Received fakes - now what?

keya

O.G.
Jan 5, 2006
As some of you know, I haven't been having the best of luck with ebay lately. The last in what seems like a long line of fleebay fiascoes happened yesterday: I received a pair of fake CLs. I contacted the seller to let her know, and she told me she had no idea and to return the shoes to her for a refund. She also said that she had a money back warranty on the shoes, so that she'd get her money back too. So far, all is well. I just want to make sure I do this the right way. Should I just return the shoes to her, with a tracking #, without communicating through PP? Then what if she doesn't refund me, will PP automatically give me my money back if I open a claim and provide them with the tracking #? I've returned an item to the seller before, and ended up being out the item, the money plus shipping back to the seller. I just want to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Also, am I responsible for paying return shipping, even though the seller sold me fakes? I'm in Europe, and return shipping with tracking is $60 (I just looked it up. Everything is more expensive here) I don't want to risk sending them back without tracking, but if I have to cover both shipping to me and back, I'll be out $80 even if she does refund me like she says she will.

Any input is appreciated :flowers:

Well....if the value of the shoes is greater than $250 you need to ship it with some type of signature confirmation to be covered.

If it were me, I would honestly open a Paypal transaction, so that you have a record of what is going on, in case she decides to flake out.

As for the shipping. Unfortunately Paypal does not usually refund any of the shipping fees.

All that said, if the seller has really good feedback, and seems quick to respond I would email her back and ask if she is willing to refund everything to you (shipping, etc.) before opening Paypal dispute. Keep all email records, and if she turns into a flake upon return, then you can open the dispute.

I would file a dispute with paypal, and hopefully you will get back your shipping cost too. If you don't file with paypal you will have nothing to fall back on if she decides to keep the fake shoes and your money.

Well....if the value of the shoes is greater than $250 you need to ship it with some type of signature confirmation to be covered.

If it were me, I would honestly open a Paypal transaction, so that you have a record of what is going on, in case she decides to flake out.

As for the shipping. Unfortunately Paypal does not usually refund any of the shipping fees.

All that said, if the seller has really good feedback, and seems quick to respond I would email her back and ask if she is willing to refund everything to you (shipping, etc.) before opening Paypal dispute. Keep all email records, and if she turns into a flake upon return, then you can open the dispute.

The shoes were $450, including shipping. I'm afraid that if I ask her to cover the return shipping, I'll get on her bad side and she'll end up not refunding me at all. :s

I would file a dispute with paypal, and hopefully you will get back your shipping cost too. If you don't file with paypal you will have nothing to fall back on if she decides to keep the fake shoes and your money.

So you think I should tell her that I'll be opening a PP dispute so that we can communicate through PP, just in case?

better be safe than sorry. I would let her know that you are opening a paypal claim for safe measure not anything personal against her so she doesn't take it the wrong way and get offended. Just so you are cautious bc you don't know if she is going to flake out or not so you should have pp behind your back just in case she does. Good luck I hope everything gets resolved.

Really? I thought that once filed and decided in your favor, they refund the original shipping fess, but not the return shipping fees. Learn something new everyday! Thanks:smile:

This is what has happened to me. I was fully refunded for the purchase price and original shipping. I had to pay for the return shipping. This just happened Apr 13 so I don't think it's changed.

How is the seller's FB? I would return, insured with tracking. I wouldn't file the PP complaint unless she looks like a scammer. Make sure you keep the tracking number and do all communication through my ebay.

Really? I thought that once filed and decided in your favor, they refund the original shipping fess, but not the return shipping fees. Learn something new everyday! Thanks:smile:
Yes I think you are right. They refund the full original amount including shipping but not return shipping. Its not really fair I think, why should anyone be out of pocket because they received fakes...???

Sorry to be so out of it but I had no idea they were faking Louboutin SHOES!!!!!I would say do go through paypal so you are protected but you can still keep in contact with the seller too.Insure and keep receipts, maybe even photograph the shoes in return box in case you need to prove your case.
As some of you know, I haven't been having the best of luck with ebay lately. The last in what seems like a long line of fleebay fiascoes happened yesterday: I received a pair of fake CLs. I contacted the seller to let her know, and she told me she had no idea and to return the shoes to her for a refund. She also said that she had a money back warranty on the shoes, so that she'd get her money back too. So far, all is well. I just want to make sure I do this the right way. Should I just return the shoes to her, with a tracking #, without communicating through PP? Then what if she doesn't refund me, will PP automatically give me my money back if I open a claim and provide them with the tracking #? I've returned an item to the seller before, and ended up being out the item, the money plus shipping back to the seller. I just want to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Also, am I responsible for paying return shipping, even though the seller sold me fakes? I'm in Europe, and return shipping with tracking is $60 (I just looked it up. Everything is more expensive here) I don't want to risk sending them back without tracking, but if I have to cover both shipping to me and back, I'll be out $80 even if she does refund me like she says she will.

Any input is appreciated :flowers:

How is the seller's FB? I would return, insured with tracking. I wouldn't file the PP complaint unless she looks like a scammer. Make sure you keep the tracking number and do all communication through my ebay.

If I insure the package for the full value I paid, wont the seller have to pay customs fees? (seller is in the US, I'm in Europe) I didn't have to pay customs fees, because the seller marked the package as being worth less.
The seller has perfect feedback. I contacted her through ebay but she answered directly to my email. I guess I would feel more comfortable communicating through PP.

Sorry to be so out of it but I had no idea they were faking Louboutin SHOES!!!!!I would say do go through paypal so you are protected but you can still keep in contact with the seller too.Insure and keep receipts, maybe even photograph the shoes in return box in case you need to prove your case.

Ah, good idea! :flowers: