Re-cutting a chipped uninsured diamond

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
Has anyone ever had a stone re-cut? I have a teeny tiny chip on outer edge. You can't see it with naked eye but you can feel it ever so slightly. And jeweler showed me under lens that it is there. Just wondering if it is worth it to re-cut. I have not researched pricing yet. Thought someone on forum might have experience with this situation. Thanks!

Has anyone ever had a stone re-cut? I have a teeny tiny chip on outer edge. You can't see it with naked eye but you can feel it ever so slightly. And jeweler showed me under lens that it is there. Just wondering if it is worth it to re-cut. I have not researched pricing yet. Thought someone on forum might have experience with this situation. Thanks!
My mom did it for sentimental reasons. Her e-ring's original stone was a .5, but after cutting it was closer to .35. She still wears her ring to this day, though she did inherit a diamond ring with a 1.5 ct center stone that she wears sometimes on her right hand.

emem - That is a great idea! Surprised that I did not think of that. I wonder why my jeweler said I should re-cut it.
sometimes a chip can get larger or even fracture the diamond if hit in that exact spot again. Brian Gavin will recut a chipped diamond and I would contact him for a recut- it's really not that expensive and he charges by the size.

sometimes a chip can get larger or even fracture the diamond if hit in that exact spot again. Brian Gavin will recut a chipped diamond and I would contact him for a recut- it's really not that expensive and he charges by the size.

Oh my goodness. Jpup - so good to hear from you. I actually thought of you when I saw this thread. I thought you once discussed a similar situation.

I know someone who chose size and color and sacrificed a good cut. The diamond chipped shortly after she got it set. She had it recut and was told to be very careful and not reset it as that might jeopardize the integrity of the diamond.

Oh my goodness. Jpup - so good to hear from you. I actually thought of you when I saw this thread. I thought you once discussed a similar situation.
Hi MDT!! Yes, somehow I managed to chip my original ering- no idea when it happened so it needed a recut. I highly recommend Brian Gavin.:smile:

A real expert would be able to see if its a clean cut which can be hidden in a bezel setting or whether there are cracks surrounding the chip which can jeopardize the entire stone. In the end it's for you decide whether youre happy with a much smaller stone with no chip or a large one with a safely hidden chip.:smile: