Rap?

Not all rap is about *****es and hos. Most of it is.

I think the key is to find the songs with the 'right' message.

Some off the top of my head:

'Pray' by MC Hammer
'Keep Ya Head Up' by Tupac
'Juicy' by The Notorious B.I.G.

As I mentioned earlier 'Jesus Walks' 'The Diamonds of Sierra Leone' by Kanye West

'Run Away' by Ludacris feat. Mary J. Blige

Not really into it. I like a few songs but could never listen to an entire album. I like alternative hip-hop when it is blended with electronica, i.e., 13 & God and Fat Jon and Styrofoam.

I like raps with meaning! It is interesting to listen to the lyrics of rappers and what they go thru...
I also love rap songs with a good beat, regardless of the lyrics! (though some are UNBEARABLe, like this 1 particular song by Dr.Dre&others rapping about killing numerous people and gunshot sound effects repeatedly went of...heeehee)
rap can be many things! yeah- violent, sexist, etc...but enlightening and even humurous too! ;)

I ONLY like positive rap/hip-hop. If it has a positive message then I will listen to it (particularly if the beat is good). If it's negative---degrading to women, stereotypical..promoting violence, too much cursing....I'm not buying it and I won't listen to it!

I love rap though you'd probably never guess it looking at me. Even though I can't personally relate to most of it I still like it. My dog will calm down some in the car if you play rap.

and not all rap is hateful and violent. Check out MC Chris. he raps about being a nerd.

I don't care really, all I know is that rap, along with jazz, certain classical artists and opera singers, and cuban/latin music are my faves. They just sound *right* to me, unlike rock and alternative and such. I like the way certain music flows, as opposed to rock music which just doesn't do a thing for me. I like the sound of certain rap artists' voices also, like Trick Daddy, Marques Houston, Three 6 Mafia, plus others. I wish I knew the exact reason that I enjoy the music I do, but meh, I'll figure it out eventually!

I absolutely can't stand Eminem and 50 cent, though. Refuse to listen to them. Eminem because he's a jerk and 50 cent, I just do not care for his voice or songs.

I listen to it and if I like the beat, I like it. If I don't, I don't. I think there are many rap styles out there and not everyone will always like all of it.

I used to like rap, but I think I grew out of it. I think much of it really is offensive, and I think it's heavily marketed and none of it (except for Kanye West) appears to have substance. All the songs sound the same to me.

Now that I think about it, I only like Finnish rap, and only about 5% of that as well. That 5% isn't sexist and abusive at all. So who ever said that you can't dismiss an entire genre as terrible was right :yes:

:lol: well some of it is very catchy.

but usually, not for me. i'm not particularly sensitive so i don't get worked up about how it's racist/degrading to women but the sound just doesn't appeal to me. but i grew up listening to metal and classic rock so it's hardly surprising.

I don't listen to it...although I definitely sing along to alot of it...sometimes half mocking.

"They see me rollin
They hatin
Patrolling they tryin to catch me ridin dirty"

LOL this one's my fav. But yeah, I don't really like it much.