Re-Design of Engagement Ring

Slavisa

Jan 26, 2009
Am wondering if anyone has redesigned their engagement ring?

My husband picked my diamond and had the ring custom made, which I love and wouldn't change the main stone but would love to add a halo. I am picky though and don't like how lots of halos look metally, I want it to look like the diamonds are floating if that makes any sense.

I don't know how to broach this with my husband, will he think I'm ungrateful? I don't want to hurt his feelings. I do love my classic ring but always eye of halos!

I guess I should go and try some halos on first.

This is my ring for reference, a round brilliant 1.1ct D VS1 ex/ex/vg solitaire set in knife edge white gold 6 claws.

This is the only pic on my iPhone sorry!

Attachments

• image-2882484022.png
    image-2882484022.png
    766.7 KB · Views: 1,775
Your ring is gorgeous (and SO white!!). I think halo's are very "in" right now but I'm not sure how long that will last. Right now you have a classic solitaire that will never go out of style. If you really love the halo though, maybe point one out to your husband casually the next time you see a nice one either in person or on tv. "Oooo look at that ring honey. Its interesting how its got the row of tiny diamonds around the bigger one. Its very pretty." Then gauge his response. If he says he doesn't like the style or starts asking if you're disappointed with your ring (and seems hurt) back out of the conversation quickly. Otherwise, go from there. Just my humble opinion of how I would handle it (and how I handled it when I wanted an upgrade). :P Good luck!

Your ring is so gorgeous the way it is with those two bands, tdf!! Maybe a gemstone ring set in a halo instead? I have a gorgeous prasiolite in a halo that I wear with my wedding band when I need a halo fix. Lotsa bling! And with a gemstone, carat weight can go super high hehe.

Think VERY hard on this before you do it. I am of the mind that a halo is a trend, fleeting. And they've gotten extremely popular lately. And since you are very particular about how the halo looks you will have to do extensive research to find the perfect candidate for creating it. The best I've ever seen to date was Victor Canera but he ain't cheap.

I would agree with the etk123 idea, get a gemstone haloed ring, and see how you like that. It might fill that void.

I think your current ering and set are awesome. I wear a 1.15 solitaire with a thin band, and some days I get the shrinkage, others I think a halo would be neat, others a three stone. I just can't get past the fact that it would cost too much, stress me out beyond words, and then cost a lot if I get sick of it.

Thanks for the advice! I asked him his thoughts on it today and he said it would be overkill but if I want to do it I can. I spent all day trying on halos at jewelers and none suited my wedders. I didn't love any so perhaps that's a sign.

I love your setting! I agree with acrowcounted-solitaire is classic. I am coming up to 15 years of marriage and I am going to start working the upgrade angle. Good to know your hubby was pretty receptive:smile:
Good luck and show us pics......when you decide.

Since your band is plain, maybe consider resetting in a three-stone for a milestone to add past and future to your ring? Then you would add less metal, it is classic, and the sentiment would be sweet. I love round with pears or baguettes on either size (not three round)

Am wondering if anyone has redesigned their engagement ring?

My husband picked my diamond and had the ring custom made, which I love and wouldn't change the main stone but would love to add a halo. I am picky though and don't like how lots of halos look metally, I want it to look like the diamonds are floating if that makes any sense.

I don't know how to broach this with my husband, will he think I'm ungrateful? I don't want to hurt his feelings. I do love my classic ring but always eye of halos!

I guess I should go and try some halos on first.

This is my ring for reference, a round brilliant 1.1ct D VS1 ex/ex/vg solitaire set in knife edge white gold 6 claws.

This is the only pic on my iPhone sorry!

I felt exactly the same way you do when my DH gave me my ering. He gave me an oval on a three sided micro pave ring but I always loved halos ever since I first laid eyes on the Harry Winston halo-cushion cut micro pave ring. I was honest with DH about my obsession with wanting a halo and he understood & was not upset at all, he said ultimately he wanted me to be 100% happy with the ring so if a halo would do that for me he was happy to help me get it done to my oval.

To make a long story short I also wanted a halo that showed very little metal & that was dainty. I had the halo added to my ring two seperate times because the first was not what I wanted. The second time I had it done I actually went to a different jeweler and he did a decent job but to be honest with you I'm still not 100% happy with the halo :sad:

Please don't get discouraged by my outcome because it really all depends on the jeweler and how you express your wants, maybe I didn't do such a good job with that. I think your ring is beautiful but I know how it is to want something different, it will eat up at you until you get it done! Good luck.

Your ring is so lovely as is. Don't cover it up with a Halo. I love a setting like yours that highlights the diamond on it's own. Maybe get a right hand ring in a colored gem stone or colored diamond with a halo setting. Colored stones look really pretty in a halo setting & maybe it'll satisfy your craving for a halo setting. I agree a bit with AME that the Halo setting is quite popular now. You've got to wonder if you will tire of the halo a few years from now or if you think it might feel dated. I guess you could always reset it back to a more simple setting in the future if you did get tired of the halo setting. I think your ring is so beautiful the way it is & that your hubby did a great job :smile: Of course you've got to do what makes you happy, but think long & hard about it.