.png
    Screenshot_20170519-162607.png
    545.2 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_20170519_162954.png
    IMG_20170519_162954.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 564
  • Screenshot_20170519-162558.png
    Screenshot_20170519-162558.png
    605.6 KB · Views: 551
  • Screenshot_20170519-162607.png
    Screenshot_20170519-162607.png
    545.2 KB · Views: 566
It looks like they didn't use a proper leather dye but just an acrylic paint that didn't adhere correctly. I've used Tarragon leather dye on pebbled leather and it moves with the leather, doesn't crack.

It looks like paint rather than dye to me. I've dyed objects and it soaks into the fabric / leather / etc and literally dyes the material, it cannot crack. I think those items were painted or dipped into a 'dye' that just coated the outside of the leather.

Reactions: Kidclarke
Really, i just thought maybe the bags were too old and toos soft that's why the dye didnt adhere properly. It's my first time to have them redyed, i dont know what they should look in actuality though i did my reasearch before doing it.
Thanks for the insights girls i really appreciate it

I agree, you didn't get what you paid for. I've dyed bags at home and never had this problem. I find pebbled leather easier to color evenly than smooth leather.

Leather dyes like fiebings and tarrago are not available here and i thought bringing them to an expert is the best way to care for my old bags

Seeing the end results and Hearing you say it's easy to do it made me decide to do this next time on my own.

I guess i just have to do more research and watch more videos about this so i could learn and do it myself next time :smile:

I agree, you didn't get what you paid for. I've dyed bags at home and never had this problem. I find pebbled leather easier to color evenly than smooth leather.

may i ask madame if you have pics of your DIY-ed bags in pebble or soft leather? so i would know hat it should actually look like when done? would greatly appreciate it so i can show it to the store :smile:

thank you

may i ask madame if you have pics of your DIY-ed bags in pebble or soft leather? so i would know hat it should actually look like when done? would greatly appreciate it so i can show it to the store :smile:

thank you
I'm sorry I don't. Most of the time I didn't actually change the color of the bag; I just refreshed the original color. It should like it was made that way. You shouldn't be able to tell it was dyed. Any product that was made for use on leather shouldn't crack when the leather is bent.