Real or Not? Tiffany Lovers... A little help, please?

The inside of each of the beads is also hallmarked (as pictured below).

I couldn't get a photo of it, but there is a stamp that reads "925" on the side of the clasp near the opening, also.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1398711575.566611.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1398711594.645469.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1398711614.584505.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1398711626.555503.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1398810940.064310.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the photo... I have no idea how the ladies here take such amazing modeling shots with their phone!

And I love this necklace, too... Except that it's fake. Tiffany & Co. at Boca Town Center refused to service it this morning, and then my local jeweler confirmed that it is rhodium-played with a simple metal test.

The eBay seller who sold it to me is grudgingly accepting it back for a refund... but not without a million complaints and accusations. I would keep it... but it's not worth $164 if it's a fake.

And I love this necklace, too... Except that it's fake. Tiffany & Co. at Boca Town Center refused to service it this morning, and then my local jeweler confirmed that it is rhodium-played with a simple metal test.

The eBay seller who sold it to me is grudgingly accepting it back for a refund... but not without a million complaints and accusations. I would keep it... but it's not worth $164 if it's a fake.

Man, that is sad! It is a very convincing fake... glad they are refunding you.

It really is a convincing fake, miraZ! There were moments when I questioned whether or not it was real and I could be wrong, which is why I ended up driving 45 minutes out to Boca Raton just to be embarrassed in front of the Tiffany & Co. staff and services department... I should have gone to my local jeweler to have it metal-tested first, but I didn't think about it...

There were tiny things "off" about it, like the continuity of the engraving and the fact that the Tiffany & Co. on the tag near the clasp was just a little higher at the &Co. end. Also, every bead was hallmarked, and the hallmarks varied in depth. The clasp was a little flat on one side and looked a bit "wrinkled" where it attached to the loop, which was my first giveaway.

Some people say that Tiffany & Co. clasps won't attract to a magnet. Others I've spoken with say that it will. This one stuck to a magnet, if it makes any difference.

The biggest red flag was how many the seller has sold... and keeps listing. And the fact that they claimed to have provided documentation to eBay proving that all of their items are genuine, but that they refused to provide the same proof to me. They also threatened to leave negative feedback (I reminded them that sellers can leave only positive feedback) so they started offering me discounts on the fake necklace. It was really off-putting. I don't think that I would do business with this person again, even if they were offering genuine items.

Oh no!! That is sad, I was excited to see that you'd managed to find one. Ugh, why must the world annoy us with fakes, such a time waster. Poor thing taking it into Tiffany too, I would have been mortified. But at least you got an answer I guess and yes, definately send it back, you wont be happy.

BUMMER! Sorry you had to be embarrassed like that :sad: I'm already intimidated when I go in with my real stuff because all I can afford is silver, I feel like they make note of that mentally lol

Oh, trust me... I will be leaving negative feedback as soon as I have my refund!! :mad: I was on the phone with eBay and PayPal this morning, making certain that they document all of the messages between myself and this seller and listen to my concerns.

The seller has given me nothing but trouble since the moment I received the item and mentioned to him my concerns about the inconsistencies in the engraving. He has also done nothing but lie to me! He gave me stories about how his sister works at Tiffany & Co. in New York, and this is how he obtains pieces (LIE! The employee discount is NOT good enough to purchase items and sell them at a discount on eBay). He told me that he didn't have to prove authenticity to me, because he already proved it to eBay so that he could sell these items on eBay (Another LIE! I sell authentic designer items on eBay all the time, and I have never once been asked to prove authenticity to eBay, or my buyers, because my items are AUTHENTIC!).

Since I stated that I wanted a refund, this seller has been threatening to not give me a full refund because "the item's value is depreciated now that you touched it". He has also threatened to leave negative feedback (He can't, I'm the buyer) unless I leave him five-star feedback. He has also been saying things such as "I won't be pleased if it is returned looking less than new" and "I'm sure you've scratched the silver".

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm just shocked that absolutely no one he has sold to has noticed that their item is fake! No one took it to Tiffany & Co. stores, or bothered to check the hallmarks more closely? Am I the only one?!

Just... stay away from jonralph21 on eBay, ladies. He sells fake Tiffany & Co., and I don't want any of you to have to deal with this annoying seller who uses feedback extortion and refuses to provide refunds for fake items!

Reactions: Bee-licious
Wow, that is sad, but good thing you had it checked out. You should leave them negative feedback so other buyers are warned. What a shame.

Negative feedback is definite at this point! In no way has this been a "positive" transaction.

Oh no!! That is sad, I was excited to see that you'd managed to find one. Ugh, why must the world annoy us with fakes, such a time waster. Poor thing taking it into Tiffany too, I would have been mortified. But at least you got an answer I guess and yes, definately send it back, you wont be happy.

No, I definitely wouldn't be happy with the fake, especially after the trouble this seller has been causing, including veiled threats about how "feedback is important to us both" because we're both eBay sellers, and that if I report them to eBay things "could get messy for one of us".

I was very excited to find one, too... I just never thought that it would be a big, fat fake... and I certainly didn't think it would be so much trouble!!

BUMMER! Sorry you had to be embarrassed like that :sad: I'm already intimidated when I go in with my real stuff because all I can afford is silver, I feel like they make note of that mentally lol

Thank you! I'm always intimidated walking in with my silver, too... It feels like they see the silver and their hope for a big sale plummets, almost like the sales staff are saying, "Oh, it's just you..." and going back to whatever they were doing.

I walked in yesterday knowing that I would most likely be embarrassed. I was trying to prove it was a fake, and I was already convinced that it was a fake, so... I kind of expected it when the saleswoman returned with the tray and "that" look on her face. It was still embarrassing, though, and I put the necklace back into my purse and left quickly, without even browsing. (Normally, I would have wandered around for an hour, at least!) I'm fairly sure they talked about me after I left... :lol:

^^^ you aren't the crook. Your seller should be the one to be embarrassed. Ask him for his sisters name & you'll call that tiffany store to verify. Catch him in another lie. lol

I was at a wholesale jewelry show last month in Vegas. The true wholesale where manufactures come to display. I was shocked to see what designs were being ripped off. Cartier, VCA, etc.
I didn't see this style but I did see many other things Tiffany makes. And unfortunately they were excellent fakes:sad:
So be careful.

Last edited:
^^^ you aren't the crook. Your seller should be the one to be embarrassed.

Seconded. And if the Tiffany employees felt anything but sympathy I would be very disappointed in them too. You didn't do anything wrong!! If anything you were doing something RIGHT to have it checked out.

I had a similar experience on eBay once with my perfume. I thought I had found a good deal, seller with 99% positive feedback... but when I received the bottle I noticed the smell was different,and seemed to disintegrate really fast into a cheaper smell. I took a closer look at the bottle, and found a couple pictures on the web of what to look for in a fake, and sure enough it was a fake. And, same as you, I noticed this seller had tons of positive reviews from customers who hadn't realized they'd been had. It is so sad that people find it so easy to be dishonest. Sigh.

It was my first... and trust me, my LAST... time purchasing "Tiffany & Co." on eBay. Or any designer piece, for that matter.

And this, ladies, is exactly why I purchase only from a Tiffany & Co. store, or the official Tiffany & Co. website... I only made the exception because the MOM necklace is retired and unavailable through Tiffany & Co..

And now I have to hunt down another - GENUINE - one.