Rant about the Rack!! (Ned to Vent!!)

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:
OK -- so you know how I'm always saying that we NEVER get any good MJ bags at the Rack stores around here??? So yesterday I get a call about a shoe/handbag event taking place today at our Rack store. I was specifically told that there would be MJ and Chloe bags -- when asked about which ones I was told they couldn't tell me until today and that they would have the Mgr of that dept call me this morning.

So I got up early and called the store at 7:59 (they open at 8) -- got the Accessories Mgr on the phone at 8:04 who promptly tells me that all the bags are gone. GONE!!! She goes on to tell me that there were no MJ bags -- only Juicy Couture, Burberry, Botkier....but they are all gone!! IN FOUR MINUTES!!??

So I waited a few minutes & called back and this time asked the store operator about this event -- she goes on tell me that yea -- there were MJ bags -- "I EVEN GOT ONE FOR $39.97"!!!! I said -- wait, what? "You got an MJ bag for 39.97? Was it an MJ or MbyMJ ?"-- she said MJ -- it's a quilted style for 39.97!!! So tell me -- how does a STORE EMPLOYEE who's ON THE CLOCK, make a handbag purchase of a designer that I was told was not even available, make a purchase like that??? And then she TELLS a customer????

:cursing::cursing:It makes me so mad -- when I hear all you lovely ladies talking about calling stores and finding great bags, having SAs call you to tell you what's there -- $199 stams, $349 Alyona bags, $399 Hudsons, etc ---- yet, these bags NEVER EVER make it to the Chicago area stores --- Chicago, a major city/market -- there's NEVER anything better than Juicy Couture, Lamb, Cole Haan, Betsy Johnson, etc ---- and when they have an event like this THEIR EMPLOYEES take advantage of the better designers available!!!!!
And forget about calling any other time -- half the SAs don't even know what you're talking about.

How can a store like Nordstroms -- that has such wonderful, excellent customer service at it's full line store have such lousy, crappy CS at it's outlet locations??? How can these two stores even be connected????

ARGH! It makes me so mad!!!

*SIGH* Deep Breath -- Ok, rant done! THANKS!:flowers:

Last edited:
I always wonder the same thing! My NR in Atlanta has CRAP! Then I keep getting these darn bags on ebay w/ prices less than $200. Racketeering or some junk!

*sigh*

I am sorry! You need to get an insider :lol: someone that can work there and let you know of any deals! Got a good niece?

I feel for ya darlin! Don't let it get you down.

Whoa I am going to need you to take a breath and exhale. I am sitting in my Drs office reading your posting. Yes while it is dishearting that the sales items are most time gotten by the employees, but that is just one of the perks of working retail.

When I was in college that was how I got my wardrobe and a little spending money.

Sorry I can't fault the early bird getting the worm. Maybe they will hit eBay soon.

Whoa I am going to need you to take a breath and exhale. I am sitting in my Drs office reading your posting. Yes while it is dishearting that the sales items are most time gotten by the employees, but that is just one of the perks of working retail.

When I was in college that was how I got my wardrobe and a little spending money.

Sorry I can't fault the early bird getting the worm. Maybe they will hit eBay soon.

I can see it on a regular daily basis -- but NOT on an event like this which only takes place 2-3 times/year!!! The Accessories Mgr has told me repeatedly that they only get these bags a few times/year and that she would keep me informed of what was available -- I worked retail too and when we had sales or special promotions -- employees were only allowed to shop on their OFF TIME -- NOT while they were on the clock. And to turn around and brag to a customer??? Sorry -- I don't think that's right (and I'm all for finding bargains!)

How do you know they were on the clock? People place bags on hold and purchase all the time. Unfortunately it is unfair to us but they are spending their money as well.

Keep searching. Some store out there has some bags where the employees could care less about the sale because they are worried about keeping a roof over their heads instead.

You do have to admit thatfour bags to a major area is not a lot to get worked up about. They are just baiting sales. Just wait there will be more to come.

How do you know they were on the clock? People place bags on hold and purchase all the time........

According to both the person I spoke to yesterday & the Accessories Mgr today, the boxes weren't opened until this morning (the Accessories Mgr told me herself that she came in at 6am to put the bags out) and that there were NO HOLDS. The Accessories Mgr said that when they doors opened at 8 the bags flew off the table -- the employee told me she came in with all the other customers, yet she managed to answer the phone at 7:59 and again at 8:20!!!! Regardless of the circumstances -- why brag to a customer like that? If an employee is going to take advantage of something like that, I don't think it's right to tell a customer who's calling looking for the SAME THING. That's what I believe it wrong here --

That is definitely frustrating. I really gave up trying to find deals. If I happen upon them, great (or find out about them on here). But I stopped visiting/calling NR or Off 5th looking for MJ bags b/c I was always disappointed!

when i worked retail, we weren't allowed to hold anything. i guess their idea was that the customer has first dibs. my perk was the discount and access to the stock room, which had new items that weren't for sale yet or past season items that got lost amongst all the inventory, which had been drastically marked down.

i don't know the rules of working in a department store, but perhaps the employees are allowed to first pickings and everything they don't want gets put out on the racks, which is unfortunate (and i think a little unfair - i mean, am i supposed to get a side job working at nr or off fifth in order to find a good deal on anything?), but such is life. i'm sure department stores don't care since they're making money either way.

however, are the outlet employees allowed to use their discount on sales items? if so, it would behoove the store to sell to the customer rather than to them if profit is all they care about.

According to both the person I spoke to yesterday & the Accessories Mgr today, the boxes weren't opened until this morning (the Accessories Mgr told me herself that she came in at 6am to put the bags out) and that there were NO HOLDS. The Accessories Mgr said that when they doors opened at 8 the bags flew off the table -- the employee told me she came in with all the other customers, yet she managed to answer the phone at 7:59 and again at 8:20!!!! Regardless of the circumstances -- why brag to a customer like that? If an employee is going to take advantage of something like that, I don't think it's right to tell a customer who's calling looking for the SAME THING. That's what I believe it wrong here --

As much as this situation sucks, it happens all the time. Great example is when I wroked at Best Buy. Employees were NOT allowed to hold or buy items on the clock, but, we did it anyways. Especially with Wii's. We would hold about 5 per shipment, because we always got more that the ad said we would and customers never knew the difference. It sucks, but, it's a perk for working at the store. You go in and either hide the item and buy it later when you're off or on break, or, you have someone else come in and buy it for you. This is how I got my Wii. I had a friend come in and buy it for me and held it for him. It sucks, but, it's retail.

^^that's exactly what I was thinking tadpole -- when I worked retail, we could hold new merchandise that came in (full price) but the only sale items we could grab & hold were older items that got returned -- those they didn't care so much about becuz our discount didn't apply to sale items so we paid the same as everyone else -- so if an item came in that was 1 or 2 seasons ago, an employee could "claim" it but they had to buy it within 3 days. But when our store had an event or big sale, we had to come in before or after our shift in order to shop -- sometimes an employee had a family member come in for them just so they could get what they wanted -- but an employee was NOT allowed to shop w/customers if they were on the clock (and if this girl was answering phones at 8am she was obviously on the clock!)

Considering what I was told were the "terms" of this sale -- the boxes weren't opened til this morning (that's why no one could tell me yesterday what was included for sure) and that there were no holds, which IMO means no holds for employees either -- the Mgr & the phone operator both told me that the bags flew off the table when the doors opened and the Phone Operator told me she got there a little before 8 & there was a line, which she ended up coming in with (which makes it sound like she was late for work!) and on her way in, she grabbed a MJ bag and paid $39.97 -- now whether that's with an employee discount or not, I have no idea -- and whether or not she paid for the bag or its on hold til her shift ends, ????

As much as this situation sucks, it happens all the time. Great example is when I wroked at Best Buy. Employees were NOT allowed to hold or buy items on the clock, but, we did it anyways. Especially with Wii's. We would hold about 5 per shipment, because we always got more that the ad said we would and customers never knew the difference. It sucks, but, it's a perk for working at the store. You go in and either hide the item and buy it later when you're off or on break, or, you have someone else come in and buy it for you. This is how I got my Wii. I had a friend come in and buy it for me and held it for him. It sucks, but, it's retail.

I don't think I'd openly admit that -- you're right -- it's wrong (and now that you've told us -- we all know that Best Buy gets more Wiis than they tell customers!!) FIVE WIIs???? the only reason ONE person needs more than one (or even 2) WIIs is to resell them -- why on earth would an employee need FIVE WIIs???

Regardless -- it's WRONG for an employee to brag to paying customers -- if you guys do that kind of stuff, then keep it quiet -- why brag to your customers? It only infuriates them and causes to them want to shop elsewhere (seriously -- I've already called other Racks & will give them my business!)

Wow, that totally stinks and I can definitely understand your frustration. If this event only happens once or twice a year, I am assuming all the premier designer bags get snatched up with in a few minutes very regularly. What is the point of even advertising it if the employees are the ones who get dibs on all the good stuff?! And the employee who bragged to you about getting a bag for 39.99 is just dumb. Maybe you should write a letter to Corporate and tattle-tale about the unfair practices of the Chicago SA's. Hopefully they will re-train them or replace them :cursing:

.............. Maybe you should write a letter to Corporate and tattle-tale about the unfair practices of the Chicago SA's. Hopefully they will re-train them or replace them :cursing:

I actually did -- the woman I spoke to was very nice and she said that usually, employees are allowed to make purchases while their working during "down time" but when they have these Special Events, employees are generally not allowed to make personal purchases until their shift ends. The sales like these are meant for the customers -- She also said that the employee was completely out of line to repeat the info (about her purchase) to me on the phone, esp since it was less then 20 minutes into the event. She said she would pass my name & number along to the store manager, so we'll see what (if anything) happens -- whether he calls to apologize or what.

In the meantime, I called a few other Racks in other states and spoke with some very nice, sweet Accessory Mgrs -- they took my name and number & told me that they would gladly call me when they get the "good" MJ bags in. Most of them said that they keep running lists, and at least one of them told me that the morning of events (like this one) she will call those customers to tell them what she has. That's really all I was looking for today -- for someone to call me to tell me what bags they had. The store is downtown, and in order for me to go I'd have to get up early -- wake the baby -- get her ready -- get to the train -- ride the train into the city -- get to the Rack & shop and be back home in time to go to work!!! If they had anything "good" (or what I was looking for/hoping they had) I would have just given them my debit card number & done a charge send!!
I mean, someone who calls & wants a charge send is as much of a customer as one who shops in person!!

Again -- I just find it so hard to believe that, that Rack is affiliated with Nordstroms -- they couldn't be more completely opposite of each other when it comes to customer service.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. When I was in H.S, I worked at both Nord's & The Rack. It happens all the time!!!! Whne I worked there, we weren't allowed to buy items until a certain point (so for the Half Yearly Sale, we couldn't buy anything until after noon to give customers the first pick) but I know of a lot of girls that would take items and hide them in the stock room, pull them out before their lunch, clock out for lunch and buy them.
The other issue (at least when I worked for the company) is that Nord's doesn't necessarily have the same attitude toward the rack as they do towards their main stores. Their cleaning standards, dress code standards etc are different. This is only based on my experience.