rant: "new" items that are actually used

kendal

Apr 8, 2008
//begin rant

Over T-giving I admired an Eileen Fisher snood / scarf that was just gorgeous. The price was outrageous so I waited until it went on sale & purchased it from nordstrom online last week. Got it in the mail today, noticed it no longer had the "Eileen Fisher" tag, but a printed replacement tag from the register. Since I got it on sale & it was just for me, I was ok with this. I slipped it over my head and was overwhelmed by perfume. This was not a left over scent from merely trying it on - this was a "I wore this scarf for a week, got bored with it and returned it". So basically I just bought someone's laundry. EW, EW, EW!

Nordstrom was great -they over-nighting me a replacement, but I can't help think that Nordstrom's stellar customer service (which includes a liberal return policy) was a contributing factor to my ending up with a obviously used item.

//end rant

i know it's a trivial problem to have, but it is disappointing.

ah, feel so much better post rant....

I agree, it's the flip side of the wonderful return policy. I love Nordstrom for this policy and buy from them whenever I have the choice, but it does bug me that this possibility exists.
I once bought a sweaterdress from the lacoste website. It came with tags and everything (I don't know if it was a replacement) but there was an obvious stain on the front. I returned it and they didn't charge me for return shipping, but it really bugged me too that obviously someone wore this dress and got it dirty before it was sent to me as a new dress.
It's really too bad that people take advantage of a liberal return policy.

i purchased vera wang lavender flats from saks.com the day after christmas at 70% off, and was super excited, but the shoes i received were worn. :crybaby:

they weren't floor model/ tried on kind of worn, but actually worn for at least days. i was so upset that i dropped everything and returned it to the store within hours of receiving it. i still can't believe that saks let someone return the shoes in such condition, AND tried to resell it.

was in nordies & found a pair of cole haan pumps. the pair i tried on was the last pair in the store & i had been tried on quite a few times already so i asked for a new pair to be shipped to me. to my horror when they arrived the bottoms were worn!!!! i went to the nordies closer to me to exchange them but they didn't have another pair. bc the pair i had were only lightly worn i offered to take them, with a discount. spoke to the store manager who refused to discount the shoes but offered me the option of keeping the worn pair, full priced or playing another game of shoe roulette w/ them ordering me another pair. i returned them...

I once ordered Manolo Blahnik shoes from Neiman Marcus & they had obviously been worn outside. Terrible. I can't believe they took them as a return & had the nerve to send them out to another customer. Didn't think twice about returning them.