RE-GIFTING... rude?

My Purse Addiction^^^ wow. good job for being so honest with them.

Yes there certainly sems to be certain "gifts" no one REALLY wants... or needs should I say...
Soaps / bath sets
Candles
Pictures frames
These sorts of gifts are so common...... it's hard to make them personalised unless you know the person really loves that sort of thing.

I don't like regifting. I find it to be offensive and rude. One time a couple years ago, I put so much thought into this one gift I got my friend, I thought she would love it. I finally gave it to her, then I find out the next day from a mutual friend of our's that she gave it to someone else/regifted it. I was so hurt because after all the thought I put into it, and the way she "appreciated" it was to give it to someone else. I wouldn't want to make someone feel that way.
Usually, though, all the gifts I receive, I like and use. I am a pretty easy person to get gifts for, so friends and family always get me something that they know I want. But there are times when I do receive gifts that I won't use, and after a couple months or so, I end up donating those items to a charity or a place like Goodwill. But I would never take a gift given to me and wrap it back up and give it someone else.

I think it depends on the item.

I think in general if you think about what the person would like first, and then in the process of finding that perfect gift, happen to remember that you already have the perfect gift in the back of your closet, new, unused, perfect condition, then it is fine to re-gift.

It is tacky to re-gift just to get rid of something.

Oh goodness no! If I received a gift I would not use I might give it away to a friend and explain I received it as a gift but did not have use for it, but I would NEVER re-wrap it and pretend I was being thoughtful in giving the gift. It just seems SO wrong to me.:yucky:

Smootho - that is how I feel - it seems dishonest.

Back to my original post - this woman at work - she regifts EVERYTHING. What can I buy her for christmas that she possibly won't give away!!!!???? Nothing... pretty much anything I give she can pass on. SO annoying...
There is only one thing I havr given her that I know she never gave away - and I know this because it is a pendant I see on her often....

Hmmm. Excellent replies to this question.

Yes, personally, I find re-gifting rude, of one passes it off as something they say they bought for you, or if it's obviously been used then re-wrapped. If I get something I can't use, but I know someone who can, I'll just give it to them without it being a "gift" perse, such at Christmas or their birthday. I'm usually honest about it too. I'll tell them where I got it.

Re-gifting? Rude? Only if the person to whom you give the gift knows you originally recieved it as a gift, or it's obviously a re-gift because it doesn't suit them at all. I think re-gifting is ok as long as you make sure you do it in different circles of friends, and if the gift really suits someone else more than it'd suit you. I try really hard to like stuff that's given to me but if there's really nothing I can do with it and I think "wow, so-and-so would LOVE this, it would be so useful to them" then I might use it as part of a gift to the other person. I only re-gift something if it really strikes me as being a great gift for someone else, and completely useless to me. If you're not keeping a gift in the first place because it's useless to you, at least re-gift it to someone who won't feel burdened to do the same thing (re-gift it I mean)!

My advice: if you want to keep something for re-gifting, put it safely away with a clear label on it reminding you of who gave you it in the first place. Never re-gift within the same circle of friends, it's just thoughtless.

EDIT: and I aim for my gifts NOT to be re-gift candidates in the first place! I think carefully to come up with an item that's personalized and useful enough (useful- meaning it might not be the biggest, sparkliest gift on the day but at least it won't be gathering dust thereafter!) not be considered by the reciever for re-gifting.

[coco];4573970 said:
Ok... so to all the people that say they WOULD regift... what would you say to the pesrson who originaly gave you the gift is they asked if you had used it yet / worn it yet etc. Would you say you gave it to someone else??

Thank them for it, and say "yes, I have used it/worn it" or something to that effect and trail off - the same answer I would be giving if I had kept the gift, and it would be the same lie because if I was to re-gift something, it would be something that I could unfortunately never use/wear.

Even though I've posted advocating re-gifting in certain circumstances, I've never actually done it! I have a box in which I keep gifts bought for upcoming occasions, and I would consider putting something brand-new and untouched in there if I'd recieved it as a gift which unfortunately I could not use. To be honest if someone gives me something and I know they're proud of it and put a lot of thought into it, I keep it even if I could never use it! I take into account the feelings of the person who gave it to me in the first place, their feelings always come first.

NB. To [coco] - it must be pretty unrewarding to give this woman gifts. Don't bother getting her anything good next time, as she's just looking at them immediately with an eye to recycle them to someone else. She seems to have forgotten that gifts are meant for the person to whom they're given, not just as a symbol (as materialistic as it sounds).

una some good posts.... thank you for your honesty. I once bought myself a set of these beautiful glasses and ended up giving them to a friend who invited me to a house warming at the last minute (not very close to me). Now I know this was in no way regifting - it was something I had only just bought - but I have always felt kinda guilty about not personalising that gift!!! As it is I drink from those very glasses when I go to her home.... but still. Maybe it's just the way I was brought up?

I am doing some chrissy shopping today and do not know what to get this woman. I could put alot of thought into it or none at all and IMO, I am not sure that it would matter......

[coco];4584688 said:
I am doing some chrissy shopping today and do not know what to get this woman. I could put alot of thought into it or none at all and IMO, I am not sure that it would matter......

You could engrave whatever you get her with her name, that way you know she won't be able to regift it haha. Of course, that can get a little expensive, so maybe just her initials. Get something that is "re-gift proof."

IF I regifted, I would just STATE outright and include something a little extra. I think regifting is only to be done with close friends. My note would say, "Hi Carrie, I received this sweater but I think it'd actually be sublime on you! Let's go out to dinner soon so I can see you in it..." and I would include a modest gift-card to a restaurant ($40 or so).

If someone did this for me, I would find nothing wrong with it, assuming they are a good friend. I do the same.

Now THAT is the classy way to re-gift if you absolutely must. :tup::woohoo:

I dont think you are being uncool. Re-gifting could be ok but doing it in fornt of the person that gave it to you is heck of rude, maybe you should give her something she gave you in the past as a Christmas present.