Received dyed bag... SNAD?

rkiz

May 21, 2016
I recently purchased a vintage NYC-era Coach on eBay. It just came in, and it's clearly been dyed - texture feels plasticy, it's has an oddly shiny sheen, and there is black on some of the brass hardware. The seller did not disclose (doesn't appear they sell many bags and may not have known?) that the bag has been dyed, and had I known I would not have purchased. They do offer returns but I would have to pay return shipping and a restock fee... which in the end means I lose half of what I paid to get it here, so I'm not even sure it's worth the bother. Am I on the hook for this, or is this a SNAD case? I want to message the seller before I go further, but wanted to get opinions here before I do that. Thanks for any input!

I recently purchased a vintage NYC-era Coach on eBay. It just came in, and it's clearly been dyed - texture feels plasticy, it's has an oddly shiny sheen, and there is black on some of the brass hardware. The seller did not disclose (doesn't appear they sell many bags and may not have known?) that the bag has been dyed, and had I known I would not have purchased. They do offer returns but I would have to pay return shipping and a restock fee... which in the end means I lose half of what I paid to get it here, so I'm not even sure it's worth the bother. Am I on the hook for this, or is this a SNAD case? I want to message the seller before I go further, but wanted to get opinions here before I do that. Thanks for any input!
If the bag wasn't to your liking, then you'd be responsible for shipping and restocking but because this is SNAD, you shouldn't be out any money. If the seller doesn't agree to cover return shipping and issue a full refund (without your having to dispute it), open a dispute and let ebay tell her that it's her responsibility.

Reactions: rkiz
If the bag wasn't to your liking, then you'd be responsible for shipping and restocking but because this is SNAD, you shouldn't be out any money. If the seller doesn't agree to cover return shipping and issue a full refund (without your having to dispute it), open a dispute and let ebay tell her that it's her responsibility.

Thanks BeenBurned, I was hoping you'd chime in! :smile: I guess I just wasn't sure if eBay would consider this a case of "not as described". I didn't want to cause a big fuss if it was something I'm not likely to win. I will send her a message, hopefully she is easy to work with.

Thanks BeenBurned, I was hoping you'd chime in! :smile: I guess I just wasn't sure if eBay would consider this a case of "not as described". I didn't want to cause a big fuss if it was something I'm not likely to win. I will send her a message, hopefully she is easy to work with.
They often tend to side in favor of buyers even when unjustified but in this case, I suspect that with good clear pictures and a detailed description of what makes it SNAD, you should win.

Keep us updated as to the seller's reply. Good luck.

They often tend to side in favor of buyers even when unjustified but in this case, I suspect that with good clear pictures and a detailed description of what makes it SNAD, you should win.

Keep us updated as to the seller's reply. Good luck.

I just sent her a message, I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Got a quick response, though not what I was hoping for:

"hi, sorry you are displeased
I described condition of the bag to the best of my ability. I , myself did not dye the bag and did not send it to be restored. It is vintage-- 80's? I bought it used and wore it for a while-- Did not noticed any smell. All I saw it was clean and odorless- no spots or rips I consider it in good condition with age related wear.
I also made pictures for decision making process. There is 20% stocking fee and buyer is responsible for shipping expense."

I guess I will open a dispute and let eBay take care of it...

Got a quick response, though not what I was hoping for:

"hi, sorry you are displeased
I described condition of the bag to the best of my ability. I , myself did not dye the bag and did not send it to be restored. It is vintage-- 80's? I bought it used and wore it for a while-- Did not noticed any smell. All I saw it was clean and odorless- no spots or rips I consider it in good condition with age related wear.
I also made pictures for decision making process. There is 20% stocking fee and buyer is responsible for shipping expense."

I guess I will open a dispute and let eBay take care of it...
Her comment about "she herself not dying or sending the bag out for restoration" is an implication that she seems aware of issues and could possibly be lying by omission. (That's speculation.)

Are you sure the bag is authentic? You might also post on the Coach subforum and request whether they think the bag has been treated. I don't rehab but some of the other ladies there are good at recognizing dyed and polished bags. (Additionally, they'd love to know which seller to avoid!) ;)

IMO, if the seller were smart, she would have apologized for not recognizing that the bag was polished or dyed, accepted a return and offered full refund and could have relisted with a more accurate description. That would probably have earned her a positive feedback because she would have gone above and beyond!

Her comment about "she herself not dying or sending the bag out for restoration" is an implication that she seems aware of issues and could possibly be lying by omission. (That's speculation.)

Are you sure the bag is authentic? You might also post on the Coach subforum and request whether they think the bag has been treated. I don't rehab but some of the other ladies there are good at recognizing dyed and polished bags. (Additionally, they'd love to know which seller to avoid!) ;)

IMO, if the seller were smart, she would have apologized for not recognizing that the bag was polished or dyed, accepted a return and offered full refund and could have relisted with a more accurate description. That would probably have earned her a positive feedback because she would have gone above and beyond!

Yeah I'm sure it's authentic, I've been rehabbing and collecting for the past year so I feel pretty confident with this one. It's a School Bag, which I was excited about, too bad it turned out this way! Once I get the go ahead to send it back I will share the seller/bag info in the vintage Coach chat thread in case she resists it.

What a shame. I feel your disappointment. I would have excited to find a school bag too. I think you should emphasize that as a vintage item, the value is ruined if it has been altered with dye. Do you think it is Leather Refinisher? That can feel plasticky.

What a shame. I feel your disappointment. I would have excited to find a school bag too. I think you should emphasize that as a vintage item, the value is ruined if it has been altered with dye. Do you think it is Leather Refinisher? That can feel plasticky.

I'm actually not familiar with leather refinisher, so I'm not sure? If I end up having to keep it, I will just relist it as a dyed bag and hope someone else feels like dealing with it. eBay emailed me this morning saying I should hear back with their decision within 48 hours...

I'm actually not familiar with leather refinisher, so I'm not sure? If I end up having to keep it, I will just relist it as a dyed bag and hope someone else feels like dealing with it. eBay emailed me this morning saying I should hear back with their decision within 48 hours...

eBay decided in my favor. I will post the bag in the vintage chat thread.