Ralph Lauren vs designer

May 16, 2020
Hi I'm new here & I'm debating what bag to get.
I like some Ralph Lauren Collection bags (the higher end ones) but I feel like it's not on the same high end 'designer level' as some other brands (say fendi or ferragamo).
Am I right & if so why not?

Of course I will only get a bag I love, but I do really want a high end bag this time to add to my collection. I'm not sure getting Ralph Lauren Collection will fill that want & then I will regret my purchase.

Thanks @sdkitty ! I have one of those bags & I love it.
But somehow it doesn't feel as "high end designer" as some other brands.
So I'm not sure if getting another RL will fulfill what I'm looking for.
I don't have personal experience with these bags. The Ricky seems to be the one that got attention here and I think it's a pretty expensive bag, isn't it? There are plenty of other brands out there if you dont want another RL

I think RL might not be widely appreciated as a high end bag brand, at least imagewise and the LRL brand may distract people from the RL bags. I've never had a RL bag but I keep hearing good things about them. Even the LRL bags are great quality for the money, I've had a wallet from LRL and it was great.

If you want a "recognised" high end bag, RL might not satisfy your wants and needs.

Reactions: A bottle of Red
I may be further along in my journey than you but hit the pause button and look at your rationale. If you are trying to telegraph to the world that you've done well for yourself, you need a bag that is recognizable as high-end, like a Chanel or Hermes or a logo bag from LV or Goyard. OTOH, some of the wealthiest and most successful women I know like "under the radar" styles that are just as luxurious (if not more so) as the big four or five high-end brands. The Ricky is a gorgeous bag and Ralph Lauren's stuff is well-made and anyone who judges you for that choice is silly.

So for me it's neither telegraphing to anyone nor being judged.
It's sort of like lusting after a designer bag & now that I will finally get one to celebrate a big milestone, I'm not 100%sure the RL will satisfy that feeling.
I personally don't like chanel or lv or gucci. I hate logos and things that scream the brand.
I was considering maybe a fendi mini peekaboo, or a bag from ferragamo. I would want to see those in person though, which obviously is out right now.

However I saw a cream colored Ricky that was stunning.

Reactions: Amazona
If your heart is lusting after a designer bag, get a Hermes bag. In my experience, you can start with other designers that are also high luxury like Fendi/Ferragamo, but as the years go on....getting a Hermes bag is like, the ultimate luxury bag. I wish I hadn’t wasted so much money on other bags before I decided to buy a Hermes bag.

ETA I think the RL bags aren’t considered so high luxury because 1. The RL lower brands are everywhere in Dept stores and 2. When I think RL I think clothing, not bags. It’s like Tiffany making watches. Nice watches, but when I think Tiffany I think jewelry. I think Rolex when I think watches.

So I wouldn't get Hermes because I just don't think it makes sense to spend that kind of money on a purse.
I would feel such guilt I could never enjoy it. It's hard enough for me not to feel guilty over a 2000 dollar bag, when I have bags from outlet centers that were 50 dollars & still almost perfect years later.

Reactions: sdkitty
So I wouldn't get Hermes because I just don't think it makes sense to spend that kind of money on a purse.
I would feel such guilt I could never enjoy it. It's hard enough for me not to feel guilty over a 2000 dollar bag, when I have bags from outlet centers that were 50 dollars & still almost perfect years later.
I hear ya. I feel guilty too lol. I think you mentioned above you were considering Fendi mini peekaboo, which is about $4k, so I thought a Hermes Evelyne or picotin (around $3k) would be worth considering.

Hi I'm new here & I'm debating what bag to get.
I like some Ralph Lauren Collection bags (the higher end ones) but I feel like it's not on the same high end 'designer level' as some other brands (say fendi or ferragamo).
Am I right & if so why not?

Of course I will only get a bag I love, but I do really want a high end bag this time to add to my collection. I'm not sure getting Ralph Lauren Collection will fill that want & then I will regret my purchase.
I googled and it seems that RL bags are around a grand. You have an option of buying a preloved designer for that money. You can’t get Hermès for a grand but Prada is an option. I like Prada Inside Bag - unique and super cute, especially smaller size. Miu Miu has some very interesting bags. I like small Tods structured bags. Vintage Gucci can be in your price range. I love Gucci quality. Don’t buy from eBay - too many fakes. There are some companies which are safer than eBay - Real Real, Luxury Closet.... At the same time, Ricky is a nice looking bag based on the picture. I am just not familiar with a quality. At the end, get what makes your heart sing.

I googled and it seems that RL bags are around a grand. You have an option of buying a preloved designer for that money.

They are actually closer to 2-3k.

The bags are very well constructed and felt equivalent to Celine/Bottega quality. I got to handle them at the Rodeo Drive flagship a couple of years back. The leathers are very thick and souple and they had lovely options in both ostrich and croc.

They use real brass unlike some designers that have been cutting corners in recent years. The only downside is the use of cotton lining in some of their bags. (Some people prefer leather/suede but the cotton helps to cut the weight down).
https://www.ralphlauren.com/women-accessories-handbags/calfskin-ricky-33/63326.html?dwvar63326_colorname=RL Gold&webcat=search#lang=en_US&q=ricky+bag&start=1