Received a discontinued Tiffany charm that seem to be fake... what next?!

I went to Tiffany today to check out the new Atlas collection AND inquire about this.

The SA looked it over and said "This is not something that we have created". She started smirking too after I said I got it off eBay... I've never been so embarrassed.

They of course, don't provide any written proof, and she was reluctant to go through the 'send it in for cleaning' method. When she confirmed it again with her manager though, I recorded the last half of our conversation on our phone.

I'm going to let eBay know :mad:

Hi OP.
Just send it back to the seller.

Agree... the seller has a return policy.. just send it back & be done with it!

I'd also leave feedback as well to warn other buyers

I would not leave feedback unless I had it professionally authenticated and 100% sure that the item is fake. Consulting a SA at Tiffany's or even the manager does not qualify for authentification in my opinion. SAs come and go, not all have the extensive knowledge of the brand, especially of the older item.
Example: I once had a customer who was concerned about the authenticity of a pair of Louboutins that I sold, because she claimed that the SA at CL boutique said that she "does not remember this style, so it must be fake". SAs are also trained to discourage customers from shopping on ebay. So, they are bias that way.

I

The SA looked it over and said "This is not something that we have created". She started smirking too after I said I got it off eBay... I've never been so embarrassed.

Sounds very rude of the SA...she obviously needs to brush up on her social skills. A good one would have been sympathetic and not smirky. And honestly, I would not take an SA's word for anything.

If you're moving in a week, and you're uncomfortable with the charm, I think you should just initiate the return process and be done with it. Moving is already stressful enough. Does the seller accept returns?

i thought all sellers had to accept returns even if they posted in a listed that they did not!

or is this something else that ebay has changed??

OP did you have the item authenticated here on the forum??

If so & it was deemed a "fake" would leave feedback to warn other buyers...

If not, then would just not take the word of a SA.. just send it back as the
seller has a return policy

i thought all sellers had to accept returns even if they posted in a listed that they did not!

or is this something else that ebay has changed??
As long as items are accurately and honestly described, the seller doesn't have to take a return. But if an item is SNAD, ebay and/or paypal can force a return.

The rules state that sellers must have a return policy. The sellers' policy can say they accept or do not accept returns.

From the policy:

If you accept returns, a buyer can return an item for any reason, including when they change their mind about a purchase—as long as the return meets the return requirements—for example, returning an item within your stated time frame, and meeting item condition requirements.
Important: Even if you specify "no returns accepted," the item could still be returned if it doesn't match the item description. Learn more about what eBay Buyer Protection means to sellers.

^^^^^ This is the important part in red. ^^^^^
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/return-policy.html

There have been cases where sellers stated "no returns," had claims filed and were successfully able to prove their cases that the items were accurately described and cases were resolved against the buyers.

As long as items are accurately and honestly described, the seller doesn't have to take a return. But if an item is SNAD, ebay and/or paypal can force a return.

The rules state that sellers must have a return policy. The sellers' policy can say they accept or do not accept returns.

From the policy:

If you accept returns, a buyer can return an item for any reason, including when they change their mind about a purchase—as long as the return meets the return requirements—for example, returning an item within your stated time frame, and meeting item condition requirements.
Important: Even if you specify "no returns accepted," the item could still be returned if it doesn't match the item description. Learn more about what eBay Buyer Protection means to sellers.

^^^^^ This is the important part in red. ^^^^^
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/return-policy.html

There have been cases where sellers stated "no returns," had claims filed and were successfully able to prove their cases that the items were accurately described and cases were resolved against the buyers.

thanks BB! :smile:

i know it was a couple years back but i remember reading here where people would say it did not matter what the seller said - if the buyer wanted to return and item the seller had to accept it so including those "no returns accepted" clauses in a description were worthless.

thanks BB! :smile:

i know it was a couple years back but i remember reading here where people would say it did not matter what the seller said - if the buyer wanted to return and item the seller had to accept it so including those "no returns accepted" clauses in a description were worthless.

When a buyer files a claim, "no return" policy would be voided.
I always clearly state "no return" in my listings. And because of that, I have to be super careful with my description and photos making sure they are as accurate as possible. I've never had any claims against me(so far) but a few buyers who didn't fit the shoes or changed their minds asked me to use my photos for reselling their purchases. Because they knew my policy. So it's not entirely worthless.
If eBay changes the policy and I have to accept all returns, I wouldn't be selling there.

When a buyer files a claim, "no return" policy would be voided.
I always clearly state "no return" in my listings. And because of that, I have to be super careful with my description and photos making sure they are as accurate as possible. I've never had any claims against me(so far) but a few buyers who didn't fit the shoes or changed their minds asked me to use my photos for reselling their purchases. Because they knew my policy. So it's not entirely worthless.
If eBay changes the policy and I have to accept all returns, I wouldn't be selling there.
That's not true. If the seller can prove the item isn't SNAD and that the buyer received an accurately pictured and described item, the buyer would lose the dispute and the seller's "no return" policy upheld.

Here's the policy:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item-not-as-described.html#provide

From the policy:

Provide documentation that the item was properly described

If you can show that an item was properly described, the case can be closed. Here are examples of descriptions that match the item:

• The buyer states that the item is used, not new, and the listing clearly describes the item as used.
  • A defect in the item was correctly described by the seller.
  • The item was properly described, but the buyer didn't want it after receiving it.
  • The item was properly described but didn't meet the buyer's expectations.
  • The item has minor scratches and was listed as used condition.

I would not leave feedback unless I had it professionally authenticated and 100% sure that the item is fake. Consulting a SA at Tiffany's or even the manager does not qualify for authentification in my opinion. SAs come and go, not all have the extensive knowledge of the brand , especially of the older item.

So true - they can be quite mistaken when it comes to authenticity.

the Tiffany pouch is fake...I have seen the same one on some fake sites!
however, not sure about the charm....I doubt the SA knows about all of their product.
Best to ask for a cleaning at Tiffany somewhere else to really know