Reasonable price for a Box Leather 32

makeitorange

Jan 23, 2024
I would love to add box leather to my collection. I’ve recently found one from what I believe to a reputable reseller.
It is from the 90’s and appears to be in excellent condition.

I don’t know if this is something that can be answered on here, but is £9000 a reasonable amount to pay for a vintage box leather Kelly 32 with gold hardware? Strap included.

I would love to add box leather to my collection. I’ve recently found one from what I believe to a reputable reseller.

I don’t know if this is something that can be answered on here, but is £9000 a reasonable amount to pay for a vintage box leather Kelly 32 with gold hardware? Strap included.
Think you should continue looking further, you don't mention the color but think the price is on the high side
& suggest making sure that the images are clear & that this bag has not had any repairs done without
fully being disclosed, JMO

I love 90s box! I think it sounds like it’s within the range but perhaps at the upper end, so you’d really want to be making no compromises on condition. I feel like 32s from this period are more commonly seen in the vintage market than 28s, so if you want to keep looking I’m sure other examples will appear.
Me, too - the best box ever in my opinion. My 90s box bags (K sellier) are simply outstanding even compared to new my 2023 or „newer“ early 2000 bags.

IMO, no. While bigger bags are finally moving back into the spotlight, this price is more in line with a ten year younger 28. Unless this is a combination leather, color, hardware, condition, that you must have, I would keep looking. Of course, that is assuming you have access to resellers without huge customs and Tax add ons. In today’s market, GHW has been popular in smaller sizes. But IMO only, at resale, phw would command a higher price (like this). There are simply fewer of them than ghw

I do agree with @Goldenbelle , @Veritybelle and others, that the bags from the 1990s are deemed to be the most finely made, but it’s now 2024, and even if these are heritage bags in great condition, I believe the resale prices are coming down. I also feel that there is a different aesthetic to the 90s bags… but, I think you have to look at a lot in order to decide what you like. I don’t think a reseller would market an older bag, even from that decade, as necessarily being superior. JMO

Last edited:
I think this is on the high end of price, but not outrageous if the bag is in truly excellent shape as @Goldenbelle says. I'd be more comfortable in the range of $8-9K USD. You can of course find bags for less, but the strap is often missing, as vintage bags did not automatically come with a strap. If you need a strap, you're looking at a wait and another $1K+, and possibly being without the bag if H needs to match a color.

Color is also a big deal as we all know there's a lot of black Box GHW out there. Rouge H for instance seems to command good prices when in excellent condition.

I have noticed that vintage Box prices have risen as Box has come back into the boutiques, where of course it is very expensive. I think resellers are factoring this in - that a new Box Kelly sellier is now $15-19K USD - and they do not understand that Box remains a specific if not niche taste and that reseller is not the same as boutique. Size 32 is also an odd spot - the prices on 35s are low, on 25 very high, on 28 still quite high - but 32 runs the gamut.

Thank you so much for all your responses. Some really interesting responses that has made me rethink my options.
I hadn’t really considered a size 32 previously. I think I may jumped at this bag due to condition of it.
However, I completely forgot about Hermes pricing on the resale market and size- and agree that this could be a little on the high side for a price ask.

So I’m going to wait for the dream size that I originally asked for 🥰 A black box Kelly in gold hardware in my perfect size- a 28!

As with all thing
Thank you so much for all your responses. Some really interesting responses that has made me rethink my options.
I hadn’t really considered a size 32 previously. I think I may jumped at this bag due to condition of it.
However, I completely forgot about Hermes pricing on the resale market and size- and agree that this could be a little on the high side for a price ask.

So I’m going to wait for the dream size that I originally asked for 🥰 A black box Kelly in gold hardware in my perfect size- a 28!

This does suggest that you still need to do your own research to get a feel for what the going rate might be. In the end an item is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.
If you find a bag that matches the specifications you have in mind; that is excellent condition; that cannot foresee will need further expediture, you might be prepared to pay considerably over the 'market price'.
Similarly if you find what seems to be a bargain, yet will need a handle replacement costing 1000+,
you will negotiate accordingly.
But whether either are a 'good price' will depend on what you think, informed by your knowledge of the market.
Getting reassurance from a site like this will be helpful, but it should not be your primary decision tool.

As with all thing

This does suggest that you still need to do your own research to get a feel for what the going rate might be. In the end an item is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.
If you find a bag that matches the specifications you have in mind; that is excellent condition; that cannot foresee will need further expediture, you might be prepared to pay considerably over the 'market price'.
Similarly if you find what seems to be a bargain, yet will need a handle replacement costing 1000+,
you will negotiate accordingly.
But whether either are a 'good price' will depend on what you think, informed by your knowledge of the market.
Getting reassurance from a site like this will be helpful, but it should not be your primary decision tool.
This is a very good point.

I’m using all comments as an additional tool before making any decision. All of these comments have prompted me to do my own further research on points that I hadn’t considered before.

I hadn’t considered that particular decades had more desirable leathers. So that was a very interesting comment from @Goldenbelle @Veritybelle and @880
I have added the 90’s (which I’m slightly offended that era is deemed vintage 😂😂😂) to my search 🥰

Me, too - the best box ever in my opinion. My 90s box bags (K sellier) are simply outstanding even compared to new my 2023 or „newer“ early 2000 bags.

Of all my vintage bags Box from the 70s and 90s are the best for Sellier and structured bags, but I don't know whether it's widely known enough to affect the price. However, I'd say it may be preferable to have a more suppleness for a Retourne.