Really expensive handbags just not for me?

Having just bought my very first designer bag (Chloe Paddy, Muscade) I do know what you mean.

I have decided not to use it, sometimes, when I am at work. As a medical rep, I have to visit hospital wards to see nurses, doctors etc, and they already think reps earn too much/drive too nice cars! But, more than that, I would feel a bit vacuous toting a £800 bag, whilst patients in the Intensive Care Units are attached to machines that the hospital has had to buy from their charitable support funds. That is a whole other topic - the scandal of the great British NHS system the world envies... :Push:

If I see a 'normal' run of the mill bag that I like I would buy it. The problem I find is that I dont like buying imitation leather and real leather bags are more pricey. Plus I like more unique designs that lower priced bags dont seem to have.
My sis inlaw thinks Im a snob just because my bags happen to be a lil' on the expensive side, but Im not blinded by designer bags and I wont ever go over £200 ($400) on any bag.

This is a pretty personal topic- lots of points of view represented !! For myself, as long as I can afford it (without causing hardship on our household finances, obviously) aand I like it, I don't care what anyone else thinks about my bags and shoes. Likewise, I don't feel guilty because I can afford something more expensive than someone else- I'm thankful that I have the means to buy things I enjoy.

I've felt this way many times, don't worry! For me it's not so much that I'm perceived differently with an expensive bag (most of the people who live around me wouldn't notice), but that I feel nervous carrying such a big chunk of my income around on my arm. I'm still a (grad) student though, so a bag really IS a big investment for me. I've bought and sold or returned so many bags since joining TPF just because I can't stomach owning them when there are so many other bills to pay. Sometimes I just flat out couldn't afford them. Now I only own one high-end bag which I use as a briefcase for conferences and interviews exclusively. I have a few Coach bags too for every day. I'm saving for a LV right now, but I'm planning on saving very slowly and only plan to buy the LV when I really feel like I can afford it.

just noticed your signature. . . now I'm confused{?}
Are thses not considered expensive bags?
Or are you talking Hermes prices?
I figured you meant more than $1k on a bag or something. . . .

Oh, no, I'm not talking about Hermes prices. I mean even in the hundreds. I definitely mean that I would like to have them and that I admire them. It's more like a "lust" list- bags that I love. But it is more than I could pay, especially right now. And sometimes I feel like I really want them, and other times, I feel like I just don't want to spend that on a bag! I don't feel right about it sometimes. My most expensive bag is $600, and it took me a while to buy that, and now that I have it, I'm really not that excited about it anymore- I'm kind of over it. It's not what I thought it would be. And sometimes I feel a little funny carrying something like that around. Maybe it's just what I'm used to.

I've felt this way many times, don't worry! For me it's not so much that I'm perceived differently with an expensive bag (most of the people who live around me wouldn't notice), but that I feel nervous carrying such a big chunk of my income around on my arm. I'm still a (grad) student though, so a bag really IS a big investment for me. I've bought and sold or returned so many bags since joining TPF just because I can't stomach owning them when there are so many other bills to pay. Sometimes I just flat out couldn't afford them. Now I only own one high-end bag which I use as a briefcase for conferences and interviews exclusively. I have a few Coach bags too for every day. I'm saving for a LV right now, but I'm planning on saving very slowly and only plan to buy the LV when I really feel like I can afford it.

That really sums up how I feel sometimes. Good point!

A really expensive bag for me would be $750 and over. I revised that from $500. I change out so very often that I wouldn't be able to afford many $500 to $750 bags. I just know that I can find what I like for under those amounts.......now if my husband would like to purchase a Balenciaga for me for Christmas......well, that would be an entirely different story. :nuts:

Oh, I would never turn down a gift. That would certainly justify it if someone else wanted me to have it! :graucho:

Thank you for all your input, everyone! Now I don't feel so weird! It is somewhat difficult to explain- like somedays I see things that I am so determined to get, and then a day later, I think, I shouldn't get it, or I don't need it.

Once you buy one and carry it around, you'll get used to it quickly. It's hard to turn back. Same thing with flying first class I say. No big deal as long as you don't know what you're missing but once you've tried it everything pales. I realize that prices are ridiculous but you will be happy with putting forth the investment. I rather have one nice high quality bag at an "expensive" amount than lots of bags at lesser quality. Quantity vs. quality though it appears there is not much difference to tpf-ers as they have both! It is really odd but you appreciate it a lot more when you spend the money too. If you cannot afford it, you shouldn't feel that you need to overextend yourself either but...I do say...you only live once!

I feel similarly. Sure I can save up and buy a $500-$1000 bag, but then I feel guilty that the money can go somewhere a little more important like grad school bills, saving up for a house or new car etc. I have a hard time splurging on big items for myself, but if I were to add up all of the little purchases I treat myself to, I probably could buy several $500+ bags. I consider a $500 + bag expensive by the way.

I might look at the really expensive bags but do not covet them. Admiring something is not the same as wishing you owned it.

My husband can appreciate a fine motor car but still not want the price tag, upkeep, nor high insurance bill to actually have it.

I buy what I can afford and hunt the sales like a banshee on fire. It works for me.