Reasons for returns - does it matter?

Sep 18, 2007
Over the past 2-3 years I've had to do more than a few returns on FOS items, mostly to retail stores since I don't live near an outlet and I've been starting to wonder if I should be concerned about the reason they put down in their system when I do one. For me, damaged or defective are the main reasons for my returns and with shoes its often a size issue. Granted some of this is subjective, but it seems whenever I do a return at the retail store, whether I ordered it through Coach or FOS, they mark it down as "customer changed their mind". This places the onus on me and I feel like they consider my return a frivolous one which IMO it rarely is. I really hate doing returns since its usually following a big disappointment for buying something sight unseen and the unpleasantness at the store.

I'm not sure how separate the retail system is from the FOS system when it comes to returns and I've noticed my returns don't show up on my FOS account, though I'm sure its in there somewhere. Not all of my returns have been FOS items, I also have had to do SAS returns that have been shipped from Jax, but it all adds up to returns at my local stores. And while they don't outright refuse it, there have been SA's who won't even do my purchases let alone returns. I'll add all the Coach SAS returns are actually exchanges for the same item in better condition. But I wonder,should I insist that they put down "my reason" and not "theirs"?

I'm glad you asked this question & I'll be curious as to answers. Although I keep as much as I may return, I do feel like some SAs definitely have an attitude if I return something. I have started to purchase online rather than in store so that I have the option to return by mail so I don't have "return gulit" when walking into the store. Also, I'm not sure if there is a commission schedule with SAs or not but I assume they do & when I return in-store, I feel like I'm taking my money back right out of their hand. My reasons for return have varied & I notate the reason on the return, but honestly, most of my purchases are pretty pricey (i.e. full priced bags) & for that kind of money, I like to put my things in, carry it (around the house) to make sure its a keeper. Its very possible the guilt I have is all in my head but I have heard stories that folks are "flagged" for frequently returning.
Anyway, just sharing my thoughts. Hope it helps, if even just to keep the thread alive.

Over the past 2-3 years I've had to do more than a few returns on FOS items, mostly to retail stores since I don't live near an outlet and I've been starting to wonder if I should be concerned about the reason they put down in their system when I do one. For me, damaged or defective are the main reasons for my returns and with shoes its often a size issue. Granted some of this is subjective, but it seems whenever I do a return at the retail store, whether I ordered it through Coach or FOS, they mark it down as "customer changed their mind". This places the onus on me and I feel like they consider my return a frivolous one which IMO it rarely is. I really hate doing returns since its usually following a big disappointment for buying something sight unseen and the unpleasantness at the store.

I'm not sure how separate the retail system is from the FOS system when it comes to returns and I've noticed my returns don't show up on my FOS account, though I'm sure its in there somewhere. Not all of my returns have been FOS items, I also have had to do SAS returns that have been shipped from Jax, but it all adds up to returns at my local stores. And while they don't outright refuse it, there have been SA's who won't even do my purchases let alone returns. I'll add all the Coach SAS returns are actually exchanges for the same item in better condition. But I wonder,should I insist that they put down "my reason" and not "theirs"?
This annoys me too! They always put "changed mind," even though I've made it clear I'm returning due to damage.

ETA: the last return I did, they put the correct reason.

I've had the same experience, to the point where I say "Don't put "changed mind" as the reason" if it was returned for some other reason. Coach has and will ban for excessive returns, although I haven't heard of one here for a while. A couple of years ago they seemed to be cracking down hard on excessive returns and sending out the ban letter.

I worked cosmetic retail many years ago as a manager. During training by corporate I was told to put 'customer changed mind' as the reason for return as much as possible. I was told to encourage all of my employees to do the same and to 'clean it up' so we could put the product back on the shelves to be sold again even if it had been used. If we put in 'item damaged', 'allergic reaction', 'wrong color', etc the computer would automatically damage it out so it could not be resold and cut into our sales.

I found this policy very disgusting and did not stay at the company long because of it. Who wants to run the risk of buying 'prestige' brand foundation, lip gloss, etc that was previously used on someone else?!

I'm guessing maybe if a coach SA puts 'item damaged' rather than 'changed mind' that it hurts the store more?

Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't been banned yet. When it comes to FOS I have returned quite a bit. Took me 3 times to get a violet dakotah that wasn't all scratched up. I will also sometimes impulse buy because of the urgency created by the FOS sales and the fact that they often start at 5:30am, I'm usually so tired it's equivalent to shopping drunk! Lol Once I receive my FOS items I have thought it through more and realize I don't really need it, or its in poor shape even though I love it and it gets returned. I would say I return 50% of FOS purchases, and only about 10% of boutique purchases.

I worked cosmetic retail many years ago as a manager. During training by corporate I was told to put 'customer changed mind' as the reason for return as much as possible. I was told to encourage all of my employees to do the same and to 'clean it up' so we could put the product back on the shelves to be sold again even if it had been used. If we put in 'item damaged', 'allergic reaction', 'wrong color', etc the computer would automatically damage it out so it could not be resold and cut into our sales.

I found this policy very disgusting and did not stay at the company long because of it. Who wants to run the risk of buying 'prestige' brand foundation, lip gloss, etc that was previously used on someone else?!

I'm guessing maybe if a coach SA puts 'item damaged' rather than 'changed mind' that it hurts the store more?

Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't been banned yet. When it comes to FOS I have returned quite a bit. Took me 3 times to get a violet dakotah that wasn't all scratched up. I will also sometimes impulse buy because of the urgency created by the FOS sales and the fact that they often start at 5:30am, I'm usually so tired it's equivalent to shopping drunk! Lol Once I receive my FOS items I have thought it through more and realize I don't really need it, or its in poor shape even though I love it and it gets returned. I would say I return 50% of FOS purchases, and only about 10% of boutique purchases.

Eww, I thought it was illegal to sell used cosmetics? Gross. :throwup:

Eww, I thought it was illegal to sell used cosmetics? Gross. :throwup:

Yup, it is illegal. Check everything for broken safety seals or if pumps are already primed and full of product no matter where you buy! I would also catch customers opening packaging and trying stuff out even though the tester was right in front of their face! 9/10 times their reason for doing so was because they didn't trust the tester. Well thanks lady! Now I have to damage out a $65 bottle of foundation!

Ugh, retail nightmares.

If I return an item because of quality issues and I re-order the exact same item - how do they justify it as "customer changed mind"? I just don't understand why Coach has to spoil customer in-store experiences by trivializing the very people who support them. I guess its the corporate culture. The turnaround of SAs at my store is bewildering. And those depressing black uniforms, like crows at a funeral. I returned a pair of shoes because of a poor fit ("customer changed mind" of course) and an SA wanted to buy it because it was a perfect fit for her but said she wouldn't be allowed to wear it on the sales floor since its not part of the allowed set.

These days I think Coach spends way too much time and energy on "image creation" while leaving "genuine" customer service in the dust. Lying about "customer changed mind"? Who do they think they're fooling in the long run? Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a rant. I just wasn't sure if I should insist on honest categorizing during a return, but why make waves right?
:borg1: (resistance is futile)

I would love to know how many returns they receive because the item didn't sell on eBay.

LOL! I think a few of the CoachXPeanuts items I was able to get during the PCE was due to those eBay returns. I'm not interested at double the retail price on an auction site, but 30% off? Yes, please.

I dislike the "changed mind" default too. It makes it the customer's "error" rather than Coach's and does nothing to offer true feedback on product issues.

The majority of my returns have been for color issues, the most annoying one being a purchase of red collars and leashes for my dogs. Both had the same color codes and were purchased at the same time. You think those would match, right? No. The collars were a true red-red and the leashes were a super hot orange-y red. :throwup: