'Real World': 21 Seasons' MVPs

When MTV had the awards for all the RW I could believe Austin got best cast. The old ones were so much better! I guess I'm just getting old b/c they are just annoying now.

I missed the awards show and it's not showing up again for my DVR to record. :sad: It's so funny how nostalgic that show makes me. I really wish more of the old school people would go to the reunion things. I said before that I thought they were all so old when I used to watch it -- I also think it's funny that I thought that my life would be just like a Real Worlder's when I was in college. :sweatdrop:

Here's ABC News's take on it:

'The Real World's' Top 20

Welcome to Hollywood -- "Real World: Hollywood," that is. The season, which premiered in April, is the 20th for the veteran MTV reality series. Take a look at some of the most memorable characters the show has produced since it debuted in 1992.

Heather Gardner was one of the first to become a Real World alum. She appeared on MTV's very first season of the show, which took place in New York City. Gardner was also one of the very few friendly characters on the show; she's probably most remembered for wanting to make it big as a rap star. She ended up launching a music career after the show was over.

Also a part of the first season of "The Real World" was Eric Nies, who first gained fame by gracing the scenes of this popular and tight-budgeted soap opera. After the season was over, Nies continued with MTV by hosting "The Grind, " which had audience members dancing to popular songs. Nies was often shirtless when he hosted these shows. That became his trademark and kept people tuned in.

Jon Brennan's strong personality was certainly not hidden from his housemates for the L.A. season. Brennan was most remembered for his arguments on abortion, and he wasted no time in letting people know that pro-life was the right answer, end of story. He argued with both Tami Roman, who decided on having an abortion, and Aaron Bailey's girlfriend, who believed in a woman's right to choose.

David Rainey, who went by the name "Puck" on "The Real World," had a lot of crazy moments in San Francisco. However, what grabbed attention was his intolerance of gays; he made fun of Pedro Zamora, an AIDS educator. The housemates soon had enough of Puck and threw him out, but he continued to get underneath their skins by making prank phone calls to the house.

Attachments

• The Real World - Hollywood.jpg
    The Real World - Hollywood.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,390
  • Heather Gardner.jpg
    Heather Gardner.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,395
  • Eric Nies II.jpg
    Eric Nies II.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,734
  • Jon Brennan II.jpg
    Jon Brennan II.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,917
  • David Rainey.jpg
    David Rainey.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 4,094
Pedro Zamora was most remembered for his brave fight against AIDS since he came onto the show as an AIDS educator who was HIV positive. He was tormented by the cruel remarks of fellow housemate Puck. Unfortunately, Zamora's fight crumbled; he died from the disease the day after the final episode aired.

An aspiring actress, Jacinda Barrett first made her name known by appearing on the "The Real World" in London. Not a bad deal, considering that after the show was over, Barrett appeared in films such as "Ladder 49," "The Human Stain" and "Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason."

Genesis Moss was the proud lesbian in the Boston cast. She spent most of her time partying in gay clubs and had a drag queen best friend named Adam. An emotional moment for Genesis came when she was helping out in a daycare center and overheard one little girl expressing a dislike for homosexuals. Genesis began to cry, and when housemate Kameelah started explaining to the child how this was a wrong way to think, a daycare staffer put an end to it. It was, the staffer said, an inappropriate discussion to have with a child.

Stephen Williams will probably be remembered for creating one of the most dramatic episodes of Real World history in Seattle. As housemate Irene McGee was moving out, Williams stopped her car, opened her door and quickly slapped her. After the show, he was ordered to attend anger management classes, which he completed successfully.

Irene McGee must have thought she was signing up for some drama when she came to Seattle for "The Real World." But she probably didn't think she would be physically assaulted. After getting into a fight with housemate Stephen Williams, Williams opened up her car door and slapped her across the face. Ouch.

Attachments

• Irene McGee II.jpg
    Irene McGee II.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,773
  • Stephen Williams.jpg
    Stephen Williams.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,163
  • Genesis Moss.jpg
    Genesis Moss.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,807
  • Jacinda Barrett II.jpg
    Jacinda Barrett II.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,426
  • Pedro Zamora II.jpg
    Pedro Zamora II.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2,186
Ruthie Alcaide was the Hawaii season's house drunk, never seeming to know or care about her alcohol limits. On the very first episode she drank way too much and lost all consciousness, forcing her housemates to call the paramedics.

Julie Stoffer was the Mormon student constantly in fear that being on a show, in which she lived with both men and women, would get her thrown out of her college. She was the good girl in the house, but even nice girls finish last. When the show was over, so was Julie's career at Brigham Young University. However, Julie chose not to appeal the college's decision and went hunting for a new school, putting the past behind her.

Known as the overly sexual, and usually drunk, party girl, Trishelle Cannatella was a Real World Las Vegas cast member whom many can't seem to forget. On the very first night of the show, she took part in a three-way make-out session with another female housemate, Brynn Smith, and their male housemate Steven Hill in a hot tub. She became extremely intimate with Hill, leading to a pregnancy scare on the show.

A girl can have many problems in life, and Paula Meronek from "The Real World" in Key West displayed many of them for the public to see. During the season she displayed a strong lack of confidence and serious image issues. These problems, not surprisingly, lead to abusive relationships with boyfriends.

Dropping out of college to be on the tenth season of "The Real World" in New York, Mike Mizanin was determined to get something out of the experience, and that he did. The fame of being on television launched Mizanin into a professional wrestling career. He currently works for World Wrestling Entertainment or (WWE) with the ring name "The Miz."

Attachments

• Mike Mizanin.jpg
    Mike Mizanin.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 20,498
  • Paula Meronek.jpg
    Paula Meronek.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,452
  • Trishelle Cannatella II.jpg
    Trishelle Cannatella II.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 3,209
  • Julie Stoffer.jpg
    Julie Stoffer.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 3,036
  • Ruthie Alcaide II.jpg
    Ruthie Alcaide II.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 14,146
Coral Smith first joined the Real World gang in 2001, when she joined the cast of New York II, the first season to be set in the Big Apple since 1992. After another cast member made racist comments, Smith taught the housemates about African-American culture, including the life of Malcolm X.

In 2007, Shauvon Torres went down under in "Real World: Australia." The California native had broken up with her boyfriend before filming began -- he told her she had to choose between domestic life and a career. On the show, she said she wanted to be a news reporter and she even had her own sex column. But she really made headlines when she moved out during the middle of the season.

Frankie Abernathy was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at the age of three and lost that battle at age 25, two years after she appeared as the spunky castmate on "Real World: San Diego" in 2005. Abernathy was credited with raising awareness for the disease on the show.

Wes Bergmann, a frat boy from Arizona State University, was described by MTV as "the guy you love to hate" when he appeared on the sixteenth season in Austin. After the show aired, he began dating castmate Johanna Botta and they appeared together on two Real World/Road Rules Challenges.

During "Real World: Paris," which aired in 2003. C.T. Tamburello was a source of tension in the house, routinely getting into fights with other housemates. C.T. (real name: Chris) went on to participate in five of the spin-off series.

Attachments

• Coral Smith.jpg
    Coral Smith.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 12,332
  • Shauvon Torres.jpg
    Shauvon Torres.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 3,129
  • Frankie Abernathy.jpg
    Frankie Abernathy.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 3,888
  • Wes Bergmann II.jpg
    Wes Bergmann II.jpg