Received a discontinued Tiffany charm that seem to be fake... what next?!

lannes

ღ
Dec 21, 2009
Hi ladies, hope you could help me evaluate a purchase I just received and let me know if it sounds suspicious to you too?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Diana-Courage-artemis-Olympian-sterling-silver-charm-mint-new-condition-/221310122462?nma=true&si=zn%252FKxkG06FIwGyd59MzktTinSf4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I had to resort to eBay for this Tiffany Diana Courage charm as it's been discontinued. The seller had 100% positive ratings (over 300), has sold many Tiffany items in the past. When I received it though, I noticed that the pouch it came with seemed to be fake. At least compared to the other same size Tiffany pouches I own (the most recent one from last Christmas). I'm posting comparison pics below but I wanted to double check in case Tiffany has changed the standards of their pouches this year and I just didn't know? It bothers be because if the pouch is fake the charm is most likely a counterfeit too. An ex-Tiffany SA friend said unless I am willing to pay and part with it for weeks, the store won't validate it for me...

Here are the differences [pix order: purchase, own, own]
- The pouch is a little bit taller and therefore doesn't fit in the Tiffany box when laid flat, compared my other two pouches of the same size. This is what caught my attention actually
- The lettering logo on the pouch is clearly reflective and looks printed on
- The interior thread work is rough, the lining especially look different compared to my two other pouches
- There is a "Made in China" tag in the interior pouch that doesn't exist on my own pouches
- The draw string had end knots with wisps and a tail at the end, whereas my Tiffany ones are clean cut at the end of the knot (both the old and new pouches)

The seller claimed he bought it at a store in NJ and everything is "1000% authentic" after I contacted him about the difference. If it's truly me being paranoid then I will apologize to him, but if not, I do want him also removed from eBay rather than just sending it back!

Thanks so much to anyone who bothered to look through everything! Hope to hear your responses.

Attachments

• Size.jpg
    Size.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 1,422
  • Logo.jpg
    Logo.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,249
  • Knot.jpg
    Knot.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,219
  • Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,289
  • Tag 2.jpg
    Tag 2.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 1,212
Last edited:
I did drop by a store to ask about the validity. The SA said I can pay to have to sent in, but by the time they are finished (weeks), it would be too late with eBay. They then told me it's never a good idea to buy things off eBay... I've always been careful but I guess I learned my lesson.

Just wanted to know other people's thoughts on this too, might just be me over-thinking!

Thanks, I'll go back to the store and see if they're willing to give me something in writing right away... I'm moving to Asia in a week to start my new job so this complicates things a bit.

Hopefully things work out. I had looked forward to this for so long <sigh>

If you're moving in a week, and you're uncomfortable with the charm, I think you should just initiate the return process and be done with it. Moving is already stressful enough. Does the seller accept returns?

If you're moving in a week, and you're uncomfortable with the charm, I think you should just initiate the return process and be done with it. Moving is already stressful enough. Does the seller accept returns?
I agree. The seller/listing shows a 14-day return policy so you can return for any reason at all.

According to the return policy in the listing, buyer pays return shipping. Just be sure to purchase signature confirmation.

Don't send it back until you tell the seller that you'll be doing so.

Since seller accepts the returns, I would just return it if you are not comfortable with the purchase. But "seem to be fake" is not a proof that the item is fake. I don't know anything about Tiffany, but I sell many high-end designer brands and speaking from experience, dust bags, pouches, boxes, etc. go through changes over the years/season. The pouch from 1999 may look very different then the pouch from 2012. Even where the item was made can change from season to season. That does not mean that the item is fake.

Since seller accepts the returns, I would just return it if you are not comfortable with the purchase. But "seem to be fake" is not a proof that the item is fake. I don't know anything about Tiffany, but I sell many high-end designer brands and speaking from experience, dust bags, pouches, boxes, etc. go through changes over the years/season. The pouch from 1999 may look very different then the pouch from 2012. Even where the item was made can change from season to season. That does not mean that the item is fake.

Thanks! I understand the pouches might have changed, but I know that this item came out and was discontinued in the same year as one of my other Tiffany purchases (~3 years ago?) so I assume there shouldn't be too much of a difference. Plus I had made that purchase while in NY so geographical difference shouldn't exist either. It just felt alarming with all the comparison, but perhaps you're right I'm just overreacting. :smile:

Thanks everyone! If nothing conclusive comes from the next boutique visit I'll just initiate a return and suck up the intl shipping. Truly lesson learned!

:hrmm: I guess it just irritates me personally knowing that something might be a counterfeit, because sending it back just means there are more victims and that the seller continues to operate with a high feedback. Having had that experience I wouldn't wish it on anyone!

I looked some of my Tiffany pouches from various time. I understand your concern. You can post the charm on "Authenticate this jewelry" thread.
http://forum.purseblog.com/the-jewelry-box/authenticate-this-jewelry-or-seller-30027-519.html
Like other people have said already, returning is the easiest way to deal with this since authentication might cost more than return shipping. Just don't forget to add tracking & signature required service when you send out.

I looked some of my Tiffany pouches from various time. I understand your concern. You can post the charm on "Authenticate this jewelry" thread.
http://forum.purseblog.com/the-jewelry-box/authenticate-this-jewelry-or-seller-30027-519.html
Like other people have said already, returning is the easiest way to deal with this since authentication might cost more than return shipping. Just don't forget to add tracking & signature required service when you send out.

Agree.. Tiffany pouches do change over the years

I'd authenticate it here on the forum because this is available to you.

If you don't want to do this, then return the item as suggested above &
since the seller takes returns, its not a problem

Thanks! I understand the pouches might have changed, but I know that this item came out and was discontinued in the same year as one of my other Tiffany purchases (~3 years ago?) so I assume there shouldn't be too much of a difference. Plus I had made that purchase while in NY so geographical difference shouldn't exist either. It just felt alarming with all the comparison, but perhaps you're right I'm just overreacting. :smile:

It's also possible that the pouch you got isn't the charm's original pouch. I own a few Tiffany pieces, but I'm not so anal that I put them all in their own pouch that they originally came with. The pouch could be from 1992 even if the charm is only a couple years old, or vice versa

I went to Tiffany today to check out the new Atlas collection AND inquire about this.

The SA looked it over and said "This is not something that we have created". She started smirking too after I said I got it off eBay... I've never been so embarrassed.

They of course, don't provide any written proof, and she was reluctant to go through the 'send it in for cleaning' method. When she confirmed it again with her manager though, I recorded the last half of our conversation on our phone.

I'm going to let eBay know :mad:

Last edited: