Receipts now asked for bags needing service outside of Paris

receipts are no proof of authenticity so am not sure what the store manager is trying to achieve!

I totally agree.

I think it would be a shame if they would stop accept older bags for service/spa.
Isn't Hermès meant to be forever if you are a bit careful with your bags? Bags that you can give to your daughter etc.?
I do have all the receipt for my bags, but I can imagine a lot of people don't, especially when they have a vintage bag or bought second hand.

Besides, I guess the craftsmen are talented enough to spot a fake. So if they come across one, they can simply refuse to accept it for repair. And, like chincac said, a receipt doesn't proof the authenticity of a bag :shrugs:.

Well, half my birkins are from the store and the other half from resellers.

So for reseller bags, they usually give you the receipt with their information blacked out.

Would that be accepted by the store for repair? Can you imagine bringing that receipt into your store? That beautiful photocopied receipt covered in Sharpie? :rolleyes:

^
Would love to know this too.. 3 of my Birkins were bought from reseller, it came with the original receipts with their information blacked out.. All 3 are quite new but if later i need to take them to spa I wonder if H will make a fuss about this..

I just need to verify with you all if you know about the new policy. I was told by my SA to keep the receipts for all my bags as they have stopped accepting repairs unless they come with a receipt. They may be able to accept a bag without a receipt if they know the customer well. This came into effect because of an incident wherein a client sent the bag for service. Then the bag was discovered to be a fake by the in house craftsman. ( The owner of the bag had no idea bec it was bought by a friend from a reseller) The bag was never returned to the owner and sent to Paris (to be destroyed presumably) . They said it was a birkin in blue de Malte 35 cm.
Even my SA told me this policy, but did not mention to keep the receipt.
As is the case for other brands, Hermès enforces its products and in the case in which an article, is sent for repair, it proves counterfeit, is no longer returned ​​to the owner. Perhaps the receipt can facilitate research, although it is certainly registered in the system.
It could also be, in my opinion, that Hermès wants to limit repairs to just "customers", diversifying those who buy in shops by people who otherwise buy from a dealer.In this regard, I think it is right that Hermès wants to ensure a certain type of service to items purchased at a boutique, but likewise do not think it right that an object, however original, to be discarded just because from a second sales channel.

I really think this is a rubbish policy if it is reinforced in my local store! I am searching for a croc Kelly and am seriously looking into the 2nd hand market. The last one I tried to buy was from 1994. There is no way the owner would have kept the receipt and even if she did, it would have faded. This now could mean that I can't send the bag for refurbishment. This totally sucks IMO!

Another ridiculous H policy !! I'm getting tired of it. If they are worried about authenticity, just stop servicing all bags. Or return the bag to the owner. They have no right to destroy the bag. Should they start making customers sign a contract when they purchase a bag that they can't hand it down or sell it without the paperwork ?

There are many good leather repair shops around the country. I've a Kelly bought at a Christie's auction serviced by a Docride and a reputable repair shop that Nordstrom uses and they are great. Got the bag back within a week and leather is buffed up the same as if I send to the Hermes craftsman at a fraction of the cost. I think sometimes it is a myth that H craftsman can do a better job than others. Besides, H never service the interior whereas the shop I took it to did an excellent job in and out.

Reactions: GGNoodles
Another ridiculous H policy !! I'm getting tired of it. If they are worried about authenticity, just stop servicing all bags. Or return the bag to the owner. They have no right to destroy the bag. Should they start making customers sign a contract when they purchase a bag that they can't hand it down or sell it without the paperwork ?

There are many good leather repair shops around the country. I've a Kelly bought at a Christie's auction serviced by a Docride and a reputable repair shop that Nordstrom uses and they are great. Got the bag back within a week and leather is buffed up the same as if I send to the Hermes craftsman at a fraction of the cost. I think sometimes it is a myth that H craftsman can do a better job than others. Besides, H never service the interior whereas the shop I took it to did an excellent job in and out.

That sounds good, but I thought H spa will never service a bag that's been serviced by someone else?

well as we all know, H policies are notoriously inconsistent between stores and even between SAs within the same store, so i would take it with a pinch of salt. the receipt is just a total waste of time and does not help with anything, least of all authenticity!! and totally agree re cleaning. i rather do it myself than wait for 6 months or more.. only problem is with repairs such as restitching etc..i will still like H to fix these!

I purchased a Kelly and Picotin within the last month. My SA, who knows me well, pulled me aside and whipered " you shold know that Hermes is no longer going to service/Spa bags". She said "Please don't tell anyone I told you". I thought it was 1.)A bizarre exchange 2.)Inconceivable that Hermes would cease a service that affords theirs bag greater value. There was no discussion about saving receipts, just a "heads up" about spa service.

If the goal is to keep resale bags from having value, which is just conjecture, I think this would be short sighted on the part of Hermes. Resale often allows an entre into the Hermes market for those who can afford, for example, a $6k Kelly, but not yet a $9k Kelly. I would bet that almost all of those who enter the Hermes world through resellers, end up at some time purchasing from the H boutiques.

Finally, I agree with some of the other posters. There are plenty of fine, capable cobbler/handbag repair shops where bags can be "spa'd", assuming they would not be eligible for the Hermes spa.

I guess we will see how this plays out...