Reasons to buy a bottega veneta

Your request for opinions here in this thread has nothing to do with the title of the thread, that being "Reasons to buy a Bottega Veneta". Please create your own thread for that.

And when you do, please point us to where you've seen "constant price increases" for Bottega Veneta. Always willing to learn, that's me.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. Since I know everyone really likes the brand in this thread I just wanted to know what characteristics people believe have the greatest value that wouldn't deter them from purchasing even if the price goes up. My post was probably not clear on that.

Regarding "constant price increases", perhaps I misunderstood. I found a thread somewhere in the forum where members were concerned that BV had two or three $100 or $150 price increases within a season or two on certain bags (if I recall correctly, I can search again for that thread). As I'm not well-versed in the brand's price increases and was searching for more info, I took it to mean that this was something done regularly. Based on the detailed reply that a member gave a few posts ago, it seems that the rate of the price increases isn't as frequent as I'd assumed based on the impressions I'd read before.

Again, I apologize if my message came off as rude. I wasn't trying to attack the brand.

I haven't seen the ad. Wondering if this is it, which was posted to the BV FB page on the same date.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1407445678.787321.jpg

In todays NYT style section, the last page BV had a full page ad featuring the "knot"

That ad said it all for me & is more than enough reason to continue to buy BV

"When your own initials are enough", what a mantra

For so many it seems that everyone is caught up in having the bag of the season
or the bag of the moment. Especially the bags that everyone knows how much they
cost. Its not about show & tell or how long you have to wait for it its about the person carrying the bag.

BV for me is understated & timeless elegance. It allows the person who is carrying
the bag to stand out & be noticed for who she is not the other way around.

While other designers do offer beautful bags, there is still that "something"
that BV offers that no other design house does IMHO & that is why I love their
bags & the knots.

Wasn't much of a brand chaser few years back. Basically the only brands I know are Gucci and Louis Vuitton, but knowing myself, I will not get something that is so commonly used in Singapore.

My friend, being a brand chaser, asked me to look at Bottega Veneta, it was just love at first sight. The weaving pattern... everything I wanted on a wallet and with a pretty nice design!

I got a wallet not long after the realization of this brand, and with the superb quality. Makes this one of my favourite brand!

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. Since I know everyone really likes the brand in this thread I just wanted to know what characteristics people believe have the greatest value that wouldn't deter them from purchasing even if the price goes up. My post was probably not clear on that.

Regarding "constant price increases", perhaps I misunderstood. I found a thread somewhere in the forum where members were concerned that BV had two or three $100 or $150 price increases within a season or two on certain bags (if I recall correctly, I can search again for that thread). As I'm not well-versed in the brand's price increases and was searching for more info, I took it to mean that this was something done regularly. Based on the detailed reply that a member gave a few posts ago, it seems that the rate of the price increases isn't as frequent as I'd assumed based on the impressions I'd read before.

Again, I apologize if my message came off as rude. I wasn't trying to attack the brand.

Hush now. You're not rude at all.

I'm willing to pay even with a price increase if the quality remains. I understand that labor and materials costs go up. BV also does color really well so I'll pay more for that.

I know of two price increases in three years on the large Veneta. In my limited experience there's generally just one increase when all bags go up in cost. I don't think BV raise prices one quarter on Knots, and then a quarter later increases the price of Cabat.

All that said, BV is still really expensive and if I think about it, almost ridiculously so. But in then end, I've found it's always worth it. It's simple, well made and beautiful. What else would you want?!

Hush now. You're not rude at all.

I'm willing to pay even with a price increase if the quality remains. I understand that labor and materials costs go up. BV also does color really well so I'll pay more for that.

I know of two price increases in three years on the large Veneta. In my limited experience there's generally just one increase when all bags go up in cost. I don't think BV raise prices one quarter on Knots, and then a quarter later increases the price of Cabat.

All that said, BV is still really expensive and if I think about it, almost ridiculously so. But in then end, I've found it's always worth it. It's simple, well made and beautiful. What else would you want?!

Thank you for the reply. ❤ Your last paragraph was a pretty stellar summary.

I don't resell bags and I end up agonizing a lot when it comes to purchasing.

I like BVs metallics and the colors do seem very rich (though I've only seen pictures).

Thinking about what you've said, it does make more sense to pay $$$ for something that is timeless and well-crafted.

Hanakimi,
I must get adequate value for the money I spend since I keep buying BV. I have sometimes felt that price increases in the luxury marketplace make merchandise more costly than their value to me. I know I have hit that spot when I stop buying those goods due to that price increase. With BV, the qualities I value are their understated design (including the absence of logos), the quality of the workmanship, and the colors used. Like I said above, if the time comes where I no longer see the value, I will no longer be willing to buy the brand.

Like I said above, if the time comes where I no longer see the value, I will no longer be willing to buy the brand.

Thank you for the reply!

I didn't realize the colors were so impactful to so many people! I'm guessing the colors (and at the same token, the workmanship) are something you better appreciate once you have it in your hands.

A purse-loving friend of mine says she thinks BV bags are lovely but expensive for what they are (possibly too simplistic for the $$$ in her eyes). After reading more comments it seems that many BVettes on the board find significant value in that same simplicity.

A purse-loving friend of mine says she thinks BV bags are lovely but expensive for what they are (possibly too simplistic for the $$$ in her eyes). After reading more comments it seems that many BVettes on the board find significant value in that same simplicity.

Most people I live near don't know BV. In fact my friends refer to it as that woven hippy leather. Which cracks me up!

But, and going back to the original intent of the thread, understated, well made, simplicity and elegance, and fabulous use of color are reasons that I buy BV.

Caroline Issa in The Telegraph august 11 2014

"....Maier’s vision to create an iconic leather weave that one can instantly identify as a Bottega Veneta bag from a mile away, without any logos, printing or signature colour. How’s that for powerful branding?"

...." an accomplishment of all that Bottega Veneta the brand is about – understated, sophisticated and deliberate. Knot bad at all."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/womens-style/42207/bottega-veneta-knot-the-usual.html

Comments well reflected in this thread.

The woven leather was around before Maier, yes?
I'm quite certain it has been around for some time. I remember being in my early twenties and I bought a purse at Holt Renfrew (1990?) in the most gorgeous taupe colour. It was the store's own label but it was an intrecciato style and I remember when I bought it how it looked like BV. I thought it was so rich looking :lol: I think it was one of the first things I ever bought with my Holt Renfrew credit card. It was something like $285 which was A LOT of money for a purse, especially for a girl just starting out in her career.
I knew what Bottega was back then but designer purses weren't really the thing in the early 90s were they?

The woven leather was around before Maier, yes?
I first saw BV in 1980. It was a large red clutch in the iconic woven leather. I saw the bag carried in a movie and fell in love with it. I did not know the brand name at the time. I have no idea of the prices then but shortly after that I saw a nice boutique of BV bags in a NM store.