Rawhide Bones...

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I've heard mixed reviews on these. My Vet says they're OK to give my pup, but I'm really scared about her eating them and clogging up her insides. On the other hand, they turn my uber-hyper terrorist into the best dog EVER for a few hours. What do you guys think?

2. I think its ok in moderation. My 10 year old dog goes crazy over them; he's incredibly healthy, and he's had them on a somewhat regular basis since he was one, so I wouldn't worry too much.

3. We buy the rawhide chips instead of the big knots. If the dogs swallow one of the chips, its no big deal. We did have a lab who ingested an entire giant rawhide bone :wtf: in one sitting. One minute he was happily chewing the bone, the next minute it was gone. We tore apart the whole house searching for it, we were frantic, but no he really did swallow the whole thing. It was incredible. So now we stick to the chips.

We also make sure the chips are manufactured in America, because there have been some issues with rawhide chews from China.

4. I don't feed rawhide bones. I worry about it clogging the intestines.
    I give my puppy beef trachea (moo tubes). They are all natural, and have the added bonus of natural Glucosamine + Chondroitin-which is good for growing dogs and old dogs!
    http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/product_detail.aspx?item_guid=DBE03A33-2578-469A-ADD5-20BE6CA4F582&raw=0

Funny....my senior boxer found one in the middle of the night and decided he would have a midnight snack on the end of our bed. These things crunch loud late at night!:lol: They are crunchy and chewy!;)

5. I don't use them.
    To keep Olive busy and chewing I also give trachea or flossies or bully sticks. You can also give marrow bones. A butcher can cut them to be about an inch, and I store them in the freezer. I never leave her home alone with any of these things, as I worry about choking when it's just the little piece at the end.

6. #6 Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
    Raw bones (as opposed to rawhide bones) are best, uncooked beef bones is what my Rottie gets...or Pizzle Sticks, but be warned, all of the above are OUTSIDE toys, they stink to high heaven. I had a dog growing up that ate a rawhide too fast and had to be operated on. She had a blockage and it resulted in some serious medical bills. I gave my Yorkie rawhide and after years of no incidence, noticed blood in his stool one day. That was the last time he had one, no more after that.

7. The vets that I have worked for really discouraged them, especially in smaller dogs.
    You can try bully sticks, pig ears, or the deer hooves. Those stink to high heaven but will keep your dog busy for hours.

8. #8 Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
    I give bully sticks, and I used to give 'compressed' rawhide bones. They last forever even with the hardest chewer. They are very hard layers of rawhide compressesd and shaped like a chewbone. Once my dog tasted bullysticks, they would never again touch the rawhide, LOL. I have large dogs so I get the large bullys that are twisted into a knot at each end to look kind of like a bone. Last awhile even for a hard chewer. Keep them in the freezer though or they might go 'off'. I have them eat in the house so I guess I am used to the smell, LOL. Just not allowed on the furniture, yuck.

Interestingly, my vets don't like the hooves, say they are too hard and they have seen ("slab"?) fractures of the (molars?) from these. May not have the term or the tooth right but you get the picture

9. Depends on the dog - I have a dog who got blood in her stool from bully sticks, so I just don't give them anything similar to be safe. I did find a store near me that has salmon skin sticks that last longer than a typical treat but they only last about a half hour for my dogs (and they're small).

10. I'm a huge fan of marrow bones but only if they are fresh. I would avoid the boiled bones sold in pet stores. Fresh from the butcher is best.;) I know some people who refreeze them after a chew session, but I do not do that. I give them a one chewing session because they will get harder as they age and can break teeth. Also, you really need to know your dog. If you have an insane chewer, marrow bones can cause tooth damage.
    I feed my dogs a raw diet so they are fed edible bones everyday such as beef neck/pork necks/rabbit/goat/chicken.

Elk and deer antlers are a better option if you have an overly aggressive chewer.
    My mastiff puppy scares me when she chews marrow, so I stick to antlers for recreational chewing.

11. I used to, but stopped recently. I gave a small rawhide to my 15 lb. guy and he hoovered it. About an hour later, he threw it up in huuuuge pieces! I seriously don't think he even bothered to chew...just bit off the biggest piece he could swallow.

12. Our big dog loves rawhide bones. So does the little one but he practically swallows them whole and has no self control...he is also allergic to beef so that pretty much rules out most types of beef. Before I found this out I was giving him bully sticks but really, I would not ever leave any dog unattended with any bone. We always put bones away when we're not around...they usually get something while we are watching TV and are around in front of us. It's just too dangerous and I have heard of too many dogs choking or dying.
    I was giving the little dog Antlerz which are deer antlers (turned out he was allergic to those as well) and at one point tried himalayan mountain chews but he ate them WAY to fast. Now, I stick to kongs (which I stuff with a mixture of a little bit of his dry food and little peanut butter) and if I have to I buy a frozen lamb bone and watch him while he chews on that.

13. My jack russell terrier LOVES rawhides, the bigger, the better, otherwise he just demolishes them. It seems like the bigger knot bones force him to chew, so he's never had a problem with swallowing too much in one go.

We've been giving them to him ever since he was about 4 months old - it used to take him a few weeks to get through one. I think giving them to him while he was a puppy really fuelled that chewing instinct in him so 1) he left all our socks and shoes alone and 2) he grew up knowing how to chew tough stuff.

I've never had a problem with them but you should absolutely do what makes you most comfortable. If your dog loves them and you've never noticed any problems with its backside business, I wouldn't worry.

14. Thanks for the suggestions! I really want to switch to something else just because I'm afraid of them really clogging her up. She devours the end off of one in about an hour, and since it dissappears, I can only assume she is swallowing it. I typically watch her, and if they start to get "gummy", I take it and cut off the gummy part, but it's like sawing through concrete. I figured if I can barely cut through it, she shouldn't be swallowing it, lol. I'm going to let her keep the ones she already has, but look into the other options you guys suggested! Thanks again!

15. I don't think they can cause harm... my puppy likes them also and yes they are peace-makers! butas everyone said they should be used with moderation... for instance, I give him 1 every 2 or 3 days.