Rant about Woody Allen & Roman Polanski

I don't know pretty much anything about Woody Allen, but as far as Polanski goes, I cannot judge. He survived the Holocaust, his mother was killed in a Nazi camp, his wife and unborn child were murdered. No, he has not made some good choices but I can't imagine what he has been through and we don't know enough of the circumstances to judge... or at least I don't.

exactly. theres a difference (to me anyway) between a pedophile and a man making a bozo of a bad bad choice. and filter in drugs, alcohol or just drunk with power, it makes people do bonehead things. In the end, I hope everyone receives healing over both these incidents and has become a better person today.

I don't know pretty much anything about Woody Allen, but as far as Polanski goes, I cannot judge. He survived the Holocaust, his mother was killed in a Nazi camp, his wife and unborn child were murdered. No, he has not made some good choices but I can't imagine what he has been through and we don't know enough of the circumstances to judge... or at least I don't.

I think this is one of the most compelling aspects of the human condition. We all relate to pain and suffering and seem to understand the toll it takes on one.
I am not discounting the young woman's pain because certainly her life was shaped completely by Polanski. But, she just seems so... okay. Like she really has moved on and is doing well. Polanski on the other hand appears so damaged.
He seems to have a taste for young women in general and that is certainly a questionable desire but through his movies we can see he is a pretty tortured fellow.

I guess I will answer my own unasked question.
I, aside from having no clear artistic talent, would make a horrid artist. I am not tortured enough. I am too happy.
I did try to follow in my father's awesome's footsteps. He was a hook-rugger...basically knit paint by numbers.
To no avail.

I guess I will answer my own unasked question.
I, aside from having no clear artistic talent, would make a horrid artist. I am not tortured enough. I am too happy.
I did try to follow in my father's awesome's footsteps. He was a hook-rugger...basically knit paint by numbers.
To no avail.

theres creativity in everyone. but I understand what you are saying though and there is some credence to it. Alot of musical artists were starving when they wrote their hit songs that got them album deals. Then they toured, got fat and happy and all their inspiration went away. Why do you think all the great Blues singers wrote such great material that everyone ended up stealing? (ie Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Blind Blake, Junior Wells, etc.) Because they sung about what they knew and it was sincere. Don't get me started about the Rolling Stones, The Beatles and Led Zeppelin, though I love all their music dearly, they sure did lift ALOT of grooves and lyrics from these old blues artists. Like the saying goes, the greatest music ever stolen. There was no copyright protection for those artists. Many died penniless.
I still encourage everyone to try their hand at art. You don't have to be down and out or a junkie to be good! don't let that hold you back!

Well, as embarrassing as it is to admit, in college writing classes, I was always more prolific and seemingly profound when my heart had just been stamped on.
In retrospect, some of that writing was gloomy and melodramatic and hard work usually gave better results. But, the motivation was more obviously there when I was sad.

Well, as embarrassing as it is to admit, in college writing classes, I was always more prolific and seemingly profound when my heart had just been stamped on.
In retrospect, some of that writing was gloomy and melodramatic and hard work usually gave better results. But, the motivation was more obviously there when I was sad.

:yes: I can relate.

In Polanski's case, I just don't see the mitigating factors. This wasn't a 17 year old or even a 16 year old. We are talking about a 7th grade GIRL and a pedophile. I cannot make that okay in my head because there are almost no circumstances where a 13 year old girl comes across as a woman. The Holocaust and his wife and unborn child being murdered were horrible things to live through, but I fail to see how this drives someone to pedophilia.

I can excuse poor choices. Politicians having affairs, pastors having affairs or doing drugs, all sorts of things. I also agree that power corrupts and decent people can make some really stupid choices. But raping a child doesn't strike me as just a poor choice; it is an illness that makes a person dangerous to all children. Assaulting a child isn't even in the same category as affairs or drug use or other poor choices to me. I would love to have the forgiving nature that some people do, but I fail utterly when I seek compassion in my heart for those who abuse children.

In Polanski's case, I just don't see the mitigating factors. This wasn't a 17 year old or even a 16 year old. We are talking about a 7th grade GIRL and a pedophile. I cannot make that okay in my head because there are almost no circumstances where a 13 year old girl comes across as a woman. The Holocaust and his wife and unborn child being murdered were horrible things to live through, but I fail to see how this drives someone to pedophilia.

I can excuse poor choices. Politicians having affairs, pastors having affairs or doing drugs, all sorts of things. I also agree that power corrupts and decent people can make some really stupid choices. But raping a child doesn't strike me as just a poor choice; it is an illness that makes a person dangerous to all children. Assaulting a child isn't even in the same category as affairs or drug use or other poor choices to me. I would love to have the forgiving nature that some people do, but I fail utterly when I seek compassion in my heart for those who abuse children.

Your argument is compelling on the surface and very true. However, in this case, it comes down to what the circumstances were and the only people who really know the truth are Polanski and the girl. We only have limited info. One of my best friends looked 16 when she was 13/14 and was having sex with older men. Thats just who she was. It wasn't right. But she knew what she was doing. This girls mom left her with him. The girl drank with him and got into a hot tub with him. There are no angels in this scenario. Its not like he found her on the internet and coaxed her over. She wanted to be a star. I think both sides and the mother need to be accountable for what happened.

I could be wrong, and I am writing here late at night (for me), but I don't ever think there was anything legally proven that Woody Allen Slept with Soon Yi before she was of legal age, If so, it's still sickening and scummy, but no law was proven to be broken.

Gosh they've been married for some years now and have a couple of kids, right?