Rap?

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
Some people think it's lyrical poetry that reflects the artist and what they might be going through. Others think it's violent and sexist and offensive and not even music.

What do you think?

I like rap. A good rapper has flow. A good rapper tells you what's going on in his or her life, whether it be how much of a pimp they are, or the amount of violence around them.

Yes, rap can be violent. Listen to Kim by Eminem. That entire album (The Marshall Mathers MP) was violent and sexist. But isn't it better the artist is rapping about doing something violent than them actually going out and doing it?

If you listen to the album after that (The Eminem Show), he seems to be a lot calmer than he used to be. He revealed things about his personal life that he didn't when he was Slim Shady. Slim Shady just liked to deliberately piss everyone off.

Eminem, Marshall Mathers, is not Slim Shady anymore.

My favorite song off of that album is Sing For The Moment. He raps about people being offended by an artist's lyrics. What Eminem says is that these artists mean something to their fans.

These are my favorite parts:
I guess words are a motherfucker, they can be great
Or they can be great, or even worse, they can teach hate

It's why we sing for these kids that don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a ****ing rap magazine
Who post pinup pictures on their walls all day long
Idolise their favourite rappers and know all they songs
Or for anyone who's ever been through **** in they lives
So they sit and they cry at night, wishing they die
Till they throw on a rap record, and they sit and they vibe
We're nothing to you, but we're the ****in' **** in their eyes

Rap can also mean something. Eminem gets more political on The Eminem Show. He also raps about how stupid rap wars are in Toy Soldiers. Kanye raps about Jesus in Jesus Walks, and he raps about the suffering that goes on regarding blood diamonds from Sierra Leone in The Diamonds of Sierra Leone.

The Marshall Mathers MP was a form of therapy for Eminem. He had demons in his life and he rapped about them.

After taking poetry classes in college, I think I've grown to appreciate the lyrics of rap so much more. Because rap is poetry. You speak the lyrics even without the backing track and there's a flow to it.

I didn't buy The Marshall Mathers MP. I didn't like the fact that he purposely tried to piss people off. (I understood why he did it, but I didn't like it.)

Sometimes I just like a song because it has a really good beat. I'll try to avoid something that's excessively raunchy (of course Li'l Kim's How Many Licks? is the exception) but for the most part, I don't really pay attention to the lyrics in that case. Big Poppa by The Notorious B.I.G is a good one. So's Victory by Puff Daddy and the Family. I also really like Ain't Nuthin' But A G Thing by Dr. Dre and Snoop Doggy Dogg.

When it comes down to it, if a song is meant to mean something, I'll pay attention to it. Otherwise, if it's got a good beat, and it's not TOO raunchy, then I like it.

That's the beauty of rap. It can have a message. But it can also be great party songs.

I like rap...well, some rap. My brother used to listen to it a lot, so I practically grew up listening to hip hop. I love Tupac. As for the rookies, I really like Kanye West.

I dislike rap very much and I do think it's "violent and sexist and offensive". I used to like it a lot about 4 or 5 years ago but then I grew up and started to despise how sexist and offensive they can be.

I like some rap (I don't believe anyone can dismiss an entire genre of music as terrible), but I think a lot of it sets a really bad example for a lot of young people. A lot of it is offensive because of the sexual and violent content, and certain rappers (like 50 Cent) are admired for their horrible pasts, which young guys in particular try to emmulate.

i really think you have to be talented to rap esp. the inpromt acts i think it takes a person with talent, but i dont concidered it to be deeper than some other music i.e. ballads

Raps ok. I would never go and buy a rap album...but I do like maybe 5 songs...enough to put them on my ipod. HEE HEE.

I'm the same. I like rap but I wouldn't go out and buy a whole album of it. I like to pick and choose from different rap artists as theres a lot of songs I don't like aswell. I'll happily listen to any of it though (say at a party) as I like to hear lots of different styles. I don't think you can just say "yuck rap turn it off" and label it all in one box.

I like rap....and as I've gotten older I've found that I hear much more racist, sexist and violent things on the evening news than I'd ever hear in a rap song.

One of my favorite rappers is definitely Eminem.

I think he's got a huge talent!! He's not afraid to tell it like it is, he bares himself to the entire world without fear of judgement, etc. I have a lot of respect for him and his music.

I don't like rap. It's not because of it being violent or sexist, because I listen to death metal and that stuff is probably ten times more violent and sexist than any rap song (Hammer Smashed Face, anyone?). I just never got into it.

Now that I think about it, I only like Finnish rap, and only about 5% of that as well. That 5% isn't sexist and abusive at all. So who ever said that you can't dismiss an entire genre as terrible was right :yes: